Men's dress for formal nights on Alaska cruise 2020

TXRed

I tried searching for the answer to no avail. So here goes...can men wear khakis, a collared shirt and cardigan or crew type sweater? If not, what is the minimum acceptable? We are hoping to go with 1 suitcase per person. Thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Not just for Alaska but for any Princess cruise/slacks and a nice shirt is all that is necessary.

Oh what a relief to read this....thank you

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

I will be wearing a button down shirt, nice slacks and sports coat

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

I will be wearing a button down shirt, nice slacks and sports coat

thanks for your reply...we are trying to keep packing to a minimum and a sports coat, since not necessary, will save room for us.

We were on the Ruby for an August Alaska Cruise. We noticed men dressed in jackets or just shirts or sweaters on the “Formal” nights.   I will say that after eating an early dinner we ran into a gentleman in one of the shops looking for a pair of pants. He said he was not allowed in the dining room in his jeans that night.  I was surprised as mostly people dressed casually on our cruise. 

• Like 1

Princess (as well as most other mainstream cruiselines) even view nice jeans (with no holes or tears) as acceptable smart casual dress.  

With that said, we saw a few people allowed into the MDR in very casual dress including one woman that had cut off jean short shorts every night in the Club Class dining.  I thought maybe it was a case of lost luggage, but lo and behold, I saw her disembark wearing long pants.  Maybe her luggage was just recovered the last evening of the cruise???  Who knows???  

There was also a man that was in a suite that had on a wife beater and gym shorts that tried to enter the Club Class area of the dining room and was told his dress was inappropriate.  Well, he put up such a fuss they ended up seating him anyway.  

Your suggestion of leaving the jacket at home is quite acceptable ... as you can see.  We also like to pack light and always wear something nice (and clean) but no suit or jacket for my DH.  He does wear a button down shirt and tie and black Dockers... never been questioned about his dress.  

• Like 1