Rhine water levels 2020 and similar topics

notamermaid

Rose Monday is nearly over, but there is still tomorrow for more celebrations and parades! I enjoyed a Berliner - the fried pastry filled with delicious jam - this afternoon and still have some Muzenblätter left for tomorrow. What that is is explained at the end of this video about a Cologne Carnival speciality, the Muzemandeln. But they are sold not only in Cologne, they are eaten in many places in the Middle Rhine valley as well and my local baker had both! Here is the video, my advice is: best not watched when hungry (grin): https://m.dw.com/en/sweet-carnival-treats-from-cologne-muzemandeln/av-52468540 

notamermaid

Traditionally, Muzen of both types are just sold from January till Veilchendienstag - today - i.e. the end of Carnival according to the Roman Catholic calendar. Tomorrow lent starts, Ash Wednesday. While Carnival is the "heyday" for Berliner which are also called Krapfen in other parts of Germany they can be bought after Carnival. It will depend on the region and the bakery that you go to.

notamermaid

11 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

So I will be in Cologne in May on Ama Stella.  What type of German pastries should I look forward to?

Good question. I am not too familiar with the world of pastry in Cologne. It is in all likelihood quite similar to ours. Personally I tend to eat cakes or chocolate croissants, shame on me for preferring French. Or British biscuits (No, do not hit me!!). To give you an idea and to really make your mouth water, here is the website of the café at the corner of the street near the Domplatz: http://www.cafe-reichard.de/index.html 

As regards more local specialities I am sure your cruise director and your guide will be able to give you some tips.

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Good question. I am not too familiar with the world of pastry in Cologne. It is in all likelihood quite similar to ours. Personally I tend to eat cakes or chocolate croissants, shame on me for preferring French. Or British biscuits (No, do not hit me!!). To give you an idea and to really make your mouth water, here is the website of the café at the corner of the street near the Domplatz: http://www.cafe-reichard.de/index.html 

As regards more local specialities I am sure your cruise director and your guide will be able to give you some tips.

notamermaid

Is this cafe located right downtown?

11 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Is this cafe located right downtown?

Yup, just round the corner from the cathedral, not towards Hohe Strasse or the old town, sort of down the steps when you have the cathedral gates behind you. Should be easy to find.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Clarification

Posted by @Wannawander

Hi Notamermaid. Sept 2018 on the Rhine and Moselle, Oct 2019 on the Danube and April 2020 We will be on the Rhine, Basel to Amsterdam for our 50th anniversary.....as long as the Coronavirus does not interfere. Do you remember me? Born in Germany after WWII, mother from Schlesien, fled from the Russians, father POW in US. My Mutti turned 100 Nov 27. We had a wonderful family party and she was so happy. We all went back home and she died in her sleep in her own bed 11 days later. We knew she had to go sometime but it feels worse when it really happens. So, life goes on..... 

We will be meeting my first cousins and their families in Cologne. They were children when my mother fled with them and their mother who was her brother’s wife, 7 children on a wagon and pregnant with the 8th. They all know and love their Tante Marthel.  I hope we will be able to travel then. Looking forward to keeping up with things on the Rhine through your informational and interesting posts.

sorry to other members about the personal info. If inappropriate I will delete.

907CBEE4-03DE-427E-92FD-F5E0526074D5.jpeg.12e0afeea7f97d3f740fd4423b09427a.jpeg

Posted by @notamermaid

Wannawander,

Of course I remember you. I was so impressed by your Mutti's life story. My condolences. I am sad to read she has gone. But she reached 💯, my goodness, with all her family celebrating with her. May she rest in peace.

Do stay in touch on the Rhine thread

If the host so wishes perhaps we could move Mutti over there, not sure where else. She deserves better than talking about coronavirus.

notamermaid

43 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well, that was a lot more work that I expected!  There is supposed to be a function to let me split posts from one thread and merge them with another, but it doesn't seem to be working – so I MacGyver'd it...

Thank you, jazzbeau. 😃  So much energy spent on this, treat yourself to a Krispie Creme (spelling?) to replenish it.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well, that was a lot more work that I expected!  There is supposed to be a function to let me split posts from one thread and merge them with another, but it doesn't seem to be working – so I MacGyver'd it...

My sweet mother loved the Rhine and is very grateful to be there I am sure. As for me, 20 lashes for subjecting her to the virus! You are a very good doctor and I thank you!

• Like 1

Just a brief look at the weather. Not nice, the sort of rain that makes for miserable looking cats. When I saw my neighbour's cat I asked her: "What are you doing outside, it is raining!" To which she jumped down from her vantage point (a potted plants table) and slowly made her way to the nearest car and hid under it.

It is only around three degrees Celsius in the valley which brings us close to snow. The altitude from which to expect snow is 200m or over. This means it could snow in for example Breisach and many hills in the Upper Rhine valley. A storm warning is in place for that region as well. During the night rain will turn into snow in the valley even in Koblenz and Cologne.

The next 14 days are predicted to be changeable. Why anyone would want to do a river cruise as early as 10 March is a mystery to me. Other than the cruise being an absolute bargain not to be ignored.

Talking of forecasts and predictions. Sunday, 1st of March will bring us into the time frame of predictions for water levels for the first sailings on the Rhine and Moselle. On the German Danube predictions are not possible this far out. So early next week I plan to have a look at the Rhine levels, with a few explanations for newcomers.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, a doughnut war! 😄

You need to be careful otherwise Aldi will bring in the Berliners and be the laughing third (or fourth). Join forces against the Berliners!

notamermaid

P.S.: I quite like Berliner but that does mean they should invade other pastries' habitat.

Because there is a large Polish-American population in Western Massachusetts, this time of year our supermarkets sell "pazcki" which is a pre-lenten type of filled donut.  They remind me of the berliners.

My son's research tells me that pazcki were baked (or fried?) as a way of getting rid of eggs, butter, and flour in anticipation of the fasting and sacrifices of lent.

Nothing like good donut trivia.  😁😁

@sharkster77

All those fatty pastries, especially with eggs in them, have the same idea in Germany as the Polish pastry: get rid of the ingredients before lent.

On Ash Wednesday the traditional food offered in places like clubs, church congregations as part of gatherings at the beginning of lent, and even some restaurants, is Matjes Hering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soused_herring

It tends to be served in a whitish, salad-cream like, sauce in my area.

Not for me thanks. I prefer other fish.

Onto more pressing matters than food, unfortunately.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added sentence

Coronavirus along the Rhine

Yes, it is so close to us, directly or indirectly, that is something I need to watch professionally as I work in a public space connected with tourism and of course prefer to check upon for my safety and those of my loved ones.

I do not want to scare anyone, but the implications are here along the Rhine. Let us start.

Switzerland has banned all large events where more than a thousand people are expected to attend. This not only affects fairs and a motor show but also leads to cancellations of some Carnival events in Basel (they celebrate later in Switzerland than in Germany).

Deutsche Welle gives a regular update on news around the world and Germany with regional details. https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-updates-stock-markets-fall-as-cases-spread/a-52566672

In the case of the husband and wife in North-Rhine Westphalia there is no trace of the person who infected them. The region where those quarantined live does not border on the Rhine. The experts appear to expect more cases as the man attended a Carnival event last week.

In Hesse cases have now been confirmed. Hesse borders on the Rhine but I have further no details on the cases.

In the case of the soldier in a hospital in Koblenz, his contact persons have been traced and isolated. Rhineland-Palatine also has another case.

Further cases have been confirmed in other regions of Germany. Most could be traced back to travels in Northern Italy.

Some supermarkets reports increased sales of non-perishable food. And the anti-bacterial hand wash is selling out in places.

A bit on the legal things. As regards cancelling local events in Germany the authority lies with the states, the federal government in Berlin issues advice on how they should act only.

notamermaid