Shore excursion question? Newer to cruising?

mgel728

If I call to book shore excursion over the phone, do I not pay for it until the end of the cruise?(and I’m assuming then could apply once to it?) I see that I can book online but would have to pay up front for it. Which is also fine but I’m anticipating some obc and would like to use it.

If you read the terms and conditions for the promotion, you are suppose to call and book without paying or book onboard. And use the shore ex credit to pay for the shore ex. 

If you choose to book online and pay in advance, you will still get the OBC to be spent onboard. 

NCL: Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 or booking onboard. 

Edited by BirdTravels

If you call ahead to book your shore excursions, the tickets will be waiting in your room when you board and will be charged to your onboard account.  Any OBC you have will offset the charges.  

If you book online tickets will still be awaiting you when you board, but you will pay for it by credit card in advance.

The only way you can phone and RESERVE shore excursions without paying for them at the time is if you have the $50 Shore Excursion "PERK".

If you don't have the "perk" you have to pay at the time either online or on the phone.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true all the time. I’ve read where other people had booked without the promo. In our case at the moment we had called in our shore excursion reservations for our upcoming Alaska cruise with the shore ex promo. There was a decent price drop a few weeks later but without the shore ex promo but I price adjusted anyhow. My excursions are still listed under my booking on line. They didn’t take them away. I’m not sure if they will or won’t.

So I was under the impression that we can book and pay online and the $50 shore excursion will be credited to our on board account after the excursion is completed.  This is fine with us as it pays off our gratuities with a little left over. Is this correct if one books online and prepays?

Edited by Buckeye10640

4 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

So I was under the impression that we can book and pay online and the $50 shore excursion will be credited to our on board account after the excursion is completed.  This is fine with us as it pays off our gratuities with a little left over. Is this correct if one books online and prepays?

I am pretty sure the $50 credit can not be used to pay gratuities.

The 50 shore excursion is a cash offset to your account and as far as I know it can be used for anything, including gratuities.  It is NOT an OBC.  Just going by how the billing appears - I've never paid in advance for my excursions (nor would I), so it's not been an issue on how it it used.

9 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily true all the time. I’ve read where other people had booked without the promo. In our case at the moment we had called in our shore excursion reservations for our upcoming Alaska cruise with the shore ex promo. There was a decent price drop a few weeks later but without the shore ex promo but I price adjusted anyhow. My excursions are still listed under my booking on line. They didn’t take them away. I’m not sure if they will or won’t.

You can always book ahead of time.  The difference is that if you don't have the promo, you have to pay in advance.  Hard to say what they do if you book without paying because you have the promo and then cancel the promo - not a normal situation so their computer might not catch it.

One other thing I wanted to point out..... If you call and pre-booked excursions without paying (like others have said, you have to have the excursion promo) the cost of all the pre-booked excursions will hit your account on the first night of the cruise.  Just be prepared to have this much room on your credit card for the hold or this much cash on your account if you set up a cash account.  You'll get the $50 credit at the conclusion of each excursion