1 hour layover in CDG

Skicruiser55

Booked air with Choice Air and we have a 1 hour connection in CDG to BCN.  Any helpful hints on how to make this happen would be greatly appreciated.  Not too concerned as there are other flights to BCN later in the day and we are flying in a week before the cruise.  

8 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Booked air with Choice Air and we have a 1 hour connection in CDG to BCN.  Any helpful hints on how to make this happen would be greatly appreciated.  Not too concerned as there are other flights to BCN later in the day and we are flying in a week before the cruise.  

Where are you coming from? Depending on that, you may or may not need to do immigration and/or security re-clearance. An hour is tight, and CDG is famously inefficient (as are most things French...sorry, it's true ;)). I certainly wouldn't do it, but it can be done at times. Also, note that while there may be more CDG-BCN flights that day, it's no guarantee you will get a seat on one. Obviously, with a week to go after getting to BCN, you'll still get there with loads of time before your cruise, but there's no guarantee you'll get there on the date you have planned. 

... and which airlines? Be aware of code sharing. Different airlines does mean different terminals. But in general an hour is sufficient when both legs are on the same reservation. However one hour is tight.

I would not be concerned getting a seat at a later time the same day in case of delays - your airline will re-book in advance.

9 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Flying Delta from SLC nonstop - transfer to Air France - on one ticket.  I can see it will most likely be a Terminal 2 E to F transfer.

It will be.

Extra-Schengen flights operate from T2E, while Intra-Schengen operate from T2F.  You will have immigration processing and security screening between flights.

Personally, I wouldn't be taking that connection.  In fact, I'm not sure that an "international to domestic" connect at CDG has a Minimum Connection Time that short.  Which makes me wonder - do you have one ticket, or do you have two tickets (combined by the cruiseline) under one locator?

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

It will be.

Extra-Schengen flights operate from T2E, while Intra-Schengen operate from T2F.  You will have immigration processing and security screening between flights.

Personally, I wouldn't be taking that connection.  In fact, I'm not sure that an "international to domestic" connect at CDG has a Minimum Connection Time that short.  Which makes me wonder - do you have one ticket, or do you have two tickets (combined by the cruiseline) under one locator?

This is a ticket listed on DL, AF & KLM website and it is on one locator number.  And you can pull it up on FlightAware as a combo when you do SLC-BCN.  We are in Business class so hoping that gives up a quicker exit.  Flight arrives CDG at 11:15am.

Edited by Skicruiser55

12 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Yikes.  I've transited CDG in an hour and five minutes and it was tight, as it barely made it and I had access to Sky Priority lines for passport check and security, and have been through the airport multiple times so somewhat familiar with it.  Be prepared for passport check and security at CDG, and you'll have to change terminals, which involves a lot of walking as well as probably either a bus or tram ride.  Boarding typically closes a few minutes before scheduled departure so you've really got less than an hour. 

12 hours ago, hallasm said:

... and which airlines? Be aware of code sharing. Different airlines does mean different terminals. But in general an hour is sufficient when both legs are on the same reservation. However one hour is tight.

I would not be concerned getting a seat at a later time the same day in case of delays - your airline will re-book in advance.

Yes, an hour is generally sufficient for a connection, but not at a huge airport like CDG, on a routing that involves passport check and security at the connection.

11 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Flying Delta from SLC nonstop - transfer to Air France - on one ticket.  I can see it will most likely be a Terminal 2 E to F transfer.

2E is actually spread across multiple buildings.  Depending which concourse you arrive to, you may have a bus or tram ride in addition to walking.  The bus, in particular, can really eat up valuable time.  It always seems like it takes forever to make its way around the property.

20 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

It will be.

Ok - another question - can I go ahead now and buy a ticket on the next later flight from CDG to BCN to guarantee I have a seat on a flight even though I have a ticket on the earlier flight (which I could miss)?  It's a cheap ticket and I have enough points that I could use points for the ticket.  Just wondering if it's legal to have 2 different flights booked on the same day?

4 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Ok - another question - can I go ahead now and buy a ticket on the next later flight from CDG to BCN to guarantee I have a seat on a flight even though I have a ticket on the earlier flight (which I could miss)?  It's a cheap ticket and I have enough points that I could use points for the ticket.  Just wondering if it's legal to have 2 different flights booked on the same day?

You probably can. But I don't see the point. You'll get to BCN with lots and lots and lots of time before your cruise. I think, worst case scenario, you may end up stuck in Paris for the night if no other CDG-BCN flight that day has seats. But I even think that might be a stretch. They'll take care of you the best they can, and you can always use your points somewhere else (and in a better way than this). 

What time of year are you doing this?  I'm thinking of the SLC-CDG part.   I hope you're NOT doing this November-March.  I'd be more worried about a snowstorm -making Highway 40 a nightmare (I've driven that between Heber & PC and not being able to see!!!), tourists not knowing how to drive in snow down I-80, and delay of the departure due to backups with de-icing.  

I'd actually look at the on-time stats for the SLC part of the flight, regardless of what time of year you are flying.  I love that airport,  but with that short of a connection, you have no time to waste. 

9 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

What time of year are you doing this?  I'm thinking of the SLC-CDG part.   I hope you're NOT doing this November-March.  I'd be more worried about a snowstorm -making Highway 40 a nightmare (I've driven that between Heber & PC and not being able to see!!!), tourists not knowing how to drive in snow down I-80, and delay of the departure due to backups with de-icing.  

I'd actually look at the on-time stats for the SLC part of the flight, regardless of what time of year you are flying.  I love that airport,  but with that short of a connection, you have no time to waste. 

Hey Slidergirl - we will be doing this in late Oct and I know all about Highway 40 - I stay home during the season if it's ugly.  If it's an issue we go into SLC and stay at an airport hotel.  The one thing that makes me a bit nervous is the NEW Terminal will just be opening in mid Sept.  While I am excited to experience it and the new Delta Sky Club I wonder how timely things will be.

My only concern with making a flight on the same day is we are flying on to Menorca on the next day and I'd hate to be stuck in CDG overnight.  We will be returning in late Nov from CDG and if you have any tips/suggestions for hotels in Paris that make it easier to get to CDG to fly out I'd appreciate it.

Kathy   

21 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Hey Slidergirl - we will be doing this in late Oct and I know all about Highway 40 - I stay home during the season if it's ugly.  If it's an issue we go into SLC and stay at an airport hotel.  The one thing that makes me a bit nervous is the NEW Terminal will just be opening in mid Sept.  While I am excited to experience it and the new Delta Sky Club I wonder how timely things will be.

My only concern with making a flight on the same day is we are flying on to Menorca on the next day and I'd hate to be stuck in CDG overnight.  We will be returning in late Nov from CDG and if you have any tips/suggestions for hotels in Paris that make it easier to get to CDG to fly out I'd appreciate it.

Kathy   

Smart person to stay home rather than risk your life on 40!!!  I used to freak myself out when I had to drive home at 11pm at night on the road (from Mayflower to I-80).   I spend the night down in SLC all the time before a flight (Usually the Sheraton downtown, but may try one of the new ones nearer the airport if I can use points).  

For starting a flight, the new terminal at SLC probably won't add too much, time wise, I'm thinking.  Connections may need more than our 15 minutes walk A-E, though.  

If you must spend the night in CDG, do the Sheraton inside the airport.  I always stay there.  If you have time to go into the city, the RER station is literally right below it.  Then, in the morning, it's quick walk to your gate.   I've even used it when I had an AM flight out the next day.  I've done RER into the city and I once got a wild hair and took the high-speed to Brussels for the day. 

Slidergirl - we plan on staying at Sheraton at CDG as we have morning flight but will spend 2 nights in Paris - any suggestions for areas/hotels to stay In Paris - it will be a Fri & Sat night.  This will be at the end of an almost 4 week trip.  

Kathy 

On 1/9/2020 at 12:17 PM, Skicruiser55 said:

Slidergirl - we plan on staying at Sheraton at CDG as we have morning flight but will spend 2 nights in Paris - any suggestions for areas/hotels to stay In Paris - it will be a Fri & Sat night.  This will be at the end of an almost 4 week trip.  

Kathy 

Hmmm.  I stayed with friends at a VRBO apartment one time over by Rue Rivoli by the St. Paul Metro stop (that's all I remember).  And, I've stayed at what was under another brand but is now the Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocodero Hotel.  It was very, very nice - a garden setting.  It was in a nice neighborhood.   It's by the Victor Hugo Plaza.   It's very walkable to Champs d' Elysee, Trockadero, and beyond.  

On 1/8/2020 at 2:54 PM, Skicruiser55 said:

You can probably book it, but it's possible that if the airline realizes you are double booked, one or the other will be canceled.  And if the canceled flight is part of a round trip itinerary, the remaining itinerary might get repriced as a one way flight.