Moderno Churrascaria

Just now, vadersprincess12 said:

Hello Everyone ~ wondering about your experience at this restaurant, especially the salad bar.  The information says 42+ items; wondering what types.

Thanks!

Princess, as soon as I see this font I skip, it’s impossible to read on a phone.

• Like 3

We've eaten at Moderno on three different NCL ships.  We've come to learn that they tend to overcook the meats (medium-well to well-done), far beyond what most should be.  Thus they are dry and chewy typically.  The salad bar is well stocked, but given this is a Churrascaria, the meats should really be the feature.

11 hours ago, waterjock said:

They also sent out the cheaper cuts out first to fill you up before they sent out filet. Sometimes they run out of the better meats before they get to your table.Than your offered meats that you have already tried.

I don't find this to be true, since people get seated at different times and the meats are always rotating throughout the restaurant.  If you want a certain meat first, ask your server or the maitre'd.

The salad/appetizer bar is amazing, and also includes soups which I don't think were mentioned above.

The grilled pineapple is terrific, better than any dessert on Moderno's menu.

11 hours ago, waterjock said:

They also sent out the cheaper cuts out first to fill you up before they sent out filet. Sometimes they run out of the better meats before they get to your table.Than your offered meats that you have already tried.

Sometimes I have waited for filet, but last time the filet came right away.  It was offered a second time later in the evening. So, it might be lucky or unlucky timing...you happened to finish your salad just after the filet made the rounds.  Doubt  it is a conspiracy to fill you up.

To the OP:  I do enjoy the salad app soup bar.  Lots of choices.

We've done Moderno twice, both times on the Dawn.  First time was amazing.  My husband said he would have paid the surcharge for the salad bar alone.  Meats were good.  We really enjoyed it.  Second time was a couple of years later and the salad bar wasn't as diverse as it was the first time and the meats were just ok.  We are on the Pearl next month and have the specialty dining package.  So we are giving it another try.  This will determine whether we do it for our cruise in May on the Getaway.

1 hour ago, Sauer-kraut said:

The whole point of a Churrascaria   is to eat the meat, our strategy for the land based ones around here is just to sit and eat the meat.  Barely eat the potatoes and only half of the cheese roll. 

True enough at land-based restaurants.  I love lamb chops.  I broil them every Sunday for dinner.  The chops at Moderno just aren't very good.  I take generous helpings of interesting items from the Moderno salad bar and just a few samples of the meat offerings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sauer-kraut said:

The whole point of a Churrascaria   is to eat the meat, our strategy for the land based ones around here is just to sit and eat the meat.  Barely eat the potatoes and only half of the cheese roll. 

Totally agree. The meat is cooked to a medium rare and you actually have to ask to get a piece more well cooked. Great food

• Like 1

We've eaten at Moderno on 3 ships, most recently on Escape this past October, and they did ask us how we like the meats cooked, and we were able to get medium rare filet.  So at least on that ship, it was as though they had heard the complaints about meat being too overcooked.    Overall, we really like it.  Although it doesn't have the assortment you'd find at Fogo, the salad bar is really good (with lots to choose from), the meats have been fine, the pineapple is also really good.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:16 PM, FLAHAM said:

Salad bar:  very good.  Many interesting items.  Easily the best salad bar on the ship.  The meats:  not so great. 

I agree the salad is great but the meats are extremely very very salty . We only go for the salad bar and one or two pcs. of meat. The roasted pineapple is amazing.

Last month on the Gem, the Asst. Maître D’s was very, super helpful & friendly, attentive and checked with us - and, other guests during our meal ... making sure we get our wishes, asking us if we wanted a particular choice of meat again and how it's cooked - that he and the wait team will get on it (without waiting for the rotation).  Also, reminded us to try out the sliced pineapple (which we know, to wait toward the end) - that we could take the dessert to go, if we are full.  

Now, that's going above & beyond ... it helped that Moderno on these mid-sized ships are smaller, with a seating capacity of about 50 to 60 guests only - and, it wasn't that busy that evening. The lobster bisque was one of the two choice of soup, included and very good - I'm pretty sure it's same as served next door at Cagney's - for a la carte charge of $9 plus 20%.  

Services on the mega/+ ships can be hit-and-miss, in part because of its sheer size.  

Edited by mking8288

We eat in Moderno when we have a FREE coupon, Platinum Plus so every other cruise, BUT we would NOT pay the $45+ that is the going price now.

Especially they no longer do the seafood chowder among other things.  The standard isn't what it was 3-4 years ago.

I'm curious who the target cruiser is for this.   I live in a city that has several restaurants of this type and the price on board was the same price as back home with no discounts.   I can go with my male coworkers pretty much whenever but my wife and kids would never want to eat this way on board.  

I guess I'd have to live outside of a major city and eat alone or travel with friends to make this work for me.

We always eat at Moderno, I really like the salad bar, heart of palms, and baked cheese and other things not normally found on a salad bar. I never had any issues with the meat, but I tend to like my meat fully cooked and not bloody.

Will be on the Dawn at the end of February, and definitely using one of our 3 nights there.