Is a RC cruise good for children??

Looking for opinions on whether or not a RC cruise is good for children ages 7 and 12.  Me husband and I cruised RC a few times before we had children and it was great!!  Considering a RC cruise with my children.  I appreciate any feedback! 

Thanks!

Yes, my kids are 13, and 10 now, but we've been cruising on RCI since they   were 9 and 6. There are so many activity's for them on the newer cruise ships. If your going to go on anthem or oasis they will love it.

Absolutely. Never took my children on board when they were young enough to attend the Kids clubs so can't comment on that, but Royal is geared toward family activities.
Iceskating, Flo Riders, Movies,  Rock climbing, kids activities, etc, all cater to families. Lots of children on board. 
Having experienced other Lines, I would definitely choose Royal as my cruise line if I still had young children. I’m sure that you will get plenty of feedback from those who do.

• Thanks 1

Just now, maksmom109 said:

Thanks so much for your input.  Are kids able to attend the night time shows?

Yes, But my kids don't want to hang out with me at night. They would rather be in the kids/teen club. lol

My granddaughter loved her time on Oasis and then Anthem, although she liked Anthem better because of the bumper cars.  We did, however, make her come with us to the shows and she liked those better than the kids club.  Your kids will enjoy either class but we feel there is more on Quantum class.  My opinion and I am sure there are some who would much rather be on Oasis class.

• Thanks 1

There are a lot of activities for children and they will certainly enjoy.  My kids enjoyed the kids club Royal Caribbean has and the additional activities on board like iFly, bumper cars etc were a hit.  From a family budget perspective though I find RC expensive on the cabin rate for families.  There are other cruise lines which offer a kids cruise free (pay only taxes) offers.  These are the Italian lines.  Take a look at Costa and MSC.  I have done both these lines and compare then to RC with the amenities available and a family cruise can be about 50% cheaper because of their rate structure.  They all have kids clubs, pools, arcades, stage shows, buffets, lounges with live music, spa.  Another thing about Costa is the frequent travel club is by spend+nights over 3 years not lifetime nights.  We cruised Costa 2x and are mid tier VIPs for example.  

Costa is my cruise line of choice because of value for money.  Some people hate it because they charge for bottled water and the first announcement language is in Italian and pizza and ice cream are chargeable.  But if you get past those points and realize you are saving thousands of dollars, it's easy to appreciate what they have to offer instead.

22 hours ago, maksmom109 said:

Thanks, Bob.  The one we were looking at, Anthem of the Seas, is a Quantum class ship  Seems like there is lots to do.

My brother, sister in law and 11 yr old niece were on Anthem for 12 days in Dec. They did it because the year before they did Anthem for 7 days and my niece complained it wasn't long enough. This time they boarded on the 8th and she turned 11 on the 9th and she still hasn't stopped raving about it! 

My oldest was 6 1/2 when we sailed Independence of the Seas last year, and between the new kiddie water park area and the kids club, he had a blast! He also enjoyed laser tag although got a little bit frustrated with playing against teens and adults. There were plenty of other activities and things he enjoyed, so much that we're sailing on the same ship again this year. 

Absolutely! We've cruised RCCL, Disney and MSC with DD (almost 9) and RCCL is by far her favorite. We've sailed Oasis Class (Allure and Harmony) and Voyager Class (Mariner) with her. She loves the kids club and activities (water slides, flowrider, sky pad, rock wall, ice skating, dry slide, etc.)! 

• Like 1

Anthem has the circus school class.  You have to sign up for this onboard (and I think just before the class) but kids might like swinging from a trapeze.  Make sure they (and you) sign up for iFly as soon as it shows up in the Cruise Planner.

We’ve done Disney and RCL and my boys (13,8) prefer RCL by a huge margin. They said it’s a lot more activities and fewer kids on the ship (September/December sailings). They prefer Oasis class, but the Mariner has enough stuff to keep them busy for 4 days. We’ve got 2 more trips planned for this year!  Coco Cay is amazing and we had to drag them back to the ship at the end of the day.  In some ports they opted to stay on the ship and enjoy the activities there over going in an excursion. 

In fact, they both said they prefer the cruise over going to Disney too!  

• Like 1

our similar-aged kids have enjoyed Oasis and Liberty, but Oasis had lots more to do. We are booked on Grandeur later this month and I'm a bit worried they'll be bored so am bringing some card games along and we bought the drink package so will relax and play games if need be. I'm certain it will be a great time and so are my kids.