SILVER SEAS – HOW IS IT LIKE COMPARED TO CRUISING WITH OCEANIA, VIKING OR AZAMARA?

Gnoelj

We are looking at a cruise on the Silver Shadow.

However, we have never cruised with Silver Seas. Our past experience has been with Viking Ocean, Azamara and Oceania (and a few others).

For folks who have cruised with Silver Seas as well as with either Azamara, Oceania or Viking (or all of them), could you perhaps tell us what you think the quality  and experience is  like comparing cruising with Silver Seas , and with either or all of these three cruise lines? Would we be overwhelmed or underwhelmed?

f meals and wines on board. For sit-down non-buffet meals, in the restaurants,  what would drive us up the wall (well, just a little bit!) would be to sit for long periods of time before the food arrives!  Food served hot is also high on our list for extra brownie points!!!

We realise that on board activities (especially entertainment in the theatre) on Oceania and Viking are not  really their strengths, but you tell us,  what do you think their activities are like on  Silver Seas ships compared to  ships on those 3 cruise lines?

Just for information, if we book on the Silver Shadow, it will just be one of their standard verandah. On Oceania, we usually prefer their “O” ships rather than the smaller “R” ones. Strangely enough, for Azamara, as all their ships are “R” ships, for some reason, we did not mind that at all!

Looking forward to hear from you with your views. We learn new things every day, that’s our motto!

PS: We are going to place this discussion on all the boards of the four cruise lines, to get a more balanced view from various cruisers.

PPS: To show that we have not really "deserted" Oceania, we have already booked our next Oceania cruise on the Marina!

Edited by Gnoelj

5 hours ago, Gnoelj said:

We are looking at a cruise on the Silver Shadow.

However, we have never cruised with Silver Seas. Our past experience has been with Viking Ocean, Azamara and Oceania (and a few others).

For folks who have cruised with Silver Seas as well as with either Azamara, Oceania or Viking (or all of them), could you perhaps tell us what you think the quality  and experience is  like comparing cruising with Silver Seas , and with either or all of these three cruise lines? Would we be overwhelmed or underwhelmed?

f meals and wines on board. For sit-down non-buffet meals, in the restaurants,  what would drive us up the wall (well, just a little bit!) would be to sit for long periods of time before the food arrives!  Food served hot is also high on our list for extra brownie points!!!

We realise that on board activities (especially entertainment in the theatre) on Oceania and Viking are not  really their strengths, but you tell us,  what do you think their activities are like on  Silver Seas ships compared to  ships on those 3 cruise lines?

Just for information, if we book on the Silver Shadow, it will just be one of their standard verandah. On Oceania, we usually prefer their “O” ships rather than the smaller “R” ones. Strangely enough, for Azamara, as all their ships are “R” ships, for some reason, we did not mind that at all!

Looking forward to hear from you with your views. We learn new things every day, that’s our motto!

PS: We are going to place this discussion on all the boards of the four cruise lines, to get a more balanced view from various cruisers.

PPS: To show that we have not really "deserted" Oceania, we have already booked our next Oceania cruise on the Marina!

In all fairness  your asking to make a comparison between  two totally different products.   There is no way to compare.

With your  experience and tastes in past cruising .  Only YOU can make those comparisons and I , not being you can not  be objective as to what your value and tastes are.

I strongly suggest you sit down withe your travel agent and look at what and how Silver seas operates and provides and to what demographics.   Really ,only YOU can resolve the questions you ask.

I agree with Dan above.

I can give you my preferences but that may not apply to you - there is nothing like trying a cruise line for yourself and then decide how it compares in your opinion.

I liked the personalized service and attention - especially on their smaller ships like Cloud & Wind - but hated their formal dress code enforced ship-wide.

You can’t go really wrong with Silversea but only you can decide if they are worth the extra cost to you and whether you feel comfortable with the overall ambiance of Silversea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello, folks! Oh Lord help me, I hate to be negative...but I do want to be truthful about our Silverseas experience.

We have sailed one time on Silverseas, on Shadow. It was for the Monaco Grand Prix, so we paid a hefty price tag for what we expected to be a luxurious experience, especially given the SS “advertising brochure”. We have done GO cruises before on other luxury lines, so we know and expect a GO cruise to be much more expensive than a regular med cruise. That’s just life, and we accept it.

In all candor, and with deference to SS devotees, our overall experience, EXCEPT for viewing the race practice day and the actual race day, was a *stunning* disappointment. The food was inferior to Oceania, and in fact even inferior to the cuisine that we recalled from our Celebrity/ pre-Oceania days back in the late 90s/early 2000s...as in, pre-Royal Caribbean merger. We were very disappointed in their specialty French restaurant; it was advertised to be the highlight of dining experiences onboard, however we found the food quite...ordinary. Certainly not anywhere close in quality to Jacques.

The service in the bars was very poor, the liquor selection was inferior, and what really bothered me was the liquors on clear display were cheap...to get something like a Woodford Bourbon, one had to request it over and over again. This seemed so tacky to me. Oh, and on a humorous note, our bartender at the bar that was similar to the O Martinis Bar, that poor child of God couldn’t make a martini without losing the top off the shaker and splashing the cocktail all over the place. We would strategically choose our seats so as not to be doused by gin or vodka. It was kind of funny...but also, pathetic.

Entertainment was okay, nothing great. No art work to speak of. The ship does have great square footage per person, and the cabins were VERY comfortable with walk in closets and a lovely large bathroom. Toiletries, advertised at the time to be Hermès or Bulgari, were actually a no-name generic affair, nothing special. No bath salts as we enjoy on Riviera and Marina. The beds were quite comfortable. Sadly, getting a HOT cup of coffee through room service with breakfast was impossible- I never understood how this could be, it’s a small ship.

We got the clear impression that the crew is not happy, and that showed in their service. One exception to this was the reception desk staff, they were terrific.

Now the disclaimer:  having said all of this, it truly is a matter of personal tastes and choices, as well as priorities of what is important to you in enjoying your trip. For my husband and I, we were turned off by our experience and in all honestly, we cannot imagine sailing with SS ever again. 
So that’s my opinion...and opinions are worth about what you pay for them...😉

Silversea is hands down our favorite.  But as everyone has said, it's really a matter of personal choice and taste. What is important to you?   I like that we don't have to pay for drinks, gratuities, internet, or anything really....and the staff is professional and intuitive.  The cabins are sizable, the beds are comfortable, the food is excellent and the size of the ships make it so they are not crowded.  Viking is very very good, but not all inclusive--- best spa at sea, and very good chill vibe.  Never been on Azamara--size of cabins are important and theirs are small.....

5 hours ago, suzeshoes said:

I like that we don't have to pay for drinks, gratuities, internet, or anything really

To be more accurate - you don’t have to pay EXTRA once onboard for all those things and that’s because you already paid for them ahead of the time.

There is a difference between free and included 😊

• Like 3

Personal taste is of course what will determine how you like Silversea. I've sailed Oceania (loved it, next cruise booked for Sept.-Northern Europe), Silversea, and Viking Ocean. I have not sailed Azamara. 

In my opinion, Silversea was as perfect as a cruise could be. Cabins were wonderful, food was spectacular (especially La Dame) and so was the service. Enjoyed my daily delivery of Champaign with appetizers at 4 every afternoon. Negatives? Ship itself was not all that impressive and after 6,  a jacket was required in most parts of the ship. For one that doesn't like getting dressed up, that was a a hardship. Overall, great cruise-Would I cruise again? Probably. 

Viking Ocean was probably the nicest ship I've been on. Cabins were nice and service was excellent. Food was at best, OK. I was hoping the food would be better than on their river product but is really wasn't. Loved the casual aspect, never had to dress up. No kids running around was nice too. Ship was nice enough that we are also sailing Viking Ocean again just knowing we won't go hungry but won't be blown away at mealtime. 

Hands down favorite for ocean cruising is Oceania. Everything pretty perfect except for their stupid internet policy. Only one sign in. Everyone else gives you two. 

One deluxe line not mentioned was Regent. We were totally underwhelmed. Food was good, not great. Entertainment was worse than my high school jazz band. Service was good and our cabin ceiling had toilet paper and Kleenex stuffed in the tiles to keep from making noise. We usually do not take ship excursions but did on Regent as they were included, They were excellent. 

Just one man's opinion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

To be more accurate - you don’t have to pay EXTRA once onboard for all those things and that’s because you already paid for them ahead of the time.

I agree but I rather have things included than have to review a long invoice. If not included, I'll buy the package every time. Last Oceania cruise, I know I did not break even with the drink package as it was a port intensive itinerary. Didn't care.

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

And I'm guessing that the math generally works out in the cruise line's favor?

1 hour ago, clo said:

And I'm guessing that the math generally works out in the cruise line's favor?

They do not offer all the extras ( which you pay for) to loose money.   Neither does O or any line really.  maybe 30-40% make out but 60-70% of passengers do not..   like the liquor packages...too profit you have to drink 7 or more drinks per day.  No problem for say the first 4 or 5 days.  Then like food consumption, there is a normal tendency to become satiated  and you eat and drink less and less each day.   Cruise lines know this all too well.   Champagne every day wont be all that fun after a week, and thats on a 7 day !!!    Picture your self on a 14 or 21 day!!!     Could you would you keep up???    I could not....Maybe at 22.... bit not  today.

8 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

They do not offer all the extras ( which you pay for) to loose money.   Neither does O or any line really.  maybe 30-40% make out but 60-70% of passengers do not..   like the liquor packages...too profit you have to drink 7 or more drinks per day.  No problem for say the first 4 or 5 days.  Then like food consumption, there is a normal tendency to become satiated  and you eat and drink less and less each day.   Cruise lines know this all too well.   Champagne every day wont be all that fun after a week, and thats on a 7 day !!!    Picture your self on a 14 or 21 day!!!     Could you would you keep up???    I could not....Maybe at 22.... bit not  today.

Good explanation. Bob got tired of lobster after a few days 🙂 

I am sure they make plenty of money because remember their actual costs are much lower than the selling price. But OTOH, i don't mind being behind a little at least because of the added convenience of not having to worry about individual drinks, ordering doubles etc, seeing an itemised bill at the end...