Pacific Princess questions - is it old and tired?

RachelNYC

4 hours ago, RachelNYC said:

Ahh - ok.  Got it 🙂

I really don't want a "kid ship" for Alaska.  My kids will be in 3rd and 5th grade and I really want them to appreciate and learn about Alaska.  I don't particularly want them to be distracted by flying on a trapeze or bumper cars!

Do you think there are ANY family activities on PP?  Name That Tune? Kareoke? Family Friendly Trivia?

We have sailed PP many times, and it's our favorite Princess ship.  Generally few kids and so no, they didn't have "family/kid" oriented activities like you are asking.  The passenger participation things like trivia were at the adult level (adult does not mean risque here, but means younger kids probably wouldn't be able to add to the game).   IMHO this ship may not be ideal for your situation and for what you are looking to experience as a family.  As for large passenger numbers, you will probably be landing at a port along with the large mega-ships, and so won't avoid the crowds just because you're on a small ship.  In your case I would recommend one of the Grand class ships like the Grand Princess.

23 minutes ago, Shoalwater said:

We have sailed PP many times, and it's our favorite Princess ship.  Generally few kids and so no, they didn't have "family/kid" oriented activities like you are asking.  The passenger participation things like trivia were at the adult level (adult does not mean risque here, but means younger kids probably wouldn't be able to add to the game).   IMHO this ship may not be ideal for your situation and for what you are looking to experience as a family.  As for large passenger numbers, you will probably be landing at a port along with the large mega-ships, and so won't avoid the crowds just because you're on a small ship.  In your case I would recommend one of the Grand class ships like the Grand Princess.

I agree 100% with what you say.

Except the Grand would be the last ship I would recommend.

if it's a Grand Class ship it at least has to have a Skywalkers and not an abundance of plumbing leaks throughout the ship.  😉

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shoalwater said:

As for large passenger numbers, you will probably be landing at a port along with the large mega-ships, and so won't avoid the crowds just because you're on a small ship.  

Unfortunately, Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan seem to always have multiple ships in port at the same time.

You could check one of the web sites that has port schedules if you are interested.

4 hours ago, RachelNYC said:

This is so good to hear!  Do you remember if there’s any on board programming geared to all ages?

We just got off the Pacific Princess on January 5. We started in Civitavecchia, Italy on December 4. It was a back-to-back and our DD with two grandkids joined us in Fort Lauderdale for a 14-day Christmas & New Years trip into the eastern Caribbean.

While there weren't enough kids on board to have a dedicated kid's counselor, there was a definite change to the programming. Evening games up in the Pacific Lounge changed from PG-17 to PG-13 is one example. There were a couple of young travelers get-togethers so all the kids could meet up. Our two grandkids were 13 and 17 and quickly made new friends. Being a holiday cruise, some of the more senior officers had their families onboard, including their children (even the captain's son was onboard) and they all mingled and got along well. It ended up in the evening games the kids all teamed up to challenge the adults and even won a few as they knew the more recent music stars and so on.

I wouldn't hesitate to take kids on the Pacific Princess to Alaska. As another poster commented, the walking/jogging track on deck 10 provides great views on both sides of the ship. If you want to see what's coming, the Pacific Lounge has forward facing windows and for the rear views, the Panorama Buffet (it's not a Horizon Court but serves the same purpose) has an open rear deck seating area that is the best place ever to have a meal with wonderful views.

The pool is not covered and is kind of small but for our most recent trip, it was heated. It's salt water as well.

Recent refurbs have redone the cabins and several of the venues. The open deck 9 has very nice loungers with pads and other round couches. Cabins are much brighter and fresh. USB ports are in the lamp base on the nightstands. The Pacific Lounge got all new furniture.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, echoshipmate said:

Does it have anytime dining or it is it traditional, early and or late?

Fixed early and late seating.

However they do have Club Class (anytime) dining for Full Suite and Club Class Mini suite passengers.

6 minutes ago, cflutist said:

Fixed early and late seating.

However they do have Club Class (anytime) dining for Full Suite and Club Class Mini suite passengers.

Is club class true anytime ?   We will be in her for 14 days later this year 

Just now, memoak said:

Is club class true anytime ?   We will be in her for 14 days later this year 

When we were on her in 2018 it was a 45 min leeway from the start time of the fixed dining times. However I did read that someone more recently could arrive anytime and they were served. It is a very small area of the dining room. We noticed that in Norway pax preferred to dine later than earlier.

1 hour ago, Crystabel said:

We were in a full suite on the Ocean Princess, which is a sister ship of the Pacific, and it did have a wet bar. Perhaps there are some differences between the two ships. 

I watched a U tube video of the owners suite I have booked and I did not see a wet bar or any area for a bar set up.  Where do you mix drinks when you have a party??

Not all suites have a wet bar but every one has had a bar area.

thanks for taking the time to reply

Sandy,

There was no wetbar in the full suites that I remember on the Pacific Princess or the Ocean/Tahitian Princess.  We have been in full suites on both ships.  Of course the Ocean is long gone to Oceania now.  We used the dining table for pretty much everything. Where the TV is they have the refrigerator in one of the doors below.  If you look at CFlutist's pictures you will see the bar setup on the dining table.  We used that table quite a bit which is where you will mix your drinks. 

Loved the 2 bathrooms.

Susan

I just looked through all of our photos for the Owner's Suite 8067 that we stayed in on the Pacific Princess and I didn't find a wet bar.

We hosted afternoon tea for our CC RollCall group but didn't host a party where alcohol was served.

The Grand Class (Grand and Star) penthouse suites that we stayed in had wetbars. The new Premium and Penthouse suites on the Majestic Princess had an area above the mini fridge where our mini bars were set up, however there was no sink with running water.

CFlutist your pictures of the ship are excellent.  We love these ships and now love sailing on Azamara since they have these ships also.  We were on the Pacific a year and half ago and have it booked for next year again also.  Granted this size of ship isn't for everyone, but we love it.

Yes on the Grand Class ships the full suites do have the wetbars.  They are small but useful along with the desk in the cabin by them. 

Thanks for posting the link to your photos.

Susan

21 minutes ago, Hulagirl said:

CFlutist your pictures of the ship are excellent.  We love these ships and now love sailing on Azamara since they have these ships also.  We were on the Pacific a year and half ago and have it booked for next year again also.  Granted this size of ship isn't for everyone, but we love it.

Yes on the Grand Class ships the full suites do have the wetbars.  They are small but useful along with the desk in the cabin by them. 

Thanks for posting the link to your photos.

Susan

Yes we have been sailing on Oceania as well. We have the same suite 7004 booked for the Pacific to French Polynesia and the Regatta to Alaska. I love Oceania cuisine, 28-day dry aged USDA Prime grade beef in their steakhouse. Lobster every day at the grill for lunch, and a slew of No Sugar Added desserts and ice cream/gelato for me (am diabetic).

Silversea is also nice but they are all inclusive and we really don't drink. Alcohol flowed freely on that ship which had 200 pax and 240 crew to Antarctica. 

I think we need to look at Oceania also.  I get their brochures weekly.  We have been happy with Azamara so far, but always nice to try another line. 

As far as the OP with her question.  I do think you will like the Pacific Princess for Alaska.  Your kids sound like family time is much preferred which is very nice.  Great memories for all of you. 

Susan

11 hours ago, Hulagirl said:

Sandy,

There was no wetbar in the full suites that I remember on the Pacific Princess or the Ocean/Tahitian Princess.  We have been in full suites on both ships.  Of course the Ocean is long gone to Oceania now.  We used the dining table for pretty much everything. Where the TV is they have the refrigerator in one of the doors below.  If you look at CFlutist's pictures you will see the bar setup on the dining table.  We used that table quite a bit which is where you will mix your drinks. 

Loved the 2 bathrooms.

Susan

Hi Susan,  I almost called you to ask about it.  WeI always use the sink at the wet bar and was disappointed  the Royal and Regal  did not have it.   I did look carefully at the pictures and did see the bar set up on the table.   I have a feeling Mac and his friends will probably be on our balcony most of the time with their camera's set up and will enjoy ordering room service.   The desk in the bedroom may be our bar!!

I thought of you last night when I was looking for a cruise for Nov 2021.  I have the island booked - Med and ta to FLL but we had a month of terrible vibrations in our suite after they screwed the up the stern by adding more cabins.  I swore I would never book it again but it goes to some different ports.  Anyway I was looking at the Diamond doing Japan.  Mike said 6 weeks is a little more than he liked so I want to keep it to 4 weeks.  Take care,  Sandy

14 hours ago, compozer said:

I watched a U tube video of the owners suite I have booked and I did not see a wet bar or any area for a bar set up.  Where do you mix drinks when you have a party??

Not all suites have a wet bar but every one has had a bar area.

thanks for taking the time to reply

Oops, my bad! I was looking at the pictures of our suite on the Sea Princess. I don’t believe there was a wet bar on the Ocean. 

We just got off the Christmas cruise on the Pacific, having last been on her 3 years ago. She’s in wonderful shape, much better than 3 years ago due to last summer’s refurbishment. The staterooms have the new luxury beds. The bathrooms weren’t remodeled, but that was fine.  They have at least worked on replacing the toilet components that were failing a few years ago. 

As for children, I would not at all recommend this ship. I know you say your kids don’t need the kids’ club, but the activities you mention them enjoying may or may not happen. In 2016, we had hardly any of those activities onboard. We played Scrabble every night because there was imply nothing going on. This cruise, they offered tons, and the cruise director said that was their intent. It’ll be hit or miss for you in AK, depending on the cruise director and onboard demographic. 

How about going for the Coral, since she’s bigger and will have plenty of kids’ entertainment without being a big, big ship? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

We just got off the Christmas cruise on the Pacific, having last been on her 3 years ago. She’s in wonderful shape, much better than 3 years ago due to last summer’s refurbishment. The staterooms have the new luxury beds. The bathrooms weren’t remodeled, but that was fine.  They have at least worked on replacing the toilet components that were failing a few years ago. 

As for children, I would not at all recommend this ship. I know you say your kids don’t need the kids’ club, but the activities you mention them enjoying may or may not happen. In 2016, we had hardly any of those activities onboard. We played Scrabble every night because there was imply nothing going on. This cruise, they offered tons, and the cruise director said that was their intent. It’ll be hit or miss for you in AK, depending on the cruise director and onboard demographic. 

How about going for the Coral, since she’s bigger and will have plenty of kids’ entertainment without being a big, big ship? 

Thanks so much - I’m starting to think you might be right.  We certainly want some activities we can do as a family and would be bummed if we were keeping ourselves busy with board games all the time!

I will check out the Coral - but I don’t know if she is sailing Alaska this summer. 

47 minutes ago, RachelNYC said:

Thanks so much - I’m starting to think you might be right.  We certainly want some activities we can do as a family and would be bummed if we were keeping ourselves busy with board games all the time!

I will check out the Coral - but I don’t know if she is sailing Alaska this summer. 

Yes the Coral is in Alaska this summer 2020