Luggage handling on a Cruisetour

Jacobs Ema

We have cruised before, but never a land sea deal. We are Booked for a southbound trip, which means land tour first. My question is what happens to the luggage I pack for the cruise portion? Do I have to schlep a useless big bag around with me for a week? I have a much smaller bag for the land portion.

We did a land tour of Patagonia and then a cruise to Antarctica and had all our luggage with us but we wore a lot of the same clothes on each trip. If you're going to be on a motor coach for the land section, I wonder if they could keep it on the coach.

53 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

I think you get answers on the forum for the cruise line offering your cruisetour.

The one we did was through a land-based tour operator and they should certainly have the info.

6 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

We have cruised before, but never a land sea deal. We are Booked for a southbound trip, which means land tour first. My question is what happens to the luggage I pack for the cruise portion? Do I have to schlep a useless big bag around with me for a week? I have a much smaller bag for the land portion.

What cruise are you going on and With which cruise line?  

7 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

@Jacobs Ema

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum that is for general questions about cruising. 👍  

I see from your other posts you are sailing on NCL Jewel. I have moved your thread to the correct forum.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

I did an Alaska southbound cruisetour last summer.  We had our same bus for the entire tour, so yes, leaving luggage on the bus would have been an option.  But at the hotels, our luggage was brought to our rooms when we arrived, and picked up in the morning, so having all the luggage each day wasn't an issue.

Packing tip: Prior to your tour, you will get information on which hotels they will be using - I googled the hotels and found that some had laundry facilities, so was able to cut down on what I packed.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 12:01 AM, julig22 said:

Packing tip: Prior to your tour, you will get information on which hotels they will be using - I googled the hotels and found that some had laundry facilities, so was able to cut down on what I packed.

Great tip, thanks

In a simple sense - your luggage is with you in your cabin on the cruise ship - - -

For the tours your luggage maybe in the belly of the bus conveyance or trucked ahead to your hotel that night.

You select the clothing best suited for the weather conditions to take with you in a carry on.

In some cases your luggage at your hotel accommodations is picked up right in your room or taken to the

hotel lobby for loading.

Upon arrival at your hotel your luggage is taken by hotel bell man to your hotel room.

It is a remarkable simple solution to not having to deal by yourself with loads of luggage.

Tipping and gratuities are factored in but you can offered on your own - - -

Some folks like the southbound Alaska trips in that you are living out of your suitcase from night to night

and then can relax on the cruise ship the next 7 or so days - northbound you have your luggage with you

in your cabin making easy quick changeable wardrobe fixes - and then planning more carefully for what is

needed for land tour portions since your luggage is not readily available for changes.

HINT: Steamer Trunks and no longer appreciated -

think modern day Wheelies or Spinners - bags with WHEELS !     LOL !