Best restaurant with sunset view in Santorini

CheriCruise

We had dinner at Argo a few years ago and really enjoyed it.  We made a reservation in advance and a had a great table to watch the sunset.   Food was delicous and service was friendly.  We plan to go again when we visit Santorini later this year.

• Like 1

Sphinx  in Oia - fantastic food, gorgeous views!  https://www.sphinxwinerestaurant.com/

La Scala in Fira - wonderful views overlooking the caldera.  https://lascala-santorini.com/

As CruiserBruce noted, there are many restaurants that offer views - you can check-out TripAdvisor for lots of options including menus and location.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Does it matter if you want to be at Fira?   I have heard that the communities between Fira and Oia can be some of the best views and fewer crowds???   If you can manage to be in that area at sunset. 

Of course Fira would be convenient to head back to your ship. 

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, CheriCruise said:

This looks amazing! Do you think there would be enough time to eat, enjoy sunset and get back to Fira and the ship? Sunset is 7:50 pm and our departure time is 10 pm.

I think you would be cutting it far too close. We took the boat to Ammoudi & then the bus to Oia - all told, this took about 50 minutes. How would you get back? Taxi? If you are planning on utilizing the cable car, there are often long. long queues in the late afternoon/evening before the ships depart - I would check to see how many ships are in port. We had to be back aboard our ship 30 minutes prior to sail away. 

Does the ship offer any tours to Oia that you could join?

To be on the safe side, I would watch the sunset from one of the restaurants in Fira. JMHO

Edited by dogs4fun

3 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I think you would be cutting it far too close. We took the boat to Ammoudi & then the bus to Oia - all told, this took about 50 minutes. How would you get back? Taxi? If you are planning on utilizing the cable car, there are often long. long queues in the late afternoon/evening before the ships depart - I would check to see how many ships are in port. We had to be back aboard our ship 30 minutes prior to sail away. 

Does the ship offer any tours to Oia that you could join?

I agree ... that is why I am looking at restaurants in Fira. Looks like only 2 ships in port on our date in April, and we are the only one there until 10 pm.

3 hours ago, CheriCruise said:

This looks amazing! Do you think there would be enough time to eat, enjoy sunset and get back to Fira and the ship? Sunset is 7:50 pm and our departure time is 10 pm.

I think you will be fine if you finish eating and pay your bil before the sunset.  You could arrange to have a taxi waiting or ask the restaurant to call you a taxi for 8 pm.  Email them and ask them if they can arrange for it.

But have dinner in Fira if you feel more comfortable with the timing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

You should consider the logistics vs the time!   If your ship is scheduled to leave at 10pm they would normally schedule the last tender at 9:30.    That means you would need to be down to the tender area by 9:15 (at the latest) and it can take an hour (or more) to get down on the cable car if many others have the same idea  (the cable car only moves a max of 600 persons per hour).   Now you also must consider that sunset in April is around 7:45 - 8:00 pm depending on what part of the month.  What this all means is that unless you have a fast car waiting in Oia you will be limited to seeing the sunset from Fira.  

All this is further complicated by dealing with restaurants around sunset time.  It is difficult to perfectly time when to have dinner, how long it will take to get your dinner, your check, etc.  I am not trying to rain on your parade but simply pointing out the realities.  I have long suggested that the best way to enjoy sunsets on Santorini is to schedule a multi-night vacation to the island :).

By the way, one of the two most romantic sunsets I have ever experienced was at Santorini, but not from shore.  DW and I were in a hot tub on the upper deck of the original Star Princess when she was still sitting in the cauldron off of Fira.  As the sun set the reflection off the cliffs of Santorini was simply amazing.  We actually liked that sunset more then the ones we have witnessed from the island.  The #1 sunset we have seen happened when walking across the Galata Bridge in Istanbul.  The colors in the sky and reflecting off the city were beyond description and at that moment there was the haunting Muslim Call to Prayer echoing from numerous loud speakers all over the city.  That was one of those perfect moments that can never be planned...but simply happens.

Hank