Letter confirming when we reach Bahamas waters

sassy1ja

Hello All--

Looking for some guidance as the customer service line wasn't able to answer my question.  Getting married in Nassau next month on the port stop.  We were told to legally be married in Bahamas we need a letter from the captain stating when we arrived in Bahamian waters.  Anyone know how to go about getting this?

Found this online under a search for "ship captain's letter for bahamas marriage."

Bahamas

Residency Requirement: At least 24 hours. (Use your passport stamp to prove when you arrived or if you arrive by cruise ship you can obtain a letter from the ship’s guest services department to certify that you have been in Bahamian waters for at least 24 hours).

Fee: $120

Documents: Photo ID, proof of residency (see above), parent permission if under 18, notarized statement that you are single/divorce decree/death certificate of former spouse if widowed.

(Appplication to obtain Bahamian Marriage License

Below is the link to the page as well.

http://greenlight-travel.com/wordpress/2019/07/05/getting-married-in-the-caribbean/

I got married in the Bahamas 21 years ago but we were staying there and not on a cruise.  What I do remember is that they really took their time checking over all the documentation to make sure everything was in order.  Please make sure you are totally prepared with all your docs and meet their requirements fully as it would be awful if there was a problem.

Congratulations!

4 hours ago, twangster said:

So what does that mean for people who were married on CocoCay?  Still the Bahamas yet can't meet the 24 hour rule.

If you go to Nassau first  and then coco cay you will be in the Bahamas for the 24 hour requirement.

20 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

When ever you get married you have to prove if you are married or divorced or a widow. They want to be sure you have the legal right to marry.

I understand that part. But proving that you have never been married or divorced or widowed is different. There is no routine paperwork that says "I am single". 

Edited by Coralc

1 minute ago, Coralc said:

I understand that part. But proving that you have never been married or divorced or widowed is different. There is no routine paperwork that says "I am single". 

This is normal for the Bahamas.  Our daughter had to do that when she was married at sea.  Because the ship's registry was Bahamas, they had to follow Bahamas rules.

I know on Disney Cruise Line the weddings that take place on the cruise or on their island in the Bahamas actually are performed while the ship is still docked in Florida.  A legal officiant comes on board and performs the wedding for just the bride and groom and witnesses.  The ceremony that takes place during the cruise is make believe.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

This is normal for the Bahamas.  Our daughter had to do that when she was married at sea.  Because the ship's registry was Bahamas, they had to follow Bahamas rules.

So what document did she submit to prove that she was single prior to the marriage?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Another_Critic said:

So what document did she submit to prove that she was single prior to the marriage?

It was just an affidavit wherein she said she was single.  There was no proof.

Thanks all my planner confirmed to get the letter from guest services although RC did follow up with me today and was able to find me the letter ahead of time. I didn’t want to wait until on ship to find out we missed doing something. This at least saved us time waiting in line on ship.

To answer I did not use RC’s wedding group, we are having a ceremony and cocktail hour reception on the island stop of Nassau and are hitting Coco Cay the day before so we will hit the mandated 24 hours. 

Thanks for the feedback and congrats we are getting excited getting into our countdown!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 12:12 PM, WeLuvVacation said:

Found this online under a search for "ship captain's letter for bahamas marriage."

Bahamas

Residency Requirement: At least 24 hours. (Use your passport stamp to prove when you arrived or if you arrive by cruise ship you can obtain a letter from the ship’s guest services department to certify that you have been in Bahamian waters for at least 24 hours).

Fee: $120

Documents: Photo ID, proof of residency (see above), parent permission if under 18, notarized statement that you are single/divorce decree/death certificate of former spouse if widowed.

(Appplication to obtain Bahamian Marriage License

Below is the link to the page as well.

http://greenlight-travel.com/wordpress/2019/07/05/getting-married-in-the-caribbean/

Thank you, this is very helpful. When I did a few different google searches I couldn’t find anything. 

17 minutes ago, sassy1ja said:

Thanks all my planner confirmed to get the letter from guest services although RC did follow up with me today and was able to find me the letter ahead of time. I didn’t want to wait until on ship to find out we missed doing something. This at least saved us time waiting in line on ship.

To answer I did not use RC’s wedding group, we are having a ceremony and cocktail hour reception on the island stop of Nassau and are hitting Coco Cay the day before so we will hit the mandated 24 hours. 

Thanks for the feedback and congrats we are getting excited getting into our countdown!

Congratulations! Enjoy.

11 hours ago, sassy1ja said:

I know how you feel!!  We are getting married at sea in April on Independence during the sea day after Cozumel.  The paperwork is crazy and need to be approved by the Bahamas government.

20 hours ago, Missus_Aitch said:

I know on Disney Cruise Line the weddings that take place on the cruise or on their island in the Bahamas actually are performed while the ship is still docked in Florida.  A legal officiant comes on board and performs the wedding for just the bride and groom and witnesses.  The ceremony that takes place during the cruise is make believe.

One of the reasons for that is, you could miss your port stop.  There have been people post on CC about missing the port they were supposed to get married in due to weather/change in itinerary.  It happens.  While it all sounds  so romantic, etc.  I think it's just overall easier to do the legal part in the US.

15 minutes ago, F27TW said:

This all sounds fishy ... why would an American need to get married in the Bahamas ??

When a ship is in international waters it is under the laws of the country of registry, which is the Bahamas for Royal.