Upgrade bid offer to Royal Suite on Mereviglia?

bzv143

I just received an upgrade offer to bid for a Royal Suite on our upcoming Mereviglia cruise--we are currently in a YC cabin and the bid starts at $1695 pp. Is this worth it? We are three in the YC cabin currently, so the extra space would be helpful...but... Advice?  Is the Royal Suite "all that and a bucket of bananas" 😉 ?    Thanx.

2 hours ago, bzv143 said:

I just received an upgrade offer to bid for a Royal Suite on our upcoming Mereviglia cruise--we are currently in a YC cabin and the bid starts at $1695 pp. Is this worth it? We are three in the YC cabin currently, so the extra space would be helpful...but... Advice?  Is the Royal Suite "all that and a bucket of bananas" 😉 ?    Thanx.

There were a few reports a few weeks back about bids for the RSs, think it was Seaside though.  The prices are about the same as what they mentioned.  The main differences, much bigger size, separate bedroom from living room, whirlpool on balcony, fancier bathroom, tons of storage.  Who is the third?  The living room bed will be much larger as well for them.

Are there any actually open on your sailing?  We are in one in March.

I have received this offer for  both Of our upcoming cruises. There is one RS available but I’m not willing to pay what they are asking for the upgrade.  If it’s something you’re really interested in doing, go for it. They also send them when one is not available in case someone canceled   

2 hours ago, bzv143 said:

We've gotten invitations to bid, and when I look online it is "booked".

Have wondered if it is their corp offices "fishing" for what people will pay 

IDK

Same as you $1699 or whatever over our YC room... 

Beyond the cabana ON the ship (not OC) and a bigger room/balcony.. we don't see the value. 

It doesn't include wifi or any upgrades beyond what we already have in YC.

Like you, we wonder what we are missing

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

We've gotten invitations to bid, and when I look online it is "booked".

Have wondered if it is their corp offices "fishing" for what people will pay 

IDK

Same as you $1699 or whatever over our YC room... 

Beyond the cabana ON the ship (not OC) and a bigger room/balcony.. we don't see the value. 

It doesn't include wifi or any upgrades beyond what we already have in YC.

Like you, we wonder what we are missing

A room type could be fully booked, but if one of them upgrades they could be left with an open room with little time to sell it. Or someone could cancel last minute. They're making sure they have people on the hook for any eventuality.

Worked out for us, we just upgraded into Yacht Club for Sunday's sailing. The Royal Suite's a bit rich for my blood, though!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, douglanglois said:

A room type could be fully booked, but if one of them upgrades they could be left with an open room with little time to sell it. Or someone could cancel last minute. They're making sure they have people on the hook for any eventuality.

Worked out for us, we just upgraded into Yacht Club for Sunday's sailing. The Royal Suite's a bit rich for my blood, though!

I guess my thought is.. we are already in YC... and the Royal suite is above that

Is there anything on the ship bigger/grander with ore perks that the RS in YC? So what does one "upgrade' to from RS in YC for a currently "booked" RS in YC to come open?

1 minute ago, Fogfog said:

I guess my thought is.. we are already in YC... and the Royal suite is above that

Is there anything on the ship bigger/grander with ore perks that the RS in YC? So what does one "upgrade' to from RS in YC for a currently "booked" RS in YC to come open?

No idea. In the case of RS, they are probably just hedging against cancellations.

6 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

The only thing that I can think of is the Owner's Suite on Seashore. The room is larger but the balcony is smaller. The forward view is probably nice but I'd prefer the Royal to the Owner's.....unless there are some extras added to the OS. 

• Like 1

Have had the RS on Seaside last year and booked again for later this year.

ONE REASON TO DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A CHANCE THIS YEAR IS......

THE PRICE DOUBLES IN 2021.

Not for the YC1 , just the Royal Suite.  YC3

They are constantly doing extras for you. On the Seaside, the balcony is unbelievably big. Even having your own hot tub and lounge chairs leaves room for extra chairs and a giant table.  Even though there were only 2 of us, the butler(s) insisted on a surprise breakfast one day and on another, a surprise dinner. We had never had a balcony meal before and was not sure how I would like it.

It was over the top. No matter what kind of food you like, it was provided without us asking. Of course fine linens and music was also provided.

I was not sure if we would use the cabana by the pool but it was great because it was so hot. Always a cooler in there with champagne and beer. Without our asking...the were always coming by with chocolate strawberry, ice cream etc.

I know it costs a lot for the RS but it is an incredible experience with to many little things to think of.

And you get FREE laundry !

10 hours ago, Shippy said:

Have had the RS on Seaside last year and booked again for later this year.

ONE REASON TO DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A CHANCE THIS YEAR IS......

THE PRICE DOUBLES IN 2021.

Not for the YC1 , just the Royal Suite.  YC3

They are constantly doing extras for you. On the Seaside, the balcony is unbelievably big. Even having your own hot tub and lounge chairs leaves room for extra chairs and a giant table.  Even though there were only 2 of us, the butler(s) insisted on a surprise breakfast one day and on another, a surprise dinner. We had never had a balcony meal before and was not sure how I would like it.

It was over the top. No matter what kind of food you like, it was provided without us asking. Of course fine linens and music was also provided.

I was not sure if we would use the cabana by the pool but it was great because it was so hot. Always a cooler in there with champagne and beer. Without our asking...the were always coming by with chocolate strawberry, ice cream etc.

I know it costs a lot for the RS but it is an incredible experience with to many little things to think of.

And you get FREE laundry !

And we had one in June and most of the service items missing. No offers for meals or drinks in room.  No special foods.

Cabana was nice but beer and waters. No snacks. It was Thursday before we had snacks brought to room that were going to cabana.  It was late afternoon and we had been in cabana the afternoon.

Free laundry?  Are you sure?  Never seen anyone mention that nor offered.

Right, prices are going high for RS.  In our case, a regular deluxe or yin would have had same service sans the cabana and larger room and separate bedroom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

And we had one in June and most of the service items missing. No offers for meals or drinks in room.  No special foods.

Cabana was nice but beer and waters. No snacks. It was Thursday before we had snacks brought to room that were going to cabana.  It was late afternoon and we had been in cabana the afternoon.

Free laundry?  Are you sure?  Never seen anyone mention that nor offered.

Right, prices are going high for RS.  In our case, a regular deluxe or yin would have had same service sans the cabana and larger room and separate bedroom.

On the Seaside ?    Bummer !

We were there in October. Maybe that is when they were starting to gear up for the BIG increase in price & making that YC3 over the top, even to compare to the Haven.

Our butler told us about the laundry. He said that it was not going to be advertised for awhile. It was UNLIMITED.

We sent just about everything we had out for cleaning to come home without having to worry about a lot of laundry to do.

I am so excited about our next trip this October. I know it will be our last in the Royal Suite because it would not matter what kind of discount we got.....those new prices are way out of our league !

My opinion - RS is just an extra room and the cabana.  No special service that isn’t available for the asking beyond that - except you do get the cabana “picnic” one day out of the trip.  The other days just stuff you can get yourself at the bar for free. 

we did it once, enjoyed it, but with only 2 traveling  would not do again. 

19 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

My opinion - RS is just an extra room and the cabana.  No special service that isn’t available for the asking beyond that - except you do get the cabana “picnic” one day out of the trip.  The other days just stuff you can get yourself at the bar for free. 

Do not understand what a ‘cabana picnic’ is.

We were treated with champagne and goodies everyday in the cabana.

57 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Never been in a RS but what you have written is broadly what I have always thought.....very little extra, at way too much additional cost! Thanks for confirming.

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

Do not understand what a ‘cabana picnic’ is.

We were treated with champagne and goodies everyday in the cabana.

We also received treats (that were not available at the poolside grill) everyday that we were in the cabana. We had 2 kids so it was gelato and other food items/treats. Our butler or another butler would let us know that he surprised us while we were in the pool. Everything would be there waiting for the 4 of us. 

At the time of my first Seaside booking, the Royal Suite was about 60% more than the Deluxe Suite when booking for 2 adults/2 kids. It was an easy choice so I took it. Now, the same RS is more than double the cost of the DS for our next Seaside sailing. Looking at Seashore, the Royal Suite is slightly more than double the Deluxe Suite and the Owner's Suite is more than triple the Deluxe Suite. I don't see the value when both the RS and OS are still 1 bedroom/1 bathroom. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only