St Petersburg privately tour

Pvbgirl

27 minutes ago, Pvbgirl said:

Let me try to type this correctly!  I am planning to book a one day private tour from the dock in StP.  Has anyone used Tours by Locals?  Other recommendations?

There are many excellent local tour companies in Saint Petersburg - some of which are frequently mentioned on these boards (Alla Tours, TJ Tours, SPB, Best Guides, - to name just a few of the ones most frequently mentioned). If you utilize Tours by Locals, make sure that your guide is licensed by the Russian Federation to provide visa free tours to cruise ship passengers (that is unless, of course, you have a Russian visa). We have used Alla Tours and her tours are excellent. Recommend that you contact several companies to find your best fit - IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of the top contenders.

Edited by dogs4fun

Whereas in other ports, Tours by Locals may be the best way to find a private guide, in St. Petersburg, you'll find many private guide options, including those from companies that are able to offer you visa-free tours.

You'll read lots of recommendations on here for companies that people have used. dogs4fun mentioned a few of the bigger names that also operate in other Baltic Ports, but there are many more that operate just in St. Petersburg (on our last visit, we set up a private tour with Red Sun Tours and really enjoyed it). 

If I were you, I'd read through some of the threads on here (including the "Master Thread" I set up after our last visit) and make note of a few company names, check out their webpages, and email a few companies to see which one is best able to meet your needs. All are very good, but you may find one that just "clicks" with you more than others do.

Hi, I agree with trosebery, There are many travel agents with whom you can book tours. For us we got in contact with Anastasia Travel and after our first conversation, I knew I had found the one for us. Easy communication, answers to all of my many questions and excellent suggestions. We end up customizing a 2-day tour which we truly enjoyed.
Make sure the visa situation is covered. Enjoy your time there!

Normally a good single tour guide working independently would be an excellent choice, but in St. Petersburg you probably want to choose a large, well established tour company if you are using a visa waiver.  If your individual tour guide gets sick or your car breaks down, you'd want a large corporation that can step up and fix these kinds of problems easily because otherwise you'd miss a once in a lifetime opportunity to see St. Petersburg.  (if you are traveling on a visa waiver, you aren't allowed to go off on your own if your tour guide gets sick or cancels).    Good luck.

Edited by kitkat343

8 hours ago, trosebery said:

If I were you, I'd read through some of the threads on here (including the "Master Thread" I set up after our last visit) and make note of a few company names, check out their webpages, and email a few companies to see which one is best able to meet your needs. All are very good, but you may find one that just "clicks" with you more than others do.

This would, IMHO, be your best plan - check trosebery's Master Thread and then contact several of the listed companies.  Most cruisers tout the tour company/companies with whom they have booked in the past (myself included) - this may have been the best choice for them but not necessarily the best choice for you. According to your budget you can join a group tour (most affordable option) or design a totally customized tour for just yourself (more expensive option). There are many choices.

Any of the listed companies will provide an excellent tour but one needs to find their best fit.

Edited by dogs4fun

18 hours ago, Pvbgirl said:

I miss planning to book a one day private tour for two from the port.  Had anyone used Tours by Locals?  Would appreciate any other recommendations.  

We have used Tours by Locals all around the world including our last 2 trips to Saint Petersburg .

• 1 month later...

We tend to use private tour guides more then booking the ship excursions, and I have to say I don't regret. Especially not getting on a bus full with passengers and then wait for each one of them to come back before we have to get going. For St.Petersburg we booked the 2full day excursion with Anastasia Travel for 8 of us. I am pretty sure you can book with them a private tour for 2.

Highly recommend this agency!

Private tours in Saint Petersburg are really nice. These guys will show you places you wont see with organized groups. Last time we visited I contacted such a guy via Instagram and we had a great time together. My wife enjoyed it a lot. We also visited a few cafes and pubs that you dont normally visit if you re a tourist

On 2/23/2020 at 6:12 AM, Roger88 said:

Private tours in Saint Petersburg are really nice. These guys will show you places you wont see with organized groups. Last time we visited I contacted such a guy via Instagram and we had a great time together. My wife enjoyed it a lot. We also visited a few cafes and pubs that you dont normally visit if you re a tourist

Was this person that you contacted via Instagram a guide licensed by the Russian Federation or did you have a Russian visa? In order to clear Russian immigration at the cruise terminal, you must have either a russian tourist visa OR your licensed guide must have submitted your passport data to immigration 72 hours before your arrival at port.

Edited by dogs4fun

19 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Was this person that you contacted via Instagram a guide licensed by the Russian Federation or did you have a Russian visa? In order to clear Russian immigration at the cruise terminal, you must have either a russian tourist visa OR your licensed guide must have submitted your passport data to immigration 72 hours before your arrival at port.

We had visas and we called 2Day tours to get more information on the city tours in advance. They arranged everything. We were in a group of like 7 people. Our guide was a nice lady who showed us around. Afterwards we asked if we could have a private tour with her and she also has arranged it. People in Russia are very easy going when it comes to business. She took us to the roofs of some buildings in the center, arranged a dinner in one of the coolest restaurants I ve ever been too. 

On 1/14/2020 at 4:07 PM, Pvbgirl said:

Let me try to type this correctly!  I am planning to book a one day private tour from the dock in StP.  Has anyone used Tours by Locals?  Other recommendations?

We have been to SPB 6 times 3 with a Visa and staying in apartments and 3 times on cruise the last one being in June . We have used TBL several times and really liked them . BTW we have used 5 or 6 other companies .

IMG_2504%202_zpsx70mkwmi.jpg

You can read about it and see lots of photos here beginning with post # 95 :