Post Miami hotel

Funbobby68

Hey all after our nov transatlantic, will be needing to stay one night in Miami, I have no point of reference on where to stay , would most like just want to walk around a bit do some last minute shopping  and have a dinner somewhere , flight leaves next day at 8:00 am , so won’t be late night 

I did do a search and was overwhelmed, by what district to stay , and distance from airport ect 

Noooooo! 😫  Do not stay near the airport if you want to walk to dining and shopping. 

Instead stay downtown, where you will be a 15-20+ minute ride from the airport.  Hampton Inn Mary Brickell is often suggested on this board -  with lots of local dining and shopping plus a god pool, breakfast, etc.  There are several other hotels in th eMary Brickell area.  Others ot consider include the Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, Doubletree and too Many Marriott options to count.

UberX from POM to downtown hotels will run about $10+ and another $15-18+ ride will get you to the MIA airport the next morning.

• Like 1

For an 8:00 flight OP needs to be at MIA by about 6:30 - which means in a taxi or Uber about 6:00 to 6:15 -- not sure a shuttle from an airport location will be that much quicker.  OP also wants to "walk around a bit do some last minute shopping  and have a dinner somewhere"" which would be:

• difficult at many airport area hotels
  • much more enjoyable/interesting at a downtown hotel

OP - it's your call!

Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon  has a shopping plaza across the street.  Nothing fancy, but there is a good Publix grocery store and a Burlington Outlet.  If you just want to walk around a little and don't need to do touristy things, it's a very safe area.  We use it for the night before our cruise to pick up last minute items and get some Cuban food at the restaurant in that shopping plaza.  

When we are staying for 3 days after a cruise, we always choose South Beach.  Great beach and some really good little places to eat reasonably when you go a block or two off Ocean Drive.  Also love to walk to Lincoln street mall area for some shopping there.

No way I'm staying out at the airport if I want to dine and shop and walk around.

Either downtown or Coral Gables.   Both are fairly close to the airport.  You aren't getting up that much earlier staying there than you are staying at an airport hotel and both are MUCH better, more pleasant locations.

23 minutes ago, Funbobby68 said:

Ok so now I’m focused on Cuba food for dinner , so now I need a hotel with good eats near by 

Looking for good Cuban food in Miami is like looking for Italian food in Italy.

It is literally everywhere.

Again, look at Coral Gables.  Stunning Cuban community.  Ignore anyone who suggests you stay in Little Havana.  Although the Cuban restaurants there are extraordinary.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:15 PM, Funbobby68 said:

Ok so settled for a hotel by the airport due to early departure, so will just take a cab to somewhere for the day to enjoy shopping and eating ect ..... so what’s the best district to visit to walk and shop 

That depends on whether you are staying south of the airport in the Blue Lagoon area or north of the airport in the Doral area.

I personally avoid taxis in Miami.  Horrible.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:15 PM, Funbobby68 said:

Ok so settled for a hotel by the airport due to early departure, so will just take a cab to somewhere for the day to enjoy shopping and eating ect ..... so what’s the best district to visit to walk and shop 

If shopping is a high priority you can have a look at the courtyard Marriott at Dolphin Mall.

Huge mall with many eating options. The hotel is located in a corner of the car park so short

walk across the car park to the hotel.

Its about 15 minutes away from the airport.

There is no need to stay by the airport with a 8:00 a.m. flight. MIA is 8-miles from city center. 8 a.m. flight means you'll be on the road at 6am or so. From Downtown Miami/Brickell that is a 15-20-min drive at 6am max. 

South Beach is a good location to be able to walk around all day. 

Other location would be Brickell with an Uber to Little Havana for Cuban food.