Sailing with non-enhanced driver's license?

Qchell

19 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Because the federal government is strengthening its assertion of control over the states with the new ID criteria. Slippery slope stuff. We as citizens could one day be required to show our papers just walking through town.

All in the name of 'security', don't you know. This sounds very similar to citizens' requirements, back in 1930's nazi Germany.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

An EDL is ReadID compliant so either an EDL or RealID ID card is sufficient for all domestic air travel. EDL is currently only offered in 5 states but RealID will be offered in the remaining states by Oct. 1, 2020. Either ID will meet federal requirements for air travel.

Got it

On 1/31/2020 at 7:34 PM, 2wheelin said:

Exactly my point. OR PASSPORT which was not mentioned in their first post (nor did the statement mention flying). Quote: ALL US citizens are required to have the Real ID driver's license by October 1, 2020. 

Most of us who read the news know the passport alternative, but not everyone even knows there are changes coming for travelers.

This is incorrect.  US citizens are not required to have the Real ID by 10/1/20.  It is required only for domestic air travel.  When i renewed my license, I was given the option to go with standard DL or the Real ID.  I opted for standard.  It expires way after 10/1/2020.  Either way I personally think it's ridiculous to require (basically) a passport for a domestic flight.

15 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

This is incorrect.  US citizens are not required to have the Real ID by 10/1/20.  It is required only for domestic air travel.  When i renewed my license, I was given the option to go with standard DL or the Real ID.  I opted for standard.  It expires way after 10/1/2020.  Either way I personally think it's ridiculous to require (basically) a passport for a domestic flight.

You need to follow along. Not just pick and choose posts to read and comment. I said “quote” which means the underlined statement which followed was the erroneous quote I was correcting. It was a blanket statement with no qualifying information which would have included “to fly domestically, unless you have a passport or other accepted ID”.

The correct details have been stated in this thread probably at least ten times and yet people are posting incomplete—read incorrect—information.

People are not required to have a drivers license either—-unless they drive.

2 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

This is truth. However it makes me a little uneasy that the country I grew up in is requiring "enhanced" documentation or "papers" in order to travel freely whether it's by air or not. I understand that we already had to have ID to travel, and that different states had different policies on the execution of ID documents, and that this is just standardizing the policies of verifiable ID. But this feels different. This is, in my opinion, federal overreach that basically tells the sovereign states how to do it. I mean after all it IS for our security right??? 🤨

Regardless of where you grew up, enhanced id verification should make you feel better not worse.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

You need to follow along. Not just pick and choose posts to read and comment. I said “quote” which means the underlined statement which followed was the erroneous quote I was correcting. It was a blanket statement with no qualifying information which would have included “to fly domestically, unless you have a passport or other accepted ID”.

The correct details have been stated in this thread probably at least ten times and yet people are posting incomplete—read incorrect—information.

Sorry, I know you are trying to keep everyone on track, and doing a good job, but I cant resist, don’t people need a license to drive also?😉

Edited by jimbo5544

24 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Sorry, I know you are trying to keep everyone on track, and doing a good job, but I cant resist, don’t people need a license to drive also?😉

What am I missing?  2wheelin stated DL required to drive.

I see absolutely no way this can be twisted into some 'liberty' argument.

We the citizens empower the government to issue ID's that are used in all sorts of aspects of our society, they are the standard one uses to identify ones self.  It should be expected that those official ID's be based on factual information which is what the Real ID standard is dictating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I see absolutely no way this can be twisted into some 'liberty' argument.

We the citizens empower the government to issue ID's that are used in all sorts of aspects of our society, they are the standard one uses to identify ones self.  It should be expected that those official ID's be based on factual information which is what the Real ID standard is dictating.

The Liberty angle was a rabbit hole.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Technically, I live in a state where there are horse and buggy drivers. 😂

3 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

What am I missing?  2wheelin stated DL required to drive.

You need to learn to read emojis. 

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Regardless of where you grew up, enhanced id verification should make you feel better not worse.   

Just having discussion... "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

1 hour ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Just having discussion... "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

From a Benjamin Franklin quote. Well done! 👍🍻

3 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

As a united states we could travel to and fro. You are not required to show documents to drive across a state border.

But you've always been required to show "documents" to fly... So whats the difference now? 

Sorry, I don't buy any part of your argument. If the federal government wants a slightly higher standard of identification shown when traveling in federal facilities or on domestic air travel (which is federally controlled); they have the right to. You can get a non-complaint license (I know Ohio still offers them too) and drive within and between states with no issues. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

But you've always been required to show "documents" to fly... So whats the difference now? 

Sorry, I don't buy any part of your argument. If the federal government wants a slightly higher standard of identification shown when traveling in federal facilities or on domestic air travel (which is federally controlled); they have the right to. You can get a non-complaint license (I know Ohio still offers them too) and drive within and between states with no issues. 

https://viewfromthewing.com/42388/

7 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I guess you point is once upon a time you didn't have to show ID's to fly. Once upon a time 9/11 hadn't happened either... so once upon a time doesn't exist anymore and isn't coming back.

I'm just making the point that it hasn't always been this way. We are slowly, and more rapidly lately, changing from the country we were born in. 

34 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I'm just making the point that it hasn't always been this way. We are slowly, and more rapidly lately, changing from the country we were born in. 

The world changes over time. My grandparents were born in a world without televisions and I was born in a world without cell phones... Everything changes as technology and world issues change. When you born you could probably walk onto a plane with minimal security and walk right up to the cockpit if you wanted. I think we can all agree that that isn't a safe way for airlines to conduct business anymore. Just like allowing you through security without ID isn't safe.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

The world changes over time. My grandparents were born in a world without televisions and I was born in a world without cell phones... Everything changes as technology and world issues change. When you born you could probably walk onto a plane with minimal security and walk right up to the cockpit if you wanted. I think we can all agree that that isn't a safe way for airlines to conduct business anymore. Just like allowing you through security without ID isn't safe.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But I prefer to limit federal government. I'm not advocating anarchy but common sense does dictate that we learn from our failures. I just try to keep my eyes on truth and not get lost in "that's just the way it is". I think we can do a better job of being accountable with our constitution.

3 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Of course that quote doesn't mean what most people think it means https://www.npr.org/2015/03/02/390245038/ben-franklins-famous-liberty-safety-quote-lost-its-context-in-21st-century.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. But I prefer to limit federal government. I'm not advocating anarchy but common sense does dictate that we learn from our failures. I just try to keep my eyes on truth and not get lost in "that's just the way it is". I think we can do a better job of being accountable with our constitution.

I remember that in the 70's it seemed like every week some nut was hijacking a plane to take them somewhere. I also remember when I started flying back then that walking through an airport would subject you to being accosted by all sorts of pan handlers and Hare Krishnas. One of the biggest mysteries from those days is "who was D.B. Cooper", because he used a fake ID. Yes, things have changed but I'd say that overall they've changed for the better.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

You do know that NPR is owned by government entities right? 🙂 Using the government to fact check itself lol sorta like using Snopes to fact check something anti-democrat. 😂

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I remember that in the 70's it seemed like every week some nut was hijacking a plane to take them somewhere. I also remember when I started flying back then that walking through an airport would subject you to being accosted by all sorts of pan handlers and Hare Krishnas. One of the biggest mysteries from those days is "who was D.B. Cooper", because he used a fake ID. Yes, things have changed but I'd say that overall they've changed for the better.  

There are a lot of positives that have happened that's for sure. I definitely remember watching the live coverage of hostage situations.

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

De plane de plane, where is my tattoo emoji when I need it.