Beer Packages Getting Smaller But Less Expensive

Tom O.

I was just browsing through the stateroom beverage packages available for my next cruise, and I happened to notice that all of the beer packages were now "5 Packs."

They used to be all 6 packs. But then I noticed that the prices have been lowered. Using Roger Jett's list from last July, a 6 pack of Heineken cost $40 - that works out to be $6.67 per beer. The new 5 pack of Heineken is $32.20, that is $6.44 per beer. The other brands a similarly priced.

So while, most other alcoholic drinks delivered to your stateroom have seen significant price increases, beer has gone down. I would recommend to anybody who likes beer to take advantage of this situation before HAL realizes their error.

Edited by Tom O.

6 minutes ago, llbz327 said:

would it not be better to buy beer during happy hour? first beer full price and the next $2.00. you can buy as many as you like

That would be a better price, it is just not as convenient as having the beer waiting for you in your room.

I have never bought beer at the happy hour, will they give them to you unopened? And is it OK to bring them to your room?

I took advantage of a happy hour type special during the on deck celebration when our ship was transiting the Panama Canal locks. Both bottles were unopened and since it was too early to start drinking I stashed them in our stateroom fridge. Trouble is, when cocktail hour rolled around I mistakenly opened the wrong bottle (different brand). It was no biggie, since we had a few more days to consume the other two...

1 hour ago, Tom O. said:

That would be a better price, it is just not as convenient as having the beer waiting for you in your room.

I have never bought beer at the happy hour, will they give them to you unopened? And is it OK to bring them to your room?

Yes and Yes...as many as you want.

55 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

Absolutely to both questions.  First one is full price/second one is $2.  We have done it frequently; usually we'll buy six at a time to last DM a few days.  If she needs more, we hit up another happy hour.   And, if you have a warmish one (cause not all rooms have fridges) just take it to a bar and exchange it for a cold one!  We've even brought a bottle/can (purchased onboard, of course) from our room to the Lido/dining room so that DM could have her HH beer with lunch/dinner.  

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 12:33 PM, Tom O. said:

We would purchase a bucket of five beers during happy hour and then the second bucket was $10 (plus tip). They would ask us how many caps we wanted taken off and the rest we put in our cabin to enjoy on our veranda. Worked out well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, jtdlmc said:

Tell me more about happy hour.  Is it at a certain time each day?  Certain bar?  Is it listed in the daily activity guide.  Thanks 😊 

Happy hour is a set time of day.  It can vary by ship.  We’ve seen it at 4 pm and 10 pm mostly.

It’s normally in a couple of bars in our experience but there have been reports of it being ship wide on some cruises.

It’s always posted in the When and Where (the daily activity guide).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 5:51 PM, newtocruiseinblue said:

We would purchase a bucket of five beers during happy hour and then the second bucket was $10 (plus tip). They would ask us how many caps we wanted taken off and the rest we put in our cabin to enjoy on our veranda. Worked out well. 

That's a good idea.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:30 AM, jtdlmc said:

Tell me more about happy hour.  Is it at a certain time each day?  Certain bar?  Is it listed in the daily activity guide.  Thanks 😊 

On our recent 14 day Caribbean cruise on N/A, during the first week, there was no bar service at all during the daily trivia that was held in the Billboard Onboard area. During the second week, we had Happy Hour every day during Trivia in the same area. I'm not sure why we had it one week and not the other.

• Like 1