Britain's biggest cruise operator is becoming 'Butlins on Sea', Which? survey finds (today's Telegraph)

Harry Peterson

27 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I was last on Cunard (QE, round-Britain) a bit over three years ago and in my opinion the food was much better than recent P&O cruises at that time.

The 'Class' issue is not just with Cunard these days.  Celebrity, NCL and MSC all have similar set-ups with certain restaurants and/or lounges and/or deck areas only available to pax in certain high-grade cabins, so it is not fair to hold that up purely against Cunard any more.

Again, personally, if P&O standards decline to a level I am unhappy with, I will jump ship to Fred Olsen or CMV in the main - although would be happy to sail Cunard as long as I was not going solo (from expense point of view). 

I agree that the class issue is certainly not just Cunard. Celebrity have Blu and Lumie, NCL the Haven etc, they all have their version of it. 

The food on Cunard is better imo opinion. The grills food significantly better (though not as good as it was a few years ago either). 

We have never been loyal to just one cruise line (for which I am thankful as we don’t have all our perks in just one basket) and having tried many different ones can compare and contrast. Most of them have cut bits and pieces here and there but then added in the “class segregation”  which then lifts the product back up with food and wine service at least. For some reason P&O have never gone down this route.

P&O is fine for an odd extra holiday at a good price but it is no longer a special one,  that is just in my opinion, while it is still on the right side of being enjoyable I will keep booking.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Here's the guy who calls the shots with P&O these days:

Paul Ludlow, president of P&O Cruises

Paul Ludlow, president of P&O Cruises

The TTG article helpfully linked to above by Selbourne (https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/pos-paul-ludlow-on-iona-cruises-growth-and-gary-barlow-21022) says it all, and it's worth a read.

“Our heartland audience is ITV Saturday night. Gary [Barlow] was top of the list for us – everyone loves him, from nine-year-olds to grandmas. Working with Gary helps us to reach new audiences”.

Those new audiences are needed to fill the ships, and if you like ITV on Saturday nights you'll presumably find plenty of like-minded people to discuss game shows and other ITV pap with!

If the number of cruise adverts in the Mail are an indicator, then there will be lots of Mail readers as well.  

Yet another reason for you to jump ship Harry.😁

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If the number of cruise adverts in the Mail are an indicator, then there will be lots of Mail readers as well.  

Yet another reason for you to jump ship Harry.😁

I had a look at a YouGov poll on media.  The ITV sport website is apparently the second most popular media choice so perhaps aiming at a market of ITV lovers makes commercial sense.  Interestingly, more Millennials gave a positive opinion of the daily mail than generation X members so it clearly has a wide and ongoing appeal.

Whichever way you look at it a third of the population seems to like the Daily Mail.  You won't escape them! 

I have to say that we found a recent holiday on Cunard (QV) much more relaxing than on the Britannia. So much more space inside and on deck for pax to relax in. But we were sailing slightly out of season, got very lucky with the weather and got an amazing deal through our TA.

We have booked another P&O cruise to the baltic primarily due to a combination of a very decent cabin we have been in before at a reasonable cost. Princess wanted £800 more pp for a similar cabin, which we can put towards another cruise.

I would like to cruise on Arcadia but at present, P&O seem to be charging a bit of an upsell on this compared with the larger ships.

The prices on Iona look tempting, but I  think it looks like too many cabins and not enough space inside. Looking forward to the reviews to see if I'm wrong?

• Like 1

So the bottom line after reading some of the posts on here is that P&O is Butlins at sea,as I have never been to Butlins that’s one off my bucket list so on our next cruises with P&O we can sit back with a drink and regret all the things we have missed out on.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

So the bottom line after reading some of the posts on here is that P&O is Butlins at sea,as I have never been to Butlins that’s one off my bucket list so on our next cruises with P&O we can sit back with a drink and regret all the things we have missed out on.

You won't be able to put a flannel on your head though😁

2 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

You won't be able to put a flannel on your head though😁

What’s a flannel I am a working class bloke who drinks beer and watch Sky plus a season ticket holder at the greatest club in the world Wolves.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

What’s a flannel I am a working class bloke who drinks beer and watch Sky plus a season ticket holder at the greatest club in the world Wolves.

I understand it to be a new fangled piece of equipment designed to allow people to spread yesterdays removed dirt back on to their face.

2 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

I understand it to be a new fangled piece of equipment designed to allow people to spread yesterdays removed dirt back on to their face.

Thanks for the explanation my wife just asked why have I turned green and gone off my dinner

Edited by Bazrat

Just now, Bazrat said:

Thanks for the explanation my wife just asked why have I turned green and gone of my dinner

That will be because you have read too many of the posts on here and imagined bumping in to some of the posters whilst trying to relax on holiday......

24 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

That will be because you have read too many of the posts on here and imagined bumping in to some of the posters whilst trying to relax on holiday......

Terrible thought what goes through your mind

Edited by Bazrat

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Yep, just like Weatherspoons back home

37 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Weatherspoons that’s fine dining for me fish and chip Thursday with a pint yow cor beat it.

It is what it is.  Question is, is it worth paying £000s for that when you can walk down to your local and get the same thing?   It's about value for money.

Edited by KnowTheScore

18 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

It is what it is.  Question is, is it worth paying £000s for that when you can walk down to your local and get the same thing?   It's about value for money.

Haha my local is now a coop funeral parlour the other one is a pizza shop and the last one is housing.

the original question is P&O like Butlins on YouTube a regular reviewer said the entire thing was rubbish,they have not compared like for like and would young families take young children on the winners cruises,I know some posters would say yes but in reality they aim for different markets.

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I still feel the ships are diverse enough to look after all of us. 

I have never entered a bed making competition, or even seen one, rarely visit the pub on board as usually too noisy for me so not played bingo, entered quizzes or sang on the karaoke. 

We also haven't been to dance lessons, cookery clubs, spa days or talks about my posture/wrinkles/feet/digestion... 

Yet, despite all this choice, we still manage to have fantastic, relaxing, interesting holidays... 

Andy 

I’ve only ever seen a bed making competition once onboard and it was part of a charity fund raising country fair type event onboard. As a one of event it was actually fun to watch and along with the splat the rat, guess the cake weight, fish for a duck, guess the spices etc etc it made for fun fundraiser.

A nurse beat the cabin staff!

There is nothing wrong with these type of events as long as they don’t completely replace the other styles of entertainment and provide something for all tastes over the cruise.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I have been to Butlins. We took our children for a few years in the late 1960's and I can definitely say that  P&O's smaller ships  (and we've been on all 5) are absolutely nothing like it all. Now RCI, definitely. 

Now I have to disagree with your comment regarding RCI. Having sailed RCI on 21 cruises my view is that this cruise line is nothing like Butlins, very family orientated yes, but if you're comparing their ships to Butlins in the 60's (when I was also visiting the camps of Skegness, Filey, Bognor Regis, Barry Island, Minehead, and Pwllheli) then things have moved on greatly. RCI is a line full of innovations, always pushing the boundaries of how to entertain their guests.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’ve only ever seen a bed making competition once onboard and it was part of a charity fund raising country fair type event onboard. As a one of event it was actually fun to watch and along with the splat the rat, guess the cake weight, fish for a duck, guess the spices etc etc it made for fun fundraiser.

A nurse beat the cabin staff!

There is nothing wrong with these type of events as long as they don’t completely replace the other styles of entertainment and provide something for all tastes over the cruise.

That's my point, you can fill the ship with a hundred different forms of entertainment, I will still find a comfortable place to enjoy a cocktail and watch the sunset. 

On another day, I might just join in, at least I have the choice. 

Andy 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’ve only ever seen a bed making competition once onboard and it was part of a charity fund raising country fair type event onboard.

Happened on Ventura on this Christmas.  Bed making in the atrium.  Christmas entertainment indeed !

I am on Arcadia world cruise and am thoroughly enjoying it. The food and service are both excellent. Have booked for next year. It is the happiest ship I have sailed on. Only line I would not sail again is   Cunard. Felt like Britannia level passengers were not wanted there it was beneath the crew to have to deal with them. Ship rusty outside and deck 6 corridors were filthy. Food below MDR on Arcadia. If P&O is not your fit try Marella’s newer ships or Celebrity. I like both just Arcadia is my favourite ship 

• Like 2

Strangely I never thought that it was obligatory to actually watch the bed making event,we have the ability to walk on by have a laugh and find something to occupy us.

the problem is you cannot please everyone no mater how hard they try.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Clipper Chick said:

I am on Arcadia world cruise and am thoroughly enjoying it. The food and service are both excellent. Have booked for next year. It is the happiest ship I have sailed on. Only line I would not sail again is   Cunard. Felt like Britannia level passengers were not wanted there it was beneath the crew to have to deal with them. Ship rusty outside and deck 6 corridors were filthy. Food below MDR on Arcadia. If P&O is not your fit try Marella’s newer ships or Celebrity. I like both just Arcadia is my favourite ship 

Arcadia we fell in love with that ship loved the food the entertainment and the crew we’re extremely helpful only downside we had to leave at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1