British Ports Question

MSPCUBS

I will be on the Regal Princess on September 13.  Can anyone tell me which ports are tender ports?

I know Guernsey is, but I am not sure about:  Edinburgh (south Queensferry) and Le Harve.

My itinerary says that South Queensferry is a tender and Le Harve isn't.  BUT, I have also heard that sometimes ships have to cancel Le Harve.  

In checking the website that lists all ports and the ships that will be docking, it lists the Regal as docking in Leith (?)

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, MSPCUBS said:

I will be on the Regal Princess on September 13.  Can anyone tell me which ports are tender ports?

I know Guernsey is, but I am not sure about:  Edinburgh (south Queensferry) and Le Harve.

My itinerary says that South Queensferry is a tender and Le Harve isn't.  BUT, I have also heard that sometimes ships have to cancel Le Harve.  

In checking the website that lists all ports and the ships that will be docking, it lists the Regal as docking in Leith (?)

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

If you look in your travel summary/itinerary it should list which ones are water shuttle ports.

dog,

How much notice were you given for the cancellation of Le Harve?  I have already booked (and paid for) my private tour.  The company is saying that if the ship isn't going to dock, I need to let them know by 6 pm the night before.  Not sure how you can predict weather that far in advance, especially the wind.

We just did the British Isles cruise this past summer. Yes both Guernsey and Edinburgh were tender ports. Le Havre was an industrial port and is two hours from Paris. They can miss that port due to winds as mentioned but also due to French labor strikes at the port. I would book shore excursions through Princess because if there are any issues they just refund you. Or else I would check the cancellation policies with any private tour companies carefully. 

20 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

We just did the British Isles cruise this past summer. Yes both Guernsey and Edinburgh were tender ports. Le Havre was an industrial port and is two hours from Paris. They can miss that port due to winds as mentioned but also due to French labor strikes at the port. I would book shore excursions through Princess because if there are any issues they just refund you. Or else I would check the cancellation policies with any private tour companies carefully. 

Edinburgh (South Queensferry) is a tender port, however Edinburgh (Rosyth) is not.  Only smaller vessels such as Pacific Princess are able to get under the Forth Bridge.  Often Edinburgh is an overnight due to Edinburgh Military Tattoo.  The Edinburgh Military Tattoo is sometimes accessed when the ship docks at Glasgow (Greenock)  berthed alongside, but again typically an overnight port call when the tattoo is on as this event goes on until very late in the evening. Edinburgh and Glasgow are about an hour apart by trainwith approximately an hourly service. "Overnight" is a clue to the Edinburgh Festival being in operation and last time I was there one cruisers booked an overnight budget hotel to maximise their late night stay in the city.

Guernsey is a tender port and in my experience the ship can anchor and run tenders on 50% of occasions.  In the past when Princess failed to stop at Guernsey we diverted to Le Havre and  on another occasion we called at Brest instead.  Booking excursions needs careful consideration as rocklinmom has indicated.

Regards John

18 hours ago, MSPCUBS said:

dog,

How much notice were you given for the cancellation of Le Harve?  I have already booked (and paid for) my private tour.  The company is saying that if the ship isn't going to dock, I need to let them know by 6 pm the night before.  Not sure how you can predict weather that far in advance, especially the wind.

No notice for st Peters port. They tried but could not let us tender. Winds. Got there 2 other cruises. Re. Le Havre. Got in once just fine in May. In August we were in S Queensferry when we were told we were turning around and going back the way we came due to hurricane winds so not possible to continue in English Channel. Re: excursion in Le Havre. Several people were planning on DIY there and some early disembarking to go to Paris. Out of money and out of luck. We rented car in Le Havre drive to Rouen and Honfleur. 

I feel for those people, but totally understand you can't help the weather.  I missed a port in Greenland once because of icebergs!

Sure hope I make both Guernsey and Le Harve as they were the reason for taking the cruise.  All the other ports I have been to when I've traveled to Great Britain and Ireland and rented a car.

Thank you for your info.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to St. Peter Port because I discovered that Victor Hugo

was exiled there for 15 years and that is where he wrote Les Mis. And YES; I actually

read the whole thing in high school (all 1200 pages) and was tickled that we could see his home there.