This makes me happy, no more plastic bottles on NCL

RobInMtl

how did the water taste?  I usually order a case really just for the convenience of having bottles to take ashore.  i hate the tast of aquafina and did not order it back when that was their water of choice.  the NCL brand was good tho.  curious on taste with the papery bottles.

4 minutes ago, NickCanadian said:

Yeah for no plastic bottles.... while burning 65,000 gallons of bunker fuel per day LOL

So, they can eliminate one source of pollution and wasted energy for no increase in cost to you, or they can go to a more environmentally friendly fuel (though bunker fuel is 100% legal to use, and the usage by cruise lines amounts to less than 15% of the bunker fuel burned daily to get your consumer goods shipped) and raise cruise prices by about 15-20%.  Your choice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, BostonGal35 said:

how did the water taste?  I usually order a case really just for the convenience of having bottles to take ashore.  i hate the tast of aquafina and did not order it back when that was their water of choice.  the NCL brand was good tho.  curious on taste with the papery bottles.

We’re just off the Gem. The Just Water tasted fine, as did the cabin water with which we refilled those new bottles. 

12 minutes ago, NickCanadian said:

Oh, I dont really care.. I was being phascious (sp?). As a Shareholder, use whatever is cheapest, but I find it funny that they are promoting paper drink containers as if this is some major milestone...

Quite frankly, after seeing how much plastic waste the ship generates, and not knowing whether or not the land contractor is actually recycling the plastic or not, this is a fairly large milestone in terms of sustainability, given today's technology.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NickCanadian said:

Oh, I dont really care.. I was being phascious (sp?). As a Shareholder, use whatever is cheapest, but I find it funny that they are promoting paper drink containers as if this is some major milestone...

Really?  Sounds like a bone to pick with people trying to clean up the Earth?  Why not get behind it instead of pointing and laughing at what still isn't done?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Plastic bottles were light weight and quite convenient ....  

Yes.  "Convenient" if you're the only person on the planet and nothing you do to the environment matters.

Unfortunately, it's not just you going through life, poking around, combing the beaches for whatever makes you happy.

You have to live on this planet with the rest of us.  And eventually we tend to socialize people when they don't get with the program.

5 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Yes.  "Convenient" if you're the only person on the planet and nothing you do to the environment matters.

Unfortunately, it's not just you going through life, poking around, combing the beaches for whatever makes you happy.

You have to live on this planet with the rest of us.  And eventually we tend to socialize people when they don't get with the program.

If you are a cruiser, you literally have ZERO credibility on any environmental issues. I am sorry, but its true.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Really?  Sounds like a bone to pick with people trying to clean up the Earth?  Why not get behind it instead of pointing and laughing at what still isn't done?

No, not at all, but I cant stand virtue signalling stunts like this, and virtue signalling people like you who love cruising (Escape burns 113 gallons of bunker fuel per passenger per week), yet feel you can bash people who like water from plastic bottles!

• Like 2

Hey Nick, but if you are not a cruiser, why are you on this forum?

An issue these days is that if a person is not 100% committed to being environmentally conscious  that person is bad or a  looser..

Not everyone or every company can become 100% environmentally conscious at the drop of a dime. It takes time and a routine is needed. Over the last few years I have tried to be as environmentally conscious as possible, I recycle about 80% of my garbage at home, but that says nothing as most recyclable items in Canada do not get recycled anyways, they get thrown into a land fill. Its pretty much false advertising... I drive a pickup truck, but I do not drive it that much and take public transit to work, even though its very inefficient also. I do not even recycle at my chalet as it cost too much money outside a large town, so rather than throw it out,  i burn it at a high temperature, which is far better than letting it sit in a land fill leaching into my great grandson's water table. 

My point is any older generation person or older corporation needs time to adjust, yes some don't care at all, but i think most do now as it now affects a corporation's bottom line, makes them look bad if they don't thus less revenue.

• Like 1

Not doing a smaller, easier thing to help because there's this bigger, harder thing to stop that people keep doing just boggles my mind. Among other things, they seem to ignore that enough people rarely get behind huge sweeping changes. A lot of the time the little things add, though granted not always, but even if they don't it's still better than doing nothing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NickCanadian said:

virtue signalling 

This is one of the weirdest projections from the Internet Troll crowd. The idea that someone only supports an initiative on account of the fact that it makes them look good is a laugh, considering the types that perpetuate it.

6 minutes ago, jencendiary said:

This is one of the weirdest projections from the Internet Troll crowd. The idea that someone only supports an initiative on account of the fact that it makes them look good is a laugh, considering the types that perpetuate it.

Virtue signalling eh. I don’t really care, but again, your worried about plastic yet an average cruise ship pollutes the air as much as 7 million cars in one week...but let’s focus on plastic bottles and straws so it makes us all feel better.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, julig22 said:

Put in refill stations like they have at the airports if NCL wants to reduce waste.  Make their money by selling souvenir refillable bottles for anyone who forgets to bring one onboard.

I suppose you don’t understand how filthy, germ ridden those airport dispensers are. Most people take a final swig from their bottle and jam it right up on the dispenser leaving their saliva on the dispenser. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I suppose you don’t understand how filthy, germ ridden those airport dispensers are. Most people take a final swig from their bottle and jam it right up on the dispenser leaving their saliva on the dispenser. 

We must go to different airports.  The bottle tops don't come near the dispenser on the ones I'm talking about 

• Like 2

With the amount of pollution a single cruise ship puts out in 1 week alone, this paper versus plastic argument is laughable.  Nearly 100% of plastic bottles on cruise ships are recycled so there really is no need for NCL to make the switch.  NCL did not do this for the environment, they did it to save some nickels and dimes.  To deny that is to deny reality.

• Like 2