Cheers and Alchemy Bar

49 minutes ago, naxer said:

The Alchemy Bar is, really, the primary reason I get Cheers.

I was so disappointed with the bartenders on the Liberty at Alchemy. Just total offputting attitude... we were originally going to see if they could make us a custom drink to possibly use for our wedding, but after going there the first day and having the bartenders seem to be irritated that we *gasp* ordered drinks, we never went back. 

12 minutes ago, xostacylee said:

I was so disappointed with the bartenders on the Liberty at Alchemy. Just total offputting attitude... we were originally going to see if they could make us a custom drink to possibly use for our wedding, but after going there the first day and having the bartenders seem to be irritated that we *gasp* ordered drinks, we never went back. 

I was on the Liberty last May, and that crew was actually one of the best I've had.

I'm no big proponent of Cheers. However, if you have it, Alchemy is the best part of it.

45 minutes ago, xostacylee said:

Sorry you had a bad experience with Alchemy.  I can tell you that has not been our experience for past 3 cruises with Alchemy.  In fact, the service got a better each cruise on same ship.  They were very willing to experiment and come up with alternate tasting cocktails besides what's on the menu.  Hope you have a much better experience on next cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 7:29 PM, xostacylee said:

You aren't alone.  We had poor attitude from the server on Pride a few years ago, but really enjoyed the service on our Sunrise cruise last year.  Unfortunately sometimes it is poor luck of the draw with who you get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

You aren't alone.  We had poor attitude from the server on Pride a few years ago, but really enjoyed the service on our Sunrise cruise last year.  Unfortunately sometimes it is poor luck of the draw with who you get.

That's the thing I always question whether people realize when complaining about bad service by one person. If the entire crew has a bad attitude and acts like they don't want to be there, that may be a management or training problem; but when it is just a single person or bartender with an attitude, that's not necessarily reflective of a line as a whole.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

That's the thing I always question whether people realize when complaining about bad service by one person. If the entire crew has a bad attitude and acts like they don't want to be there, that may be a management or training problem; but when it is just a single person or bartender with an attitude, that's not necessarily reflective of a line as a whole.  

Well said and let me add, we have never received bad service however we have experienced what I call indifferent service. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:29 PM, xostacylee said:

The Alchemy bartenders on the Breeze in December were puss faces too. Two very grumpy men. We’d just get a drink and go into Red Frog to enjoy it. I couldn’t be around their bad attitudes too long. 

We have never had a drink we enjoyed at Alchemy, but maybe just our experience. The few we tried were not worthy of trying again. Never met an Alchemy bartender that was close to personable. After trying Alchemy several times, we avoid it and go to RFP instead. YMMV. 

3 minutes ago, PGRoyal said:

Shucks,we were so eager to hit the Alchemy bar before dinners ..I hope Statler and Waldorf aren't working the Alchemy bar

Don't let the negative comments on here turn you off of the Alchemy bar. Are the Bartenders rude not really they are just better trained and don't make all the other fufu crap that you get at the other bars. They don't use the common mixes and if you go and ask for a Jack and Coke they do kinda turn their noses up at you. Just tell them what flavors you like and enjoy the show and a strong drink. Well worth it!!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PGRoyal said:

Shucks,we were so eager to hit the Alchemy bar before dinners ..I hope Statler and Waldorf aren't working the Alchemy bar

Don't let a few bad apples sway you from an excellent bar experience. Silly to say you didn't like a drink you ordered and knew the ingredients

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, @homeinok said:

Don't let the negative comments on here turn you off of the Alchemy bar. Are the Bartenders rude not really they are just better trained and don't make all the other fufu crap that you get at the other bars. They don't use the common mixes and if you go and ask for a Jack and Coke they do kinda turn their noses up at you. Just tell them what flavors you like and enjoy the show and a strong drink. Well worth it!!!

Oh. OH! OH! That's what I've been looking for....a strong drink! I didn't find one on our cruise last year. That's what I was missing. Thank you! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PGRoyal said:

Although I did have a bad experience my first time (especially after all the hype on these boards), we did have a very nice experience with different servers.  I hope you have a great experience and someone fun and eager to please (more in line with the Swedish chef 😉)

• Haha 1

We had one bartender at the Alchemy Bar on the Miracle in November of 2017.  He was so rude.  We asked if they had beer or sodas because we had never been on a ship with Alchemy and he was so snotty and proceeded to explain this was a specialty bar.  As I said we didn't have a clue as to what the bar was about. I wish I had gotten his name.  I wanted to say something to Guest Services.  I never saw him after that time.  Other servers were great.

Candi

• Like 1

My son is into making Tiki rum drinks... very elaborate recipes from the 40's and 50's.  One recipe he makes that I like is the original Zombie created by ‘Don the Beachcomber’.  I wonder if the Alchemy bartenders know how to make it.  I'll have to ask on my upcoming cruise.

Ingredients

1 ½ oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
1 ½ oz Dark Jamaican Rum
1 oz 151-proof Demerara Rum
½ oz Falernum 
½ oz Don's Mix - 2:1 ratio of White Grapefruit Juice to Cinnamon Syrup
¾ oz Fresh Lime Juice
1 dash Angostura Bitters
⅛ tsp Herbsaint or Pernod - the equivalent of 6 drops
1 tsp Grenadine - preferably homemade
6 oz Crushed Ice - the equivalent of ¾ cup
1 Mint Sprig

My buddy and I had a great time at Alchemy while on the cheers program on the Breeze back in April of 2018. I really enjoyed the cucumber sunrise and wanted to have it as a spicy drink. The bartender there would go out of his way every day prior to opening to find a hotter chili pepper to muddle into my drink. It was like a game to see if he can get me to tap out to the spice (nothing he was able to get his hands on did the trick). We got great service there and everyone was friendly. 

Shocked to see this many negative comments about the Alchemy. It seems like quite a few people were irritated that they couldn't serve their choices. I'm sorry if you had a rude bartender as well.

Alchemy is a staple for us. I remember introducing my friends to it and they were wary at first. Now, they want to go almost nightly. We've had so many great bartenders, and the vibe around it is very fun. Tell them what you like, and they can often make you a drink around that. Maybe even ask them for their signature drink. I love bourbon and have had some fantastic bourbon drinks from mentioning it. I'll be honest, the menu isn't exactly full of my go-tos, but that isn't the be all end all.