Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

32 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

We are on the Sydney to Bali.

Do you have a reference or facts supporting your claim for Bali not accepting cruise passengers? I really dislike rumors.

So I just found a thread on the RCCL page (different to what I had read) that seems to suggest it was a RCCL (or Captain ) decision. What I had read and been told was that it was a port decision, so this is conflicting and not sure which is accurate.

Either way passengers were not allowed off in Bali, not sure what significance it may have for your cruise.

2 hours ago, teamflames said:

So I just found a thread on the RCCL page (different to what I had read) that seems to suggest it was a RCCL (or Captain ) decision. What I had read and been told was that it was a port decision, so this is conflicting and not sure which is accurate.

Either way passengers were not allowed off in Bali, not sure what significance it may have for your cruise.

Thank you.

I wonder what ports the ship had visited prior to visiting Bali - that might have had something to do wit it (like the Westerdam?)

updated Sojourn itinerary changes on Seabourn website ... good for some, bad for others, but at  least decision made..., as below 

February 21, 2020

Due to the unpredictable changes we have seen the past few weeks in travel restrictions and port operations throughout Asia, Seabourn Cruise Line has replaced the Asia port calls on its World Cruise 2020 aboard Seabourn Sojourn with calls in Australia and New Zealand.

Specific changes to the turnaround ports on the affected Seabourn Sojourn voyages include:

Date:

Original Port:

Updated Port:

March 22, 2020

Singapore

Freemantle (Perth), Australia

April 3, 2020

Hong Kong

Melbourne, Australia

April 6, 2020

Manila, Philippines

Hobart (Tasmania), Australia

April 13, 2020

Benoa (Denpasar), Indonesia

Sydney, Australia

April 29, 2020

Sydney, Australia

Auckland, New Zealand

Port calls from March 11 – April 30 are also affected, with some destinations changed and others rescheduled to alternate dates.

Details of the revised itineraries are being communicated to guests and travel advisors. Guests who are booked on affected voyages will receive a future cruise credit. Both booked guests and travel advisors are being notified along with specific details related to their itinerary.

Guests who have questions should contact their travel advisor or the appropriate Seabourn Officein their market.

18 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Thank you.

I wonder what ports the ship had visited prior to visiting Bali - that might have had something to do wit it (like the Westerdam?)

I just did a google search and it states the itinerary is Sydney to Fremantle all Australian stops except Bali. So would not make sense for Bali to deny them based on that itinerary. Perhaps the Captain didn’t want to risk being rejected at Australian ports ?? 
Do Australian itineraries have to include a foreign port? If so they may have decided to simply port in the waters but not allow passengers off? All speculation on my behalf. 

17 minutes ago, teamflames said:

I just did a google search and it states the itinerary is Sydney to Fremantle all Australian stops except Bali. So would not make sense for Bali to deny them based on that itinerary. Perhaps the Captain didn’t want to risk being rejected at Australian ports ?? 
Do Australian itineraries have to include a foreign port? If so they may have decided to simply port in the waters but not allow passengers off? All speculation on my behalf. 

If a ship *only* calls at Australian ports and doesn't go to at least one 'foreign' port then there are tax implications on things like duty free liquor. This is why (I have read this before) the round Aussie cruises often include Bali as it's an easy stop. So the captain really had to stop and clear the ship in Bali even if he didn't let anyone off or it would have cost RCCL $$$. 

As far as I can tell this was entirely RCCL's choice as not allowing anyone off in Bali makes the entire cruise an Australian port only embarkation/disembarkation cruise and pretty much zeroes the possibility of the ship's ongoing trips around Australia getting impacted if the Australian port authorities decide Indonesia is a no-go. 

Edited by rols

16 minutes ago, Cruise Beach said:

updated Sojourn itinerary changes on Seabourn website ... good for some, bad for others, but at  least decision made..., as below 

February 21, 2020

Due to the unpredictable changes we have seen the past few weeks in travel restrictions and port operations throughout Asia, Seabourn Cruise Line has replaced the Asia port calls on its World Cruise 2020 aboard Seabourn Sojourn with calls in Australia and New Zealand.

Specific changes to the turnaround ports on the affected Seabourn Sojourn voyages include:

Date:

Original Port:

Updated Port:

March 22, 2020

Singapore

Freemantle (Perth), Australia

April 3, 2020

Hong Kong

Melbourne, Australia

April 6, 2020

Manila, Philippines

Hobart (Tasmania), Australia

April 13, 2020

Benoa (Denpasar), Indonesia

Sydney, Australia

April 29, 2020

Sydney, Australia

Auckland, New Zealand

Port calls from March 11 – April 30 are also affected, with some destinations changed and others rescheduled to alternate dates.

Details of the revised itineraries are being communicated to guests and travel advisors. Guests who are booked on affected voyages will receive a future cruise credit. Both booked guests and travel advisors are being notified along with specific details related to their itinerary.

Guests who have questions should contact their travel advisor or the appropriate Seabourn Officein their market.

We were on the Sydney to Suva cruise now we leave from Auckland, here is the latest information from them 

Dear Valued Guest:

We look forward to welcoming you on board Seabourn Sojourn for our special 2020 World Cruise sailing and wish to advise you of changes to our scheduled itinerary.

As you know, Seabourn has been closely monitoring the very fluid and evolving situation with respect to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) that originated in mainland China. Our medical experts are being briefed regularly and coordinating closely with international health authorities to ensure we protect the health and well-being of our guests and crew, which is always our top priority.

The difficult decision to adjust our itinerary has been made based on the unpredictable changes we have seen recently in travel restrictions and port operations in Asia. While we expect things will stabilize, we endeavor to ensure our guests’ experience will live up to their expectations.  

We have therefore altered our March and April itineraries, and in early March we will proceed to Western Australia and follow an Australia and New Zealand itinerary. As a result, your voyage will now begin in Auckland, New Zealand rather than Sydney, Australia.  At this time there are no other changes to your voyage itinerary.

In recognition of this significant change to your voyage, when you sail you will receive a Future Cruise Credit of 25% of the cruise fare paid for the 1-day portion of your cruise that has been revised. The terms and conditions of this Future Cruise Credit are listed on the reverse side of this letter. When you sail you will also receive $250.00 USD as an onboard credit applied to your shipboard account. These credits can be used toward any shore excursion, as well as services in the spa and all onboard purchases.

For guests with pre-cruise hotel and transfer arrangements in Sydney, you will automatically receive a refund to your original form of payment and you do not need to contact Seabourn to obtain your refund.

Guests with Seabourn’s Flight Ease®

Guests who have purchased their air through Seabourn will have their embarkation flights rebooked to arrive in Auckland rather than Sydney at our expense. We will communicate your new homeward travel arrangements to you within the next two weeks.

Guests with Independent Air

Guests with independent travel arrangements should rebook their air to arrive at Auckland Airport (AKL) on Wednesday, April 29, no later than 2:30 PM. 

We understand some guests may prefer not to travel at this time. Should you choose to defer your travel and cancel your cruise you will receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (excluding independent travel expenses) for the base cruise fare paid that can be used on a replacement cruise that sails within 12 months. The terms and conditions of this Future Cruise Credit are listed below. You will also receive a full refund of any Seabourn pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Seabourn, and taxes, fees, and port expenses back to the original form of payment. 

We understand these changes may cause you to incur other unexpected expenses, such as air change fees. Reimbursement of reasonable non-refundable expenses will be considered on a case-by-case basis. A Change Fee Reimbursement Form is available at http://*****/SBN_CHGFEE; please complete this form and submit it, along with any relevant receipts and documentation, for review by our corporate office. If you purchased SeabournShield® or independent vacation travel insurance, please submit your claim through your carrier before submitting a reimbursement request.

Should you have any questions, please contact your travel advisor or Seabourn at the appropriate office:

Seattle Office (USD/CAD Currency):
Contact us at 1 800 207 3551. We are available Monday – Friday 6:00am to 5:00pm PST

Rotterdam Office (EUR Currency):
Contact us at 00800 1872 1872. We are available Monday – Friday 9:00am to 6:00pm

Southampton Office (GBP Currency):
Contact us at 0344 338 8615. We are available Monday – Friday 9:00am to 6:00pm

Sydney Office (AUD Currency):
Contact us at 300 987 323. We are available Monday – Friday 8:30am to 7:00pm

We appreciate your understanding that this unprecedented situation is beyond our control and regret this disruption to your vacation plans.  Please know that we are working to provide the best possible destination experience for you.

Thank you for your attention to this important information and for choosing Seabourn. We are eager to welcome you on board and remain, as always, at your service.

Kind regards,

Seabourn

For Guests Who Sail:

Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Terms & Conditions

The value of this credit may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new reservation with Seabourn, and is combinable with any other applicable discount. While the credit is valid for one year from the date of this letter, please note that it needs only to be applied to the new booking by that time; the cruise does not need to depart within this timeframe. You may choose any available suite category, but the credit may not be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit, nor may it be used for taxes, onboard expenses, or optional programs or services such as flights, shore excursions, pre- and post-cruise packages, or the SeabournShield program. This credit is attached to your Club number and will automatically be credited toward your cruise fare. We do suggest that you or your travel advisor verify this credit with our Reservations Agent at time of booking to confirm that the credit has been applied.

For Guests Who Choose to Cancel:

Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Terms & Conditions

The value of this credit may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new reservation with Seabourn, and is combinable with any other applicable discount. The credit is valid for a cruise departing within one year from the date of this letter. You may choose any available suite category, but the credit may not be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit, nor may it be used for taxes, onboard expenses, or optional programs or services such as flights, shore excursions, pre- and post-cruise packages, or the SeabournShield program. This credit is attached to your Club number and will automatically be credited toward your cruise fare. We do suggest that you or your travel professional verify this credit with our Reservations agent at time of booking to confirm that the credit has been applied

Sojourn 38 day SE Asia to Sydney, now a completely different "all Australia" itinerary.

Despite a 100% different itinerary, (one that will not likely be of interest to well travelled Aussies) it seems ingenuous of Seabourn not to offer a complete refund as an option...

Am in 2 minds as what to do... Auckland SFO or leave for other in South America with more air $$$, out of my pocket...

instead of corralling guests back to the Carnival coffers,  and offering tiny FCC as compensation on an all new itineraries... I believe those affected should be given better options.

Seems to me I would have had a better goodwill option from RCI, Celebrity , Princess and other 'lesser' brands...

As a previous  Crystal and Oceania traveller on a first time trip on SB, I can't say I am feeling much warmth to the brand.

(To avoid inflaming matters, please accept that this us MY current viewpoint...as it may also be for other Aussies booked on Sojourn March 22 for 38 days Asia trip.

+++Whilst understanding fully the complexities and costs and dangers of the outbreak, and its affect on ALL cruise brands+++

....Is it unreasonable to expect SB to equal or better the options given by other lines...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, zimflyer said:

Sojourn 38 day SE Asia to Sydney, now a completely different "all Australia" itinerary.

Despite a 100% different itinerary, (one that will not likely be of interest to well travelled Aussies) it seems ingenuous of Seabourn not to offer a complete refund as an option...

Am in 2 minds as what to do... Auckland SFO or leave for other in South America with more air $$$, out of my pocket...

instead of corralling guests back to the Carnival coffers,  and offering tiny FCC as compensation on an all new itineraries... I believe those affected should be given better options.

Seems to me I would have had a better goodwill option from RCI, Celebrity , Princess and other 'lesser' brands...

As a previous  Crystal and Oceania traveller on a first time trip on SB, I can't say I am feeling much warmth to the brand.

(To avoid inflaming matters, please accept that this us MY current viewpoint...as it may also be for other Aussies booked on Sojourn March 22 for 38 days Asia trip.

+++Whilst understanding fully the complexities and costs and dangers of the outbreak, and its affect on ALL cruise brands+++

....Is it unreasonable to expect SB to equal or better the options given by other lines...

I am not loyal to any line and not passing any judgement on the Seabourn offer but I don’t think Crystal has done it any better.
They kept sailing in Asia longer than anyone, only offered an FCC to those who wanted to cancel (and its expiry was only one year). They cancelled several mini cruises and didn’t even give refunds until the backlash was so significant that they then gave the option of refund or fcc (only 100% no extra compensation).

Now they have just cancelled their Asian cruise itineraries AFTER the deadline they had established for passengers to choose whether to take the limited FCC offer, so if you played poker and called their bluff you get refund and extra fcc.

As I said not brand loyal (I have upcoming cruises in both SB and Crystal and have not been impressed by either).

• Like 2

Thanks for your info, like you, shocked at Crystal acting so late...

I just feel that if an itinerary has

+ 0% of the original itinerary...

+ Requires new air to NEW depart port       AND from NEW arrival port...

+ Likely that your investment in air to           original depart port will be forfeited..

Then it should be an option for full refund AND compensation for lost air, expenses if justifiable proof.

Seems RCI, Princess etc etc have no problem, but why have BETTER CARE for guests on "less luxurious" parts of the Carnival brands...

I really hope someone at SB thinks this through because there will be a lot of very busy consultants on the phone lines... better to act proactively from the start than to modify according to mood.

Sad for all sides of the equation. Staff, shareholders, Crew, countries losing tourism but also don't  forget the reason for the business too, one's "Guests..."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, teamflames said:

... Now they have just cancelled their Asian cruise itineraries AFTER the deadline they had established for passengers to choose whether to take the limited FCC offer, so if you played poker and called their bluff you get refund and extra fcc.

Just a minor correction.  Crystal asked guests to notify them by Feb 21 if they chose to cancel their Asia cruise for 100% FCC.  Since we were affected, I clarified that the deadline was the end of business at 9:00 PM EST on Feb 21.  Crystal posted an advisory update on their website at 4:00 PM EST on Feb 21 that they were cancelling their Asia cruises for full refunds + 25% FCC.  They posted a further update at 7:00 PM EST on Feb 21 in which they advised about the itinerary changes to the Symphony sailing post-drydock.  So while Crystal certainly cut it very close to the line with literally just hours to spare, they did not cancel the sailings AFTER their deadline had expired.

3 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Just a minor correction.  Crystal asked guests to notify them by Feb 21 if they chose to cancel their Asia cruise for 100% FCC.  Since we were affected, I clarified that the deadline was the end of business at 9:00 PM EST on Feb 21.  Crystal posted an advisory update on their website at 4:00 PM EST on Feb 21 that they were cancelling their Asia cruises for full refunds + 25% FCC.  They posted a further update at 7:00 PM EST on Feb 21 in which they advised about the itinerary changes to the Symphony sailing post-drydock.  So while Crystal certainly cut it very close to the line with literally just hours to spare, they did not cancel the sailings AFTER their deadline had expired.

So Seabourn....?

31 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Thanks for correction, certainly played it as close as possible.

We just received the following email from Seabourn.  We are not "happy campers"! A lot of worthless ports with NO offer of help for new flights for independent bookers. Also, we are on a 42 night cruise, so I do not even know if we are offered a credit if we decline to take the entire cruise.

February 20, 2020

Dear Valued Guest:

We look forward to welcoming you on board Seabourn Ovation for your 42-day Ancient Empires Exploration voyage and wish to advise you of changes to our scheduled itinerary.

As you know, Seabourn has been closely monitoring the very fluid and evolving situation with respect to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) that originated in mainland China. Our medical experts are being briefed regularly and coordinating closely with international health authorities to ensure we protect the health and well-being of our guests and crew, which is always our top priority.

The difficult decision to adjust our itinerary has been made based on the unpredictable changes we have seen recently in travel restrictions and port operations in Asia. While we expect things will stabilize, we endeavor to ensure our guests’ experience will live up to their expectations.  

As a result, your voyage will now begin in Colombo, Sri Lanka, rather than Singapore, and we have modified the first half of your itinerary. We will no longer call to Thailand or Myanmar (Burma), and have added additional port calls in Sri Lanka, India, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Qatar. To accommodate these changes, our calls to Mumbai (Bombay), India and Muscat (Oman) have been moved to new dates.

The revised portion of your itinerary is now as follows:

Date

Destination

Arrive

Depart

Saturday, March 14

Colombo, Sri Lanka

5:00 PM

Sunday, March 15

Hambantota, Sri Lanka

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Monday, March 16

At Sea (Indian Ocean)

Tuesday, March 17

Cochin, India

7:00 AM

Wednesday, March 18

At Sea (Arabian Sea)

Thursday, March 19

Marmagao (Goa), India

Friday, March 20

Mumbai (Bombay), India

Noon

Overnight

Saturday, March 21

Mumbai (Bombay), India

Overnight

11:00 PM

Sunday, March 22

At Sea (Arabian Sea)

Monday, March 23

At Sea

Tuesday, March 24

At Sea (Gulf of Oman)

Wednesday, March 25

Khasab, Oman

Thursday, March 26

Fujairah, UAE

Friday, March 27

Muscat, Oman

Overnight

Saturday, March 28

Muscat, Oman

Overnight

11:00 PM

Sunday, March 29

At Sea (Gulf of Oman)

Monday, March 30

Abu Dhabi, UAE

Tuesday, March 31

Ras al Khaimah, UAE

Wednesday, April 1

At Sea (Persian Gulf)

Thursday, April 2

Khalifa Bin Salman, Bahrain

Friday, April 3

Doha, Qatar

Saturday, April 4

Sir Bani Yas Island, UAE

4:00 PM

Sunday, April 5

Dubai, Uae

In recognition of these significant changes to your voyage, when you sail you will receive a Future Cruise Credit of 25% of the cruise fare paid for the 22-day segment of your voyage that begins on March 14. The terms and conditions of this Future Cruise Credit are listed below.

For guests with Seabourn tours booked for the cancelled ports or Seabourn pre-cruise hotel and transfer arrangements in Singapore, you will automatically receive a refund to your original form of payment and you do not need to contact Seabourn to obtain your refund. Our Destinations Team is working to secure tours for our new ports, and more information about our new tour programs will be available on board.

Guests with Seabourn’s Flight Ease®

Guests who have purchased their air through Seabourn will have their embarkation flights rebooked to arrive in Colombo rather than Singapore at our expense. We will communicate your new travel arrangements to you within the next two weeks.

Guests with Independent Air

Guests with independent travel arrangements should rebook their air to arrive at Sri Lanka’s Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB) on Saturday, March 14, no later than 1:30 PM. 

We understand this is not the cruise vacation you anticipated, and some guests may prefer not to travel at this time. Should you choose to defer your travel and cancel your cruise you will receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (excluding independent travel expenses) for the base cruise fare paid that can be used on a replacement cruise that sails within 12 months. The terms and conditions of this Future Cruise Credit are listed below. You will also receive a full refund of any Seabourn pre- or post-cruise hotel packages or transfers, prepaid shore excursions and amenities purchased through Seabourn, and taxes, fees, and port expenses back to the original form of payment. 

We also recognize that these changes may cause you to incur other unexpected expenses, such as air change fees. Reimbursement of reasonable non-refundable expenses will be considered on a case-by-case basis. A Change Fee Reimbursement Form is available at http://*****/SBN_CHGFEE; please complete this form and submit it, along with any relevant receipts and documentation, for review by our corporate office. If you purchased SeabournShield® or independent vacation travel insurance, please submit your claim through your carrier before submitting a reimbursement request.

Should you have any questions, please contact your travel advisor or Seabourn at the appropriate office:

Seattle Office (USD/CAD Currency):
Contact us at 1 800 207 3551. We are available Monday – Friday 6:00am to 5:00pm PST

Rotterdam Office (EUR Currency):
Contact us at 00800 1872 1872. We are available Monday – Friday 9:00am to 6:00pm

Southampton Office (GBP Currency):
Contact us at 0344 338 8615. We are available Monday – Friday 9:00am to 6:00pm

Sydney Office (AUD Currency):
Contact us at 300 987 323. We are available Monday – Friday 8:30am to 7:00pm

We appreciate your understanding that this unprecedented situation is beyond our control and regret this disruption to your vacation plans.  Please know that we are working to provide the best possible destination experience for you.

Thank you for your attention to this important information and for choosing Seabourn. We are eager to welcome you on board and remain, as always, at your service.

7 minutes ago, 3418ahl said:

We just received the following email from Seabourn.  We are not "happy campers"! A lot of worthless ports with NO offer of help for new flights for independent bookers. Also, we are on a 42 night cruise, so I do not even know if we are offered a credit if we decline to take the entire cruise.

That sucks. I'd wondered if they were going to do embarkation in Columbo or India but discounted that as being pretty stupid. Clearly it wasn't stupid enough. At this point they should have canned the whole Singapore to Dubai leg and embarked everyone in the UAE. Given where Columbo is I wonder how many boarding are going to take their original flights to Singapore and then do the 4 hour puddle jump from here to Columbo, this somewhat negating the point of not starting in Singapore since 75% of passengers will have stopped here anyway. And if they add 'no Singapore' to the boarding requirements (which they've not done yet as far as I can see) there will be few passengers able to get on. 

Taking out Burma is rather frustrating and the ports added in the UAE aren't brilliant. This definitely seems like a downgrade from the trip booked. At least they have done it with 3 weeks to spare to let people work out what to do. Then again the way the situation is unfolding I don't have extreme confidence they won't be changing things again. 

• Like 1

Your comment about Singapore being added in the future to boarding requirements is exactly what I was thinking.  Also, there are very few airlines going there, so our flights are not able to be changed within the same airline (Qatar).  I am going to call Seabourn on Monday and ask about future credit for the entire cruise, which is how it was booked.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 3418ahl said:

Your comment about Singapore being added in the future to boarding requirements is exactly what I was thinking.  Also, there are very few airlines going there, so our flights are not able to be changed within the same airline (Qatar).  I am going to call Seabourn on Monday and ask about future credit for the entire cruise, which is how it was booked.

Very annoying, are you flying from US, could you potentially fly via Australia?

1 hour ago, 3418ahl said:

Also, there are very few airlines going there, so our flights are not able to be changed within the same airline (Qatar). 

Qatar shows two flights Doha to Colombo and two by codeshare with SriLankan.

Bill

We would need to fly from Charlotte  to Columbo.  One cannot chance going from Singapore and possibly being denied boarding in the future.  There are no Qatar flights available.  I would prefer a future credit at this point.  Looking at the letter, I assume I can credit the entire cruise.

I hope you don't mind me here 3418ahl, but I would hate to see your vacation lost.

Qatar001.thumb.jpg.462b21753efa9ef6376462fa50a234f3.jpg

Captured 1am EST Sunday.

Qatar also has their own flights direct from Atlanta, Philadelphia, JFK, and LGA to Doha. From Atlanta business started at $2343

Is your agent not pressing enough about swapping your Singapore flight to Colombo? Currently the Colombo business ticket is 1/3 that of Singapore.

Bill

Thanks so much for going out of your way and finding this, but at this point I think I will try and take a fcc for the entire 42 night cruise.  I have NO interest whatsoever in the poor first leg itinerary, and as for the second, Qatar is banned from going into Dubai.  I really had wanted to go back to Myanmar one more time, but alas, that is not to be.

We don’t mind the new itinerary as we’ve been to Phuket and Yangon before and weren’t planning anything ... BUT ... Colombo seems to be a very difficult place to get to without going through Singapore if you live in Perth. Much thinking to be done.