Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

8 minutes ago, rols said:

oh if that's the case then it's less-bad than I thought. I'd assumed it was book something to travel in 12 months, not that you have 12 months to find something to apply your credit to. 

Perhaps someone can confirm the wording. 

I have seen both reported but the "travel within 12 months" was just someones statement - maybe true or not - don't know.  The "book within 12 months and travel whenever" was someone posting an email from SB.

39 minutes ago, ab21au said:

I have seen both reported but the "travel within 12 months" was just someones statement - maybe true or not - don't know.  The "book within 12 months and travel whenever" was someone posting an email from SB.

Wrong , I am afraid here is the text of SB message to us....

" We understand this is not the cruise vacation you anticipated, and some guests may prefer not to travel at this time. Should you choose to defer your travel and cancel your cruise you will receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (excluding independent travel expenses) that can be used on a replacement cruise that sails within 12 months. The terms and conditions of this Future Cruise Credit are listed below"

SAILS Within 12 months... now if we look at effect of virus mulyiplying geographically...

It is not fair to deny cancellation. Especially if you are elderly 

or have health concerns 

or do not want to pay for an itinerary you did not book,

(an itinerary with no ports, no origin or destination the same as the original booking.)

I am sorry, AB21AU, despite all the efforts you ascribe to SB,  it is my argument that they morally are obliged to offer cancellation without penalty.

Regardless of this,  it is also guests who are inconvenienced by Covid 19  why do we pay with our $$ for SB scheduling needs for world cruise back to USA.

I bought 38 days Sojourn   Singapore to Sydney via Asia to Eastern Aust to Sydney.

I will now have to start in Perth, West Australia and finish in Auckland NZ via some ports that are so tiny and bereft of interest that you would not do more than have a pub meal and drive on in your car ...when you live here in Australia, these are not ports you drram of.

Am I being unreasonable, I seek fairness...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Astride said:

Points well taken, Zimflyer. And what if a cruise line goes bankrupt due to Covid-19? Is it just me or does anyone else feel that a lot of people are wearing blinkers when it concerns the possible consequences of a pandemic on the cruise industry?

Judy

I've been concerned about that for a while now.  My husband, the insolvency lawyer, mentioned it some time ago.  Of course he is quite used to looking at the financial down side of things.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zimflyer said:

Wrong

No, just different. It appears, depending on the number of days until the sailing, SB are offering different compensation. eg. the Feb 29 sailing were offered a refund and 50% fcc of the base fare. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ab21au said:

No, just different. It appears, depending on the number of days until the sailing, SB are offering different compensation. eg. the Feb 29 sailing were offered a refund and 50% fcc of the base fare. 

No doubt about the rebooking conditions though, if we wish to rebook we can do so BUT ONLY "on sailings within 12 months..."

The virus will not make that an easy choice...

Out of interest ab21au, are you booked on any of these affected cruises yourself...

If so you would likely understand the position of guests who are faced with 100% change of cruise....

If not, it is easy to comment when you are not personally affected...

For passengers on the full Sojourn world cruise, they will get an in depth  trip around southern Australia. Fine if you are not living locally...

For passengers who booked for a now discarded Asia with Eastern seaboard Aust. trip,  its another matter.

I am not foaming at the mouth,  just as SB have done their best for world cruisers, they should recognise and act to differring issues for those booked on specific sectors. If I were given 4 ports in Middle East over others in Asia, I would object too. Its not what I paid for ...

I am stating a fact. If you pay and order a steak dinner, dont tell me I am having vegetarian and you have to pay anyway. 

1 hour ago, zimflyer said:

Out of interest ab21au, are you booked on any of these affected cruises yourself...

We were booked on HK to SIN 29th sailing and was due to fly to HK today. We had thought about the Encore AUK to SYD but the decided to do an Athens to Athens (hopefully) in August. It is one we had planned to do at some stage anyway. 

I do understand your predicament and it a shame SB were not consistent in their offerings (I think it did appear to have something to do with the amount of time before sailing).  While we are happy with our outcome, we could have had it differently had we waited to when SB cancelled our cruise. My understanding is they were offering a refund and 50% fcc. 

If I were in your shoes, I would have your TA contact SB and explain the situation. I honestly do not think they are out to “scr*w” anyone (make anyone suffer) and will do their best to sort out issues ( I hope that’s true anyway). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ab21au said:

We were booked on HK to SIN 29th sailing and was due to fly to HK today. We had thought about the Encore AUK to SYD but the decided to do an Athens to Athens (hopefully) in August. It is one we had planned to do at some stage anyway. 

I do understand your predicament and it a shame SB were not consistent in their offerings (I think it did appear to have something to do with the amount of time before sailing).  While we are happy with our outcome, we could have had it differently had we waited to when SB cancelled our cruise. My understanding is they were offering a refund and 50% fcc. 

If I were in your shoes, I would have your TA contact SB and explain the situation. I honestly do not think they are out to “scr*w” anyone (make anyone suffer) and will do their best to sort out issues ( I hope that’s true anyway). 

Thanks for your story, its good to know where others are at...

Unfortunately I booked through an agency in US. Seabourn have been resolute and uncompromising despite several back and forth calls  including with management of the this very large agency.

I now have sent a further email to Guest Relations at SB.

I await a  non standard response to my issues. Hopefully respect for the client will prevail. I will keep you all posted.

As an aside ab21au, we have 49 days double Med, Greece  and Mid East on Crystal booked Aug thru Nov 2020. We are already concerned that this may be disrupted if this virus outbreak leaps across many more countries, it can only go global.  I wish your plans well...and hope we get our summer trips or near enough...

Have not been reading the posts here,,,seem similar to Regent. Just cancelled a Balitic one on that one and moved my air tickets to the one I had booked for Oct. on SB...to Canary Islands.YES, and I DID see on TV news that virus THERE and people forced to quarantine in hotel.

I m getting upset and feel so very sorry for ALL the others being really screwed up by this disaster.

I was lucky to be able to cancel BEFORE penalty phase,,,but did have to pay $450 per ticket for change there.

Compared to so many others that will really lose a great deal,feel sort of relieved.

Hope and pray this does NOT turn into Pandemic ,,like they fear. So many will be greatly affected,or worse.

Also heard Barcelona has cases,,,,thats were my cruise starts.Have till June 25 to cancel that Oct one,,if needed.Then pay another $450 ea.to change tickets again. What a nightmare.

Barcelona only has one case at the moment, someone who'd travelled from Northern Italy.  I have everything crossed because we disembark there after a 30 day cruise in May and have independently booked our flights, luggage etc.  

There is a case in Madrid and then of course the Canaries.

12 hours ago, SLSD said:

I've been concerned about that for a while now.  My husband, the insolvency lawyer, mentioned it some time ago.  Of course he is quite used to looking at the financial down side of things.  

Whereas in the flip side of that equation, I bought back 100 shares of CCL stock today after having divested at a profit last year.  I have had good luck investing in other travel stocks at times like this but at minimum, I get a shareholder on two cruises coming up this year.

• Like 2

I have now received the new itinery , Darwin , 8 sea days to Colombo to Dubai.

Has the same option to cancel but if we take the cruise we would get a whole $250 obc!

compensation for all the sea days .

Anyway , will cancel now .

Sorry to hear of your itinerary woes. 

Did SB offer refund? Or is it same as us...book another sailing date within 12 months...

It is a really frustrating moment, esp when looked forward to for some time. Good luck with your travels...

26 minutes ago, nzlife said:

I have now received the new itinery , Darwin , 8 sea days to Colombo to Dubai.

Has the same option to cancel but if we take the cruise we would get a whole $250 obc!

compensation for all the sea days .

Anyway , will cancel now .

What was your original itinerary? Bali to Dubai? So the Bali to Singapore leg is now just sea days?

Interestingly Crystal just cancelled 3 legs of its world cruise between Syd and Mumbai. Only 2 days ago they changed Syd to Sing to Syd to Bali but now they have just completely cancelled it, I am not sure what has happened in 2 days to make such a drastic change - perhaps the CDC officially warning against cruises in Asia?

Wow,that sounds like very little for such a drastic change,glad you were able to cancel.Hope within no penalty phase,or you have CFAR ins.

I have learned that I will now buy that,,when I book.Just in case. Know its more expensive,but will cover this mess and pre existing conditions.Which at our age,,,both mid 70s ,,,they will surely find,,if we tried to collect on reg travel ins.

We always book own air,but may look into ins.they offer too. Just spent 900$ to change,,as mentioned above.

Glad only 1 case in Barcelona,,,have quite awhile till my trip.Will keep up to date re all of Europe.

I just read this article which mentions cruising and the virus.  One interesting fact---the author claims that those who booked and insured their travel BEFORE the virus was reported and became known---SHOULD be able to collect on their insurance for cancellations.  Read the article and see what you think:  https://theconversation.com/is-cruising-still-safe-will-i-be-insured-what-you-need-to-know-about-travelling-during-the-coronavirus-crisis-131900?fbclid=IwAR30NyWrSj-zqvTyXTqEzJIB6VX4evnzs-8sg5ABONQabu4MldksMpwh7tw

21 hours ago, teamflames said:

Crystal just cancelled 3 legs of its world cruise between Syd and Mumbai

Not true.  The world cruise will go on, but Crystal Serenity is not embarking any new passengers in Sydney, Bali and Colombo.  Additionally, segmenters who were due to disembark in any of these ports will need to disembark in Sydney and not proceed to either Bali or Colombo.  The world cruise will end in Rome April 21 as scheduled (for now, at least). 

3 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Not true.  The world cruise will go on, but Crystal Serenity is not embarking any new passengers in Sydney, Bali and Colombo.  Additionally, segmenters who were due to disembark in any of these ports will need to disembark in Sydney and not proceed to either Bali or Colombo.  The world cruise will end in Rome April 21 as scheduled (for now, at least). 

What is the problem with embarking/disembarking in Bali or Colombo? Is it Bali & Colombo that are not accepting cruise passengers? If so, that is silly as they are allowing air traffic into the country.

Edited by Paulchili

46 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

What is the problem with embarking/disembarking in Bali or Colombo? Is it Bali & Colombo that are not accepting cruise passengers? If so, that is silly as they are allowing air traffic into the country.

Beats the heck out of me.  It would be nice to get an explanation beyond the boilerplate "this is a rapidly evolving situation," but I don't really expect one. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Semantics, as of yesterday they were changing the next 3 legs and no one was allowed to board in Sydney. Only those who are sailing the entire world cruise could stay onboard (or they could choose to disembark early and receive a pro rata refund) ie for new cruisers the next 3 itineraries were effectively cancelled and this was only days after they had changed those itineraries and people had changed their plans.

As of today another backflip and people are now allowed to board in Sydney if they accept itinerary changes.

This is insane, the lack of information is infuriating, “the situation is fluid” doesn’t cut it. 
We need to know what is causing the changes so we can also be informed as to what suits us.

I have sailings on both Seabourn and Crystal in the coming 2 months. Along with other cruises and travel plans.

I need to know (as best as they can) what is driving their decisions so I have some chance of anticipating what decisions I need to make.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:16 PM, jenidallas said:

Whereas in the flip side of that equation, I bought back 100 shares of CCL stock today after having divested at a profit last year.  I have had good luck investing in other travel stocks at times like this but at minimum, I get a shareholder on two cruises coming up this year.

Smart move, Jenni!

6 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

I sort of understand the 'no embarkations' bit. If they don't let passengers (or crew) on in Sydney then they can say everyone on the ship has been on the ship for two weeks so it doesn't really matter where they travelled before that. If they let people board and one of them has been in a place which is ok now, but ends up on the banned list in the next two weeks, the entire ship is at risk of not docking. Extreme but I sort of get it. 

The disembarkation however, I don't get that at all. I can't see any risk in letting people get OFF a ship and go home. 

The whole thing's a mess though. I read the thread on the Crystal board and there were people 1/2 way to Sydney before they were told the cruise is off; and people who fixed flights to Bali two days ago only to have to cancel them again. I have to agree that "the situation is fluid" really doesn't cut it. 

7 hours ago, rols said:

I sort of understand the 'no embarkations' bit. If they don't let passengers (or crew) on in Sydney then they can say everyone on the ship has been on the ship for two weeks so it doesn't really matter where they travelled before that. If they let people board and one of them has been in a place which is ok now, but ends up on the banned list in the next two weeks, the entire ship is at risk of not docking. Extreme but I sort of get it. 

Wouldn't that be the case for every single port for the rest of the cruise?

Not to mention passengers getting off for sightseeing in ports and then re-boarding the ship "infected" (while still asymptomatic).