7.7 Magnitude Earthquake - between Jamaica and Cuba

RickT

We’re on Celebrity Reflection off the coast of Jamaica heading toward Grand Cayman.  So far no update from our Captain as to whether we will visit Georgetown Grand Cayman or change course/itinerary.  The seas here are as calm as a lake at the moment.  

42 minutes ago, 39august said:

What areas, please?

Link I provided shows location.

No reports of damage in Cuba, Jamaica or Cayman Islands.  Quake was apparently felt as far away as Miami.  A few aftershocks but most reports say any concern has passed.

I’m also aboard Reflection off the coast of Jamaica heading (theoretically) towards Grand Cayman for arrival at Noon Today (Wednesday).  The seas were so earily calm this afternoon that I sent my kids a short video clip showing how strange it was. The sea was like a lake.

I don’t believe they will announce any cancellation of the port call until a decision has been made as to an alternative port (or an additional sea day).  If we have a sea day, that would make 3 in a row, so my assumption is that Celebrity has been scrambling to find an alternate port.  This has to be tough because there seem to be 6 ships with a port load of almost 21,000 scheduled to be in Grand Cayman Wednesday..

From what I’ve read, the government has closed their schools for tomorrow to check for structural integrity.  

We’re going to make our own sea day if Celebrity sticks with the itinerary to tender us into George Town tomorrow.  Hope they will refund our “Captain’s Club Exclusive” shore excursion because there’s no way our group is going into the Crystal caves tomorrow — and that was the highlight of the excursion.

Will post photo, but it’s not as obviously calm as we could see from the Sky lounge at trivia At 4:41pm. I’m also attempting to attach a 3 sec video clip from our deck 11 Starboard balcony, just forward of the aft elevators.

Jane

PS I shot these photos and videos before we heard about the Earthquake...just because the water looks so unusually calm.

1E3E7867-6182-4BB2-9892-45326D8EEDF3.jpeg

Edited by JaneStarr
To add video
  • Like 1

Newsweek reporting Sink Holes in George Town  for Earthquake. 

https://www.newsweek.com/major-earthquake-hits-cuba-jamaica-causing-multiple-sinkholes-open-cayman-islands-1484565

In a Twitter post, Dimpinodis said: "#Breaking Multiple sinkholes have formed at the Cayman Islands after the 7.7 magnitude of an earthquake, causing infrastructure damage on pipes and lines." He also showed a video of skyscrapers in Miami, Florida, being evacuated: "#Breaking: Skyscrapers in #Miami in the #US are being evacuated after the 7.7 as a precaution. #Cuba #Jamaica #Tsunami." Twitter account State of Territory News said that sinkholes have appeared at Cricket Square, off Elgin Ave, George Town, in the Cayman Islands.