Passport Renewal

nccruzencouple

Has anyone applied for a Passport lately and know how long it took to get them back.  Need to renew one for one of my kids and and apply for a new one for my other one.  Just wondering on how long it is taking now.  Renewed mine last year and it only took 3 weeks to get back.

5 minutes ago, nccruzencouple said:

Has anyone applied for a Passport lately and know how long it took to get them back.  Need to renew one for one of my kids and and apply for a new one for my other one.  Just wondering on how long it is taking now.  Renewed mine last year and it only took 3 weeks to get back.

Ours took about 4 weeks.  

3 hours ago, nccruzencouple said:

We are doing a renewal for a minor.  I think our appointment was 1/3 at a  local packaging store that processes passports. The passport agency received it 1/8 and they shipped it yesterday.  Tracking says expected delivery is today.  

The email updates I was getting from the state department was stating it was taking 6-8 weeks at this time but obviously ours was shorter than that.

Edited by cmp03

3 hours ago, nccruzencouple said:

Has anyone applied for a Passport lately and know how long it took to get them back.  

It is important to note that passport processing times certainly do change seasonally. The government passport website will state 6 to 8 weeks. Our renewals took about 5 weeks. 

Getting or Renewing a U.S. Passport located @:

https://www.usa.gov/passport

✌️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cmp03 said:

We are doing a renewal for a minor.  I think our appointment was 1/3 at a  local packaging store that processes passports. The passport agency received it 1/8 and they shipped it yesterday.  Tracking says expected delivery is today.  

The email updates I was getting from the state department was stating it was taking 6-8 weeks at this time but obviously ours was shorter than that.

Good point, the email updates on the processing was very helpful. 

1 minute ago, Purvis1231 said:

Can adult now renew passport by mail? 

I'm trying to recall...

I believe you have to go through an Agent -- The Post Office is an Agent.  They charge you something like $30 to process and send on your renewal application, in addition to the $140 passport/card.

9 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Can adult now renew passport by mail? 

Yes, if the passport being renewed is a permanent one (not issued before 16) and has expired less than 15 years from the original issue date. (Why they don't just say 5 years from the original expiration date is beyond me.) The passport must be undamaged and you have to be able to document any name changes.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1