Getting home from the Bahamas

GeorgiaMomof4

We are supposed to sail Saturday on a 5 day cruise.  My Mom has been admitted to the hospital and we are trying to decide whether or not to go.  She is 86 and has been declining in health since October. My husband and I have been her primary caregivers for the past 3 months and we really need a little down time.  

We have her care all lined up for our trip.  She wants us to still go but I need to know how hard it would be to get back home from Nassau or Princess Cay if the need should arise?  Flights, etc.  We would need to fly into Atlanta or Chattanooga.

Thank you!

Prayers for your Mom.  I would think it would be pretty simple to fly home from Nassau but you would need your passports to make it simple.  I did a quick search for flights to Atlanta and it looks like it would cost approximately $223.00 per person.

• Like 1

We have flown home from Nassau due to a medical disembark. My dad had a seizure and spent a night in Doctors Hospital. We booked flights home the next day. Wasn't a problem nor was it expensive.

Don't forget travel insurance! They will assist you in booking flights if necessary. You will likely have to front the costs, but may be re-imbursed.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies.  We are still undecided as to what to do.  Her heart doctor told us

last night that she could last several months with the treatments they have started today, which

is dialysis to remove the excess fluid in her lungs but this is only his best guess.  We are scheduled to 

leave our home town Friday about 6 pm so I'll have to make a decision by tomorrow afternoon at the

latest.  The couple going with us will still be going either way.  Mom still says she wants us to go,

but I'm still undecided.  I know I wouldn't be able to do anything for my sweet Mother if God

decides it's her time, but I worry about leaving my 2 adult and 4 younger children here to deal

with something like that until my husband and I could get home.

You guys have been wonderful - if you're a praying person, please say some prayers for my Mom.

She really needs them!  

• Like 2

Prayers for comfort and healing for Mom and peace and wisdom for you. 

I recognize it is hard to consider leaving, but since you already have the arrangements made I would go.  It might give your mom peace of mind and let her rest better, relieve stress of worrying about you (cause that's what we momma's do, even when we are ill 😉 ) and let her focus on healing without others around.

If you can, take lots of pictures to share with Mom when you get back 🙂 

• Like 1

Prayers for your mom and please go and take a few days to spend with the person you love!! He deserves it as much as you do! It's hard and I understand that but you need to decompress. There isn't anything you can do either way. You can get home as soon as you need to so go have a good time! Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am sure you were a great mother and raised your 2 adult children and other children to be able to handle whatever may come to them while you are away. If you are REALLY freaked out, you may want to consider making a power of attorney that grants one of your adult children medical POA in your absence, assuming you are that for your mother now. I would totally go and enjoy my cruise. 

We were in the same situation a few years back. Mother of my wife was in bad shape. We decided to go at the last minute and had a great cruise. It really helped release some of the stress for my wife and be better prepared to deal with the situation when we got home. Turned out good for us and do not regret the decision.  

Her mother was continued to live for over a year after we got back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

Thank you for all the replies.  We are still undecided as to what to do.  Her heart doctor told us

last night that she could last several months with the treatments they have started today, which

is dialysis to remove the excess fluid in her lungs but this is only his best guess.  We are scheduled to 

leave our home town Friday about 6 pm so I'll have to make a decision by tomorrow afternoon at the

latest.  The couple going with us will still be going either way.  Mom still says she wants us to go,

but I'm still undecided.  I know I wouldn't be able to do anything for my sweet Mother if God

decides it's her time, but I worry about leaving my 2 adult and 4 younger children here to deal

with something like that until my husband and I could get home.

You guys have been wonderful - if you're a praying person, please say some prayers for my Mom.

She really needs them!  

Of course prayers are on the way. As the primary caregivers you need to remember to take care of yourself, also, and that means allowing yourself time to relax when you can. Your mother is very wise in saying that you should go. Given the doctor's most recent prognosis I would say it's as good a time as any. Good luck and I hope that you decide to go and that you have a great cruise.

• Like 1

Praying for your mom! I’ve had to make that call a few times the last 2 years as my dad’s time could be any day. It’s a difficult decision, but I always remember that my dad gave me my love of travel and cruising. He’d want me to explore the world with my hubby, so I go. Your mom wants you to go, so you shouldn’t feel any guilt about going. It’s good you’ve worked out a plan for how to get home in an emergency. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Prayers are with you.  If your mom says go-then go.  I know you will worry about her, but sometimes letting the care of a loved one be in someone else's hand will allow you some time to care for yourself.  And if you ain't right, you cant make it right for the other ones.

Sorry I didn't get back to you about the Ecstasy,  we had a great time, enjoyed Princess Cay, and take your water shoes.  Oh, and it was HOT on that island in December.  The ship was nice, you know how I love the smaller ships, but it was not my favorite.  However, our favorite hostess from the Fantasy was on the Ecstasy.  LOL! 

Enjoy the break.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys!  We finally made the decision to go ahead and go on our cruise on Friday morning about

10:00.  I hadn't packed a single thing so I took off work at lunch time and went home to pack.  Mom had

dialysis Friday afternoon so we stayed until she was out and went to visit before we started the drive

from north Georgia down to Lake Park, Ga where we spent the night before the cruise.

Mom was released from the hospital on the Sunday we were gone and is doing as well as can be expected.  She is having dialysis 3 times a week which is very hard on an 86 year old but she is and always has been a trooper.  

We did have a good time - and it was much needed rest and relaxation.  I stayed in touch with my daughters

while we were gone so I could keep a check on my Mom and that gave me piece of mind as well.  

Thank you all again for your input and especially your thoughts and prayers!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

Thank you guys!  We finally made the decision to go ahead and go on our cruise on Friday morning about

10:00.  I hadn't packed a single thing so I took off work at lunch time and went home to pack.  Mom had

dialysis Friday afternoon so we stayed until she was out and went to visit before we started the drive

from north Georgia down to Lake Park, Ga where we spent the night before the cruise.

Mom was released from the hospital on the Sunday we were gone and is doing as well as can be expected.  She is having dialysis 3 times a week which is very hard on an 86 year old but she is and always has been a trooper.  

We did have a good time - and it was much needed rest and relaxation.  I stayed in touch with my daughters

while we were gone so I could keep a check on my Mom and that gave me piece of mind as well.  

Thank you all again for your input and especially your thoughts and prayers!

Thanks for the update! I am glad that you decided to go and even happier that you got some much needed down time.