Inside cabin

Jessieasanders

My husband and I have been on a few cruises, but have always done balconies with Norwegian.  

I just booked a cheap deal with MSC for an inside cabin on the Davina on a 3 night cruise.  Short little trip for me and the hubby.

question is ... how does one tell if it is night or day inside? LOL 🙂. I’m now thinking I should try to upgrade to at least a portal cabin so I can see if it is 7 am or 4pm. 🙂 

any times for this newbie MSC cruiser? 

In 25+ plus cruises, we've nearly always sailed in inside cabins.

Bring a click.  Use your cellphone.  The cabin phone usually has a clock.  Use your watch.  Turn on the TV.  Call the desk.  

A few years ago, We cruised with friends.  The wife was a bit claustrophobic.  But he was a 'cheapskate' and they took the inside cabin.  She loved it and now books them regularly.

Mostly, just forget about it.  If you sleep in and miss breakfast, who cares?  Eat more at lunch.  

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

we've nearly always sailed in inside cabins.

Same.  I'm a night owl who is rarely in the room before 3-4am anyway, so the pitch dark in the morning is a benefit to me.

A lot of people really get a lot of use out of a balcony room, but I'm just not one of them. 

Some will say, "once you have a balcony room, you'll always want one" but that doesn't hold true for everyone.   I have sailed in Central Park balconies and also Oceanview balconies (including an extra-large aft balcony), and if you added up all the time I spent on the balcony over the course of a whole week, I'd be surprised if it even totaled an hour.  

Even when I have a balcony of my own, I prefer being out and about on the ship if I'm going to be outdoors.  And if I'm going to be indoors, what does it matter if my room has a balcony?  I'm one of those people who literally uses the room to sleep, shower, and change clothes, and nothing else.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jessieasanders said:

how does one tell if it is night or day inside?

That is the best part of an inside, I am a very light sleeper and the slightest chink of light wakes me.

I love the pitch black and get a great night's sleep with my alarm clock waking me.

I love the extra room space of a balcony room but even when I have had them, I have spent so little time in the cabin it's really not worth it to me.

We had an inside on the Divina last year. It was lovely. Personally, I think most people who use claustophobia as their excuse for a balcony or window cabin don't really have the problem. If you want a balcony, just get one without exaggerating. I always ask these folks, who usually are talking about it in a windowless room, "How do you manage to stay calm in the theater or this room?" 

Bottom line- you'll be fine. Claustrophobia only seems to surface when people who want a balcony book a cruise. 😅 Use the money you will  save  on excursions or another cruise!

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

25+ cruises.  We always do the cheapest cabin required to get the perks we want - which is the alcohol package.  We refuse to sail without one anymore.  In fact, we typically do guarantees.  I'm simply a cheapskate when it comes to lodging and cabins.  We CAN afford it, but it's not something we value.  

We paid extra to  get a balcony ONCE.  On a 9 day cruise of the Norwegian Fjords.  There was some level of daylight for 20-21 hours a day, making the nearby Fjords very visible for 20-21 hours.  The beauty and wonder of seeing that while lying in bed looking out the big balcony window was priceless.   We really didn't sit on the balcony - too cold - and on those (now bygone) occasions where we were upgraded for free to a balcony, it was rarely used.  

sunlight alarm clock. I wouldn't sail in an inside with out it.

this one is very light weight.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sunrise-Simulation-Function-Bedside-Control/dp/B07Y9THJB5/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3NH8DASCYM4GL&keywords=sunlight+alarm+clock&qid=1580402211&sprefix=sunlight+%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-10

The billissima did not have a bridge cam channel, not sure about other MSC ships.