Coronavirus on Costa Smeralda in Civitavecchia?

G.M.T.

Hi all

We were on Smeralda just the week before the corona virus scare. There were a lot of Asians (Chinese, Japanese..) aboard and the only significance of this comment is simply that for everyone who boards a cruise, their route to the port will be very diverse.  Most of us will have had to travel by air/train/car from another country and spent possible a night or two in different places.

The corona virus didn’t  really start making the news until just after we got back home.

I suppose we are all waiting to see how things are going to go regarding protecting people’s safety when travelling be it on a cruise or flying or whatever. Those of us who love cruising will be pocrastinating no doubt. I would be very interested to hear everyone’s thoughts please.

I’ll post my thoughts on the Smeralda a bit later for anyone who may be interested.

Cheers

Bob

I agree it is worrying.

The HAL Westerdam which ports refused to allow to enter does have confirmed cases.

Malaysia Airlines cancels three flights repatriating American cruise ship passengers | New Straits Times | Malaysia General Business Sports and Lifestyle News

Diamond Princess has more cases every day.

I was booked on Celebrity Millennium Tokyo to Vancouver in May 2020 but all Millennium cruises in Asia have been cancelled. That's a relief!

The Costa Fortuna is still in Asia and moving to Europe on March 19th.  I wonder if that will be the next one on quarantine.

Edited by maryann2

Hi

Tenpin & Maryann, thanks for your thoughts here. Plan B, sorry, no I haven’t posted my views re. Smeralda yet but will do so in next couple of days or soon as possible.

This situation re.coronavirus is very concerning for all of us cruisers. I would certainly not be planning any cruises to the Far East right now even if there were many taking place. We already have several cruises in the pipeline (and various flights booked) so we are just going to try to keep a balanced view on the situation.

I don’t think we will be taking any risks with our health, however, being in that older, more vulnerable age group. Watching the situation on the Diamond Princess has been troubling. Although it seems the crew have been amazing (the Italian Captain sounds like a really good guy) I would most certainly not want to find myself in that position, sounds like a real nightmare. Feel so very sorry for cruisers caught up there and all the crew.

Watching and waiting.......

Friends on the Majestic Princess are losing out on their final week when reaching Perth, yet to be told when they have to leave the ship, but it is not cruising the final part of the cruise to Karla Lumpia 4/5 days at sea.

Flights from Perth are being arranged for them.

4 hours ago, tenpin said:

Friends on the Majestic Princess are losing out on their final week when reaching Perth, yet to be told when they have to leave the ship, but it is not cruising the final part of the cruise to Karla Lumpia 4/5 days at sea.

Flights from Perth are being arranged for them.

So Princess is avoiding Malaysia. I wonder how long it will take for Costa to do the same.

Going off slightly at a tangent here but I am slightly bewildered by the handling of the quarantine on the Diamond Princess. Doesn’t seem to have been done very well given the huge hike in numbers testing positive for the coronavirus.
The negative tested Brits have just got back to the U.K. but has anyone heard anything concrete about the other Brits that were on board originally? A day or two ago the media were saying that 70 plus were due to get on the repatriation flight but all of a sudden there is no mention of them.

I know of at least one couple, David & Sally Abel, who have contracted the virus and are in some sort of isolation place. Doesn’t sound great at all.

My justification for mentioning this here, apart from wanting your input and thoughts, is my own continuing doubts about taking further cruises this year in any part of the world. 

Hi 

I think I heard some of the 70 Brits (on Diamond Princess) were crew. Might be that Princess did not allow them to leave due to contracts.

Though my DH is very worried about the virus and also the current issue in Northern Italy, I am not too fussed. I am exposed to viruses and bacteria daily at work. I am probably more likely to be exposed there than on the ship because people just simply do not listen to the advice about staying at home when you are symptomatic. 

It is a bit like not travelling due to terror attacks. Whilst I am not about to take silly risks, life has to go on.

Flying to Milan next Friday, boarding Smerelda on saturday.

Riana

Riana, didn’t think about that! Thank you, there were around 1,000 or so crew and you are probably right and that would explain the difference to the numbers given although the reporter on Breakfast TV BBC this morning could not answer the question from the interviewer in the studio.

You and MaryAnn are quite right, need to get things in proportion while not being stupid about taking risks. Thanks to you both.

I just wonder how many of us would admit to having a cold or feeling unwell leading up to a cruise when they ask.

By saying yes would they then not let us board, & repay full expense's for hotels, I was on the Sea Princess in 2002 when the nero-virus struck, in MDR no salt or pepper, bread rolls etc was on tables waiters did it for you.

They did a deep clean before letting any new passengers board in Southampton.,

My friends are staying in Perth then flying home from there they have been told to expect some refund. 

Yes, you make a good point there. However, don’t you think that this is a very serious situation and that people will be more responsible as this develops further?
I’ve heard that airports in Italy have already started taking people’s temperatures on arrival in and near these latest clusters of outbreaks there but I don’t know if this is accurate or not.

Surely at cruise terminals this will have to start before anyone is allowed to proceed to embark? It is surely worth the extra time it would take and indeed the extra cost involved  to avoid a repeat if the horrendous Diamond Princess situation?

Hope your friends get fair compensation.

According to the Costa Press on their site they are checking passengers temperatures with a scanner as they board. It did not seem only for far East but all cruises. They also have a lower temperature threshold than MSC for example. Costa is something like 37.8 and MSC 38. 

Most doctors would not consider a patient to "run a temperature" unless 38 or higher. 

I am quite worried about our upcoming cruise and the Milan situation. Venice is in lock down now.

I will start a thread later to let people know how things are going.

Riana

16 minutes ago, alicat58 said:

According to the Costa Press on their site they are checking passengers temperatures with a scanner as they board. It did not seem only for far East but all cruises. They also have a lower temperature threshold than MSC for example. Costa is something like 37.8 and MSC 38. 

Most doctors would not consider a patient to "run a temperature" unless 38 or higher. 

I am quite worried about our upcoming cruise and the Milan situation. Venice is in lock down now.

I will start a thread later to let people know how things are going.

Riana

My family live just north of Milan, and we are getting updates from them last count 132 infected.  Shelves  in supermarkets quickly emptying.  No hand sanitizer left in shops.  My niece is a nurse in a large hospital in Como and they are all on alert.  The Venice carnival has been suspended and all football matches are now canceled in the region. Uni in Milan closed and exams dates moved my BIL is a lecturer there.  Some towns now have road blocks and permission required to come or go. Austria is now looking at closing the road boarder with Italy as one case is only a few Km away.

If they are going to this effort I would expect that the government will be assessing the risk of allowing ships to roam from port to port in Italy especially as there is a case inland 1/2 way between Genoa and Savona.

20 hours ago, alicat58 said:

It is a bit like not travelling due to terror attacks.

I agree with that analogy.

I limited my air travel in the months after 9/11 not because of a fear of my plane being hyjacked but because of the associated difficulties of flying (for a time you were required to check your laptops, a coworker had hers stolen.  Became a real issue as airlines mandated they be checked but company policy forbid it)   I did travel some but only when absolutely necessary until things got straightened out.

I am not going to cruise until things get straightened out.  Not out of fear of the disease itself. But because of the associated hassles of canceled cruises, missed ports, quarantines etc, there are other vacation options that are less likely to be stress inducing.

Yes I do hope that passengers will be responsible & not travel if they are unwell.

While I do agree that the British Government should have looked after those affected more, but not by bringing them home, stay in isolation until the all clear, containing the virus if at all possible.

I suffer from COPD (Breathing) yet when the nurse came to see my this week, she was coughing.

Hi All

Cancelled Milan and booked flights to Nice instead. Waiting for a public announcement on UK TV at 12.30 to see whether they are advising no travel to Italy.  If that is the case I'll have a week off work at home. Will be very disappointed but though I feel you cannot live your live in a sterile bubble, I'll have to accept that.

Bob, I have the wipes and got a little bottle of hand sanitiser today. I am a great believer in soap and water because science tells us it works better. I hope the public restroom doors on Smerelda is touch free like the other ships.

I will start a new thread later.

Riana

Hi Riana 

Yes, from memory the restroom doors are the same touch free as all the other ships we’ve been on. I agree about soap and water being preferable if you can get to it. 
I feel certain the sanitation and enforcing of hand sanitising etc. will  have been stepped up so it should be better than usual!

There are no tablecloths anywhere on the Smeralda so apart from the Club restaurant (you may will be in the Bellavista) or the equivalent, you may want to wipe down any surfaces yourself before use.

I have seen your new thread so will follow you there. Best of luck with everything and fingers crossed all goes well and you have a lovely cruise.

Take care. Ciao

Bob