Coronavirus on Costa Smeralda in Civitavecchia?

G.M.T.

The Costa Venezia which sailing Chinese cruises is be held in the Chinese port of Shenzhen with a suspected coronavirus case onboard, also 148 passengers from Wuahan (where the outbreak first occured) are being isolated for more medical checks.

Must be some cheap Chinese cruises going.☠️🙊⚕️

20 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Is the whole ship on lockdown as in every passenger in the cabin or just suspected infected passengers with enhanced cleaning of the ship?

No, there are lots of pictures in the British press of passengers all over the ship. They say results of tests should be ready in a few hours. They report there are 751 Chinese onboard.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10853820/coronavirus-passengers-cruise-ship-chinese-couple/

Also concerning given these Chinese passengers no doubt got off at all the ports and took tours etc. plus of course flew there...this was the last day of the cruise and if those tests come back positive those passengers might be stuck for 14 days which is incubation period. What a mess. If only the Wuhan authorities would have taken serious steps early on...the first cases were early Dec.

7 minutes ago, dethman said:

I'm sure it's everywhere, cruises, planes, trains given how connected the world is now. 

So what's the cancellation policy for Costa anyway?  I have a cruise booked for March 😁🤔😮

Check your travel insurance policy.

Costa's cancellation policy varies according to where you or your TA bookedthe cruise.

20 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Also concerning given these Chinese passengers no doubt got off at all the ports and took tours etc. plus of course flew there...this was the last day of the cruise and if those tests come back positive those passengers might be stuck for 14 days which is incubation period. What a mess. If only the Wuhan authorities would have taken serious steps early on...the first cases were early Dec.

There is no start or end to the Smeralda cruises, they are a 7 day loop (going round and round and round). Passengers can embark and disembark in Savona,  Rome ( Civitavecchia ), Mallorca, Barcelona or Marseilles.

I was on Smeralda last week and we actually joked about the possibility because of the large number of Chinese passengers on board and the large number of passengers with sniffles.

We disembarked in Barcelona on Monday and have both been ill since returning home - NHS 111 don't seem particularly concerned though. 

• Like 1

i tend to agree with ace above and probably most cruisers are not even thinking their cruise in the med has anything to do with this corona epidemic. It is not just Costa but there are many more cruises that actually call at ports in China....a real  mess.

17 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Chinese are traveling in record numbers to the entire world...I sure would not want to be on those flights or any other transportation where their large groups are. It is all concerning for the next few months.

There was a flight from (originated) China that was taking on passengers in Japan I think it was. On-boarding passengers held a revolt and refused to board after a couple of the Chinese were sick and wearing masks.

27 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

There was a flight from (originated) China that was taking on passengers in Japan I think it was. On-boarding passengers held a revolt and refused to board after a couple of the Chinese were sick and wearing masks.

can you blame them???? That is another big problem some of these passengers are connection in Europe or other places and then enter third country with little to no screening. Flights are still going from most cities in China (not all) so what do you do?

1 hour ago, MK_Cruiser1955 said:

I was on Smeralda last week and we actually joked about the possibility because of the large number of Chinese passengers on board and the large number of passengers with sniffles.

We disembarked in Barcelona on Monday and have both been ill since returning home - NHS 111 don't seem particularly concerned though. 

That is one of my worries, how any potential patients will be dealt with here, action needs to be fast.  I would phone back and re-emphasis that you were on a cruise with many Chinese nationals and that the cruise was the one now in quarantine to see if you get a different response.  I am always wary of NHS 111.  I was told I had flu during the last outbreak.  3 days later went to out of hrs on Jab 1st 2018 - still flue - 2 days more then to my own GP as I could hardly stand up- next stop straight to intensive care I had Leukemia - if I hadn't of gone to my own GP and instead had listened to NHS 111 and  the out of hrs GP I would not  have survived a further 24 hrs as had no white cells or platelets left

Actually the first test has been negative and the health authorities had cleared the ship. Anyway the mayor of Civitavecchia has opposed and insists on a second test.

So the 1,142 disembarking passengers are still onboard while 1,112 embarking passengers are waiting in the terminal building.

steamboats

fragilek the trouble with 111 is they are limited by their algorithms and they have to follow what their scripting says, so I wasn't expecting too much from them to be honest.

Luckily I work in the medical sector so am able to monitor our symptoms and numbers - trust me if they get anything outside those of a normal common cold I'll be getting things sorted 🙂  

We are self-isolating as well - at least until there is an official "all clear" from the ship

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Actually the first test has been negative and the health authorities had cleared the ship. Anyway the mayor of Civitavecchia has opposed and insists on a second test.

So the 1,142 disembarking passengers are still onboard while 1,112 embarking passengers are waiting in the terminal building.

steamboats

How awful for the passengers waiting to board! I hope they are being looked after. 
We once waited  over 8 hours in and outside a terminal in Copenhagen while awaiting to board a NCL ship. There was no help for people who were standing for all those hours. Some were in a pretty bad way. No refreshments for 6 hours either and even they were not made available to all. I hope Costa look after them.

the smart ones have masks on and are sitting outside...there are photos of others crammed in public areas etc. and I would avoid that. I am guessing they have been asked to vacate their cabins so they can start cleaning them..of course if a positive result is found doubt if anyone is leaving.  I guess I don't blame the Italian officials...not sure who administered the first test but the cruise line has every incentive to keep things moving ...every minute is costing them $$$!

• Like 1

I was on two ships in the Med this past Nov and Dec.  It was COLD outside then, and I'm sure it is too cold to be out there for very long in January. The pools and outside areas were hardly used. One ship had 2,000 Chinese and the other not many at all.  

BTW- the ship is still in port according to the satellite view.

Edited by Markanddonna