River Cruises

coevan

42 minutes ago, coevan said:

Why is only Ama listed in your river cruises? Is there a forum for Viking? I can't find one

All river cruises are in the River Cruising forum. The subforum you see for Ama is a sponsored forum, which is probably temporary.

For roll calls, there is a forum for Viking River Cruises https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/851-viking-river-roll-calls/ as well as one for all other river cruise lines https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/546-all-other-river-cruise-roll-calls/

The point is that while a large number of new visitors to this forum only know about Viking [because of their huge advertising budget], there are many river cruise lines to choose from.  By keeping them all together, Cruise Critic helps educate new cruisers to the range of possibilities.

Also, river cruising is 180 degrees different from ocean cruising, so all river cruises are more alike than any river cruise is to an ocean cruise.  Past cruisers coming from the ocean arm of various companies will find much in common to ask about and learn from cruisers on other river cruise lines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2020 at 9:42 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

The point is that while a large number of new visitors to this forum only know about Viking [because of their huge advertising budget], there are many river cruise lines to choose from.  By keeping them all together, Cruise Critic helps educate new cruisers to the range of possibilities.

Also, river cruising is 180 degrees different from ocean cruising, so all river cruises are more alike than any river cruise is to an ocean cruise.  Past cruisers coming from the ocean arm of various companies will find much in common to ask about and learn from cruisers on other river cruise lines.

We always compare itinerary and price before booking any river cruise.   We have taken one AMA and three Vantage World Travel.  Now we are looking at Gate 1, since I have talked to several persons that loved Gate 1, which had great prices.

Research the cruise you want, then compare the options, Scenic, Viking, Vantage World Travel, Uniworld, Avalon, AMA and more.

I always try to do a spread sheet.  I come up with a way to rate (also examine reviews) quality.  Look at what is included in the price and how much per day the cruise cost.  Viking's brochure got us interested in river cruising, but they have never been the best deal.  They are a good cruise line and worth looking into, but it is best to compare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We always compare itinerary and price before booking any river cruise.   We have taken one AMA and three Vantage World Travel.  Now we are looking at Gate 1, since I have talked to several persons that loved Gate 1, which had great prices.

Research the cruise you want, then compare the options, Scenic, Viking, Vantage World Travel, Uniworld, Avalon, AMA and more.

I always try to do a spread sheet.  I come up with a way to rate (also examine reviews) quality.  Look at what is included in the price and how much per day the cruise cost.  Viking's brochure got us interested in river cruising, but they have never been the best deal.  They are a good cruise line and worth looking into, but it is best to compare.

I have taken 2 Gate1 River cruises and 1 Viking and will be on my 2nd Viking River Cruise this March (Rhine River from Amsterdam to Basel). I found the Gate1 River Cruises (December, 2019 Danube Christmas Markets, and 2016 Budapest to Prague) to be every bit as good as the Viking (2019 Lyon to Avignon). Most of the cruises stop in the same ports, and ships often tie up together at the same dock. Viking advertises that an excursion is included in every port, which is true, and it’s often a walking tour of the town. Gate 1's stops often included that as well. Both offer additional excursions for an added cost  in most ports. Both ships were very nice, with the cabin on Viking being a bit of a step up from Gate1, at least on the two ships I've been on. I found the meals comparable, with Gate1 getting my vote for Far better arrangement of the buffet. Gate1 offers ordering off the menu at each meal in addition to the buffet. Both have included beer and wine at dinner, and Viking offers it at lunch as well (lesson learned: it's only included if you order the house wine,) 

We have also cruised with Gate 1 and found them great - comparable to Viking but more economical. We have cruised with Gate 1, Viking & Uniworld and enjoyed each cruise. We choose our european river cruises for the ports visited & then compare prices/amenities - there are many lines from which to choose.

4 hours ago, Sacramento2012 said:

I have taken 2 Gate1 River cruises and 1 Viking and will be on my 2nd Viking River Cruise this March (Rhine River from Amsterdam to Basel). I found the Gate1 River Cruises (December, 2019 Danube Christmas Markets, and 2016 Budapest to Prague) to be every bit as good as the Viking (2019 Lyon to Avignon). Most of the cruises stop in the same ports, and ships often tie up together at the same dock. Viking advertises that an excursion is included in every port, which is true, and it’s often a walking tour of the town. Gate 1's stops often included that as well. Both offer additional excursions for an added cost  in most ports. Both ships were very nice, with the cabin on Viking being a bit of a step up from Gate1, at least on the two ships I've been on. I found the meals comparable, with Gate1 getting my vote for Far better arrangement of the buffet. Gate1 offers ordering off the menu at each meal in addition to the buffet. Both have included beer and wine at dinner, and Viking offers it at lunch as well (lesson learned: it's only included if you order the house wine,) 

Thanks for the information.   We are looking at booking a tour of Israel and Jordan for next year.  Price is excellent and tours look good.  Have to check the hotels, since they seem to use more than one hotel at some of their locations like Jerusalem.  Some of their tours have few optional tours (tours are mostly included in the price) and those are more, but still very reasonable.  Not sure if we have any more river cruises to take, we loved the Douro in Portugal and Rhone/Saone in SE France.  We lived in Germany for four years and most of the central European cruises are to places we have seen.  Still, we may do the Budapest to Romania cruise one day.