Important - Corona Virus precaution - Medication

ghstudio

6 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Does anyone know if the 10 people positive for corona on the Diamond Princess were B2B?  I understand patient 0 got off in HK

I believe he was a passenger on this cruise ending in Japan.  He was ill and disembarked in HK.

34 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Mandarin oranges don’t necessarily come from China. We grow them in orchards in Australia. 

I'm speaking about canned mandarin oranges.  Every single can of them that I've seen in California is "product of China". 

The cake recipe uses a can with the juice. 

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

I'm speaking about canned mandarin oranges.  Every single can of them that I've seen in California is "product of China". 

Fair enough. We have a canning factory in Australia. It’s disappointing as I’d thought California would have optimum conditions for growing all types of citrus. 

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Off topic for short post.  Refrigerated Del Monte mandarin oranges in the produce section and Trader Joe's brand are not from China.  So, hopefully you can make your cake.  Sounds delicious.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, morfred said:

I would like to make another suggestion. Take enough medication for THREE weeks in case the virus is not found until near the END of the cruise. In that case you would still need days 14 worth. We are sailing in 3 weeks and I am already planning on 3 weeks worth. 

That is a good point. I hadn't thought about it that way. We are cruising very soon. I had planned to take two weeks meds, but now I think I'll take a month's supply for this ten night cruise...just in case of a worst case scenario. Thank you for your advice.

3 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

brand

3 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Off topic for short post.  Refrigerated Del Monte mandarin oranges in the produce section and Trader Joe's brand are not from China.  So, hopefully you can make your cake.  Sounds delicious.

I’ll check Trader Joe’s. Thanks

6 hours ago, pukekolive said:

David Abel on Diamond Princess has confirmed that Princess Cruises have announced on board that they will fill all prescriptions free if charge for passengers running low on prescribed meds.

Thank you for this information.

I was very sure that the cruise line/Govenment's would make this type of arrangement, not filled at no charge but arrange for meds to be filled, as they could not expect many passengers to leave home with a full months supply for only a ten to 12 day sailing...

At any rate, those who have very specialized med regimens, I would let the cruise line know in advance just in case, especially those with expensive co-pays or none. That way no one is scrambling to figure out how quickly they can get them or a good substitute.

In health and bon voyage

23 hours ago, ghstudio said:

While no one knows how the Corona virus will progress, it would be prudent to take enough extra medication/drugs to last at least 14 days after your planned cruise/travel return home....just in case you find yourself in a quarantine situation.  Very unlikely this will happen to you....but it I'd suggest that it's "better safe than sorry".

NOTE: THIS SHOULD BE A STICKY ON ALL CRUISE BOARDS

I hadn't thought that far ahead (despite leaving next week). I did order extra medicine yesterday which I hope I will be able to pick up before we fly. 

I actually made a mess of what I took on our last cruise. I have one med that I take twice a day but I only took enough for one a day. I did not feel well the last day of the cruise. Never again.

For anyone traveling with meds, bring the original bottles (and better is meds IN the bottle), especially crossing a border. That way it is easy for the pills to be identified in the unlikely event you get stopped. Fun fact, some Rx meds in the US could land you in jail ex-US, for example Ritalin in Thailand and Adderall in Japan.

Travel insurance is is a great safety blanket. In a pinch you can get a new RX and either get it filled locally/regionally or can get something filled and airmailed to you anywhere in the world. It isn't cheap to do this, but it happens all the time. Most common stuff I'm sure the cruise line can source in port too if needed. Japan has one of the largest pharma markets in the world (prob #2 on a per country basis after US).

Heck, i pick up scripts for my wife all the time. A friend with your address & birthdate could pick up a script and airmail it to the port agent for that matter, just need to make sure you do the customs forms. 

But yes, bringing some extra meds is good advice - esp if it is a life or death med. Also keeping a few packaged snacks and some extra water never hurts. I wouldn't go overboard though and stack cases of water in your room though.  I bet hoarding is contributing to some of the shortages on Diamond now. 

Edited by jb008

I always bring extra meds on any trip - you are far more likely to be delayed by weather or mechanical issues (or even your own isolated illness or injury) than a full ship quarantine.  I'm still not sure what happens after two weeks on the Diamond if there are new cases in the interim - does the 14 days become a rolling target until there are 14 days of no new cases?

Just curious if people plan to stockpile water and other provisions in their cabin on a cruise not going to the Far East?

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

I always bring extra meds on any trip - you are far more likely to be delayed by weather or mechanical issues (or even your own isolated illness or injury) than a full ship quarantine.  I'm still not sure what happens after two weeks on the Diamond if there are new cases in the interim - does the 14 days become a rolling target until there are 14 days of no new cases?

Just curious if people plan to stockpile water and other provisions in their cabin on a cruise not going to the Far East?

I'd say it's unlikely to exceed 14 days, at least for Diamond.  From accounts online, they're holding pax in quarantine on board, so the 14 day period is making sure they can identify and continue to isolate anyone who is infected but not yet symptomatic ("latent period" of the infection).  At the end of the quarantine as long as your cabin is still asymptomatic the assumption is that none of you are infectious and are safe to reenter the general population.  [caveat, I'm not a public health/epidemiologist expert just a MS-level dabbler]

The crazy part, think about if we didn't have fairly rapid tests to determine if it's nCoV vs other illnesses... if we couldn't diagnose they'd have to quarantine much more aggressively.  Mind boggling! 

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

i always wondered if the bubble wrap made in china has the germs from china

Fair question! https://www.kcur.org/post/no-you-wont-catch-new-coronavirus-packages-or-mail-china

Highly unlikely.  It all depends on the bacteria or virus, and survivability of the infectious agent.  Virus is general tend to be pretty fragile on surfaces.  I wouldn't go and eat packaging materials but that's not something I'd worry about.  I'm more worried about how dirty a package surface is in general... which is why I don't like placing incoming mail or boxes on a kitchen table.

Foods are made based on good practices for production and packaging, so I see no cause for concern of disease transmission based on food products.  Obviously there are rare exceptions, but this is part of why FDA and USDA funding is so important as they help protect our food supply and our safety!

38 minutes ago, jb008 said:

Fair question! https://www.kcur.org/post/no-you-wont-catch-new-coronavirus-packages-or-mail-china

Highly unlikely.  It all depends on the bacteria or virus, and survivability of the infectious agent.  Virus is general tend to be pretty fragile on surfaces.  I wouldn't go and eat packaging materials but that's not something I'd worry about.  I'm more worried about how dirty a package surface is in general... which is why I don't like placing incoming mail or boxes on a kitchen table.

Foods are made based on good practices for production and packaging, so I see no cause for concern of disease transmission based on food products.  Obviously there are rare exceptions, but this is part of why FDA and USDA funding is so important as they help protect our food supply and our safety!

darn so my evil plan to infect the air in bubble wrap would fail (which is probably why no terrorists havent done it ever)

1 hour ago, jb008 said:

I'd say it's unlikely to exceed 14 days, at least for Diamond.  From accounts online, they're holding pax in quarantine on board, so the 14 day period is making sure they can identify and continue to isolate anyone who is infected but not yet symptomatic ("latent period" of the infection). 

Imagine the people  who booked inside cabins. No daylight for 2 weeks. UGH. I told my husband there will be either babies born 9 months from now... or divorces 9 weeks from now. There isn't anyone I'd want to be in a closet with for 14 days. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

Imagine the people  who booked inside cabins. No daylight for 2 weeks. UGH. I told my husband there will be either babies born 9 months from now... or divorces 9 weeks from now. There isn't anyone I'd want to be in a closet with for 14 days. 

According to a BBC report, those booked into inside cabins are permitted 90 minutes a day on deck under medical supervision.

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jb008 said:

I'd say it's unlikely to exceed 14 days, at least for Diamond.  From accounts online, they're holding pax in quarantine on board, so the 14 day period is making sure they can identify and continue to isolate anyone who is infected but not yet symptomatic ("latent period" of the infection).  At the end of the quarantine as long as your cabin is still asymptomatic the assumption is that none of you are infectious and are safe to reenter the general population.  [caveat, I'm not a public health/epidemiologist expert just a MS-level dabbler]

The crazy part, think about if we didn't have fairly rapid tests to determine if it's nCoV vs other illnesses... if we couldn't diagnose they'd have to quarantine much more aggressively.  Mind boggling! 

Yes, that’s in theory. However Japan will be incredibly protective of their population and I can’t imagine at the end of 14 days, the doors will be opened with welcoming arms. I wonder if they will immediately transported to airlines in protective transport and flown home direct from the ship. 

4 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

there is one family of four with two teenagers in bunk beds in an inside cabin. Linens are not being changed nor are the towels. No cleaning services at all and no cleaning products provided. I cannot even bear to think about that. 

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

there is one family of four with two teenagers in bunk beds in an inside cabin. Linens are not being changed nor are the towels. No cleaning services at all and no cleaning products provided. I cannot even bear to think about that. 

That really sounds horrible.  If prisoners were treated that way, it would probably be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

3 minutes ago, actuarian said:

That really sounds horrible.  If prisoners were treated that way, it would probably be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Yes. It’s interesting that. 

Australia currently is in the process of Quarantining Australian citizens who were extracted last week from Wuhan by the Govt. It is on Christmas Island where illegal immigrants were processed for refugee status. Look, it’s not great but they are safe, being fed, they have clean linens etc and can walk around in the fresh air. Yet there are some elements in our society who think that these conditions are appalling yada yada. And one TV station in particular is going to great depths to discredit this process. They know at the end of 14 days they will be free to come to Australia and the Government will fly them here. 

Do you know what the chief complaint is? Slow internet. And one person saw a cockroach. Give me strength. This sound like a party compared with what is happening on the Diamond. We sailed on Diamond at this time 2 years ago out of Singapore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yes, that’s in theory. However Japan will be incredibly protective of their population and I can’t imagine at the end of 14 days, the doors will be opened with welcoming arms. I wonder if they will immediately transported to airlines in protective transport and flown home direct from the ship. 

Since the ship does not fly the Japanese flag, I believe that international law would allow them to disembark the passengers who are Japanese citizens and then provision the ship and order it to leave.

Just now, actuarian said:

Since the ship does not fly the Japanese flag, I believe that international law would allow them to disembark the passengers who are Japanese citizens and then provision the ship and order it to leave.

Ah, so you think that non citizens will have to stay onboard and find somewhere else to Port? Gosh, who would do that now? 

1 hour ago, actuarian said:

Seems to me if they didn't intend to allow them passage through Japan after the quarantine they would have sent the ship out of their waters. Why let it stay there, providing support, if they intended to say "go" in 2 weeks?