How many ships at a particular port?

das1e

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone can tell me how to find out how many ships will be at a port on any given day?  In the forums I keep reading posts where the person says they know 3 ships will be in port and they ask if that will make a certain beach crowded?  I want to know how to find this information for our cruise ports.

Thanks!

Edited by das1e

3 minutes ago, das1e said:

I'll try that because the cruisetoports app didn't work for my dates nor ports.  The data for my cruise must not be loaded yet.

Many ports publish schedules, so as mentioned above finding the ports website tends to be the most reliable method.  Some of these other sites are useful, but there are errors and omissions.

• Like 1

I would largely place this kind topic under the unnecessary cruise stress topics. Sure there are a few ports that this can make a difference, but it is overstated. I've been to a port with 6 ships before, and you would have never known.

It is also possible that an extra ship is added or subtracted because of various reasons. Just do yourself a favor and distance yourself from most things people tell you to worry about on a cruise.

2 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I would largely place this kind topic under the unnecessary cruise stress topics. Sure there are a few ports that this can make a difference, but it is overstated. I've been to a port with 6 ships before, and you would have never known.

It is also possible that an extra ship is added or subtracted because of various reasons. Just do yourself a favor and distance yourself from most things people tell you to worry about on a cruise.

If you have ever experienced a port under different conditions - one where you were on the only ship in - carrying perhaps 1,000, and the other where you were one of 25,000 (or more) passengers from six or more mega-ships — you would understand the difference.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you have ever experienced a port under different conditions - one where you were on the only ship in - carrying perhaps 1,000, and the other where you were one of 25,000 (or more) passengers from six or more mega-ships — you would understand the difference.

I get it. A lot of people want to feel all exclusive and care about what is going on around them more than what enjoyment they can have.

Like I said, I know there are times when this can have value. There are some ports that can't handle it. Overall, it still induces more panic than necessary. Suddenly, people start freaking out because 2 ships (of 2,000 passenger each) is much more than 1 ship (with 5,000) passengers.

Just now, Joebucks said:

I get it. A lot of people want to feel all exclusive and care about what is going on around them more than what enjoyment they can have.

“What is going on” has an enormous impact on ability to enjoy a cruise port.  Being (unavoidably) part of a mob making it difficult to see what is there, or even to move around - which often happens in small ports overwhelmed by cruise passengers - has nothing to do with wanting to “feel all exclusive” — it makes it difficult to feel anything beyond being crowded.

• Like 1

I would say those sites are also not terribly accurate.  I was just checking on the ports for our upcoming cruise in 2 weeks and our itinerary is not correct as it got rescheduled after the initial itinerary was released.  It's likely that has happened with other ships as well!  

Expect it will be busy and then you will be pleasantly surprised if it is not!

• Like 1

Thank you all so much.  I will try a couple of different sites.  I did find that when we are in Cozumel there are 6 total ships in port.  We are the last of the 6 to dock, at 10:30.  So that may make a difference for us if we go to Mr. Sanchos, as we had planned, even if we have a reservation.  I'm trying to find out how many people they let in for the day.

18 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It depends on the port and the size of the ships.  If the WindStar, SeaDream, Hebridean Princess, Orion, Crystal Esprit, and Liberty Clipper all were in port together at Santorini, you wouldn't even notice other than to think, "What beautiful vessels!"  Total load would be under 500 or so people.   If the largest RCL, NCL, MSC, CCL, Pullmantour, and Aida ships were all in Santorini at the same time, they wouldn't even be able to get everyone off in a single day, let alone up the hill.  They would be double the entire population of Santorini!

As ships get larger and larger, the number of the mega-ships in port will absolutely affect the experience.

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

As ships get larger and larger, the number of the mega-ships in port will absolutely affect the experience.

And, in many of the most worthwhile ports, not just “affect” - but utterly destroy them.

St. Barth’s, for example, has applied wise discretion in permitting cruise ships to call at all. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And, in many of the most worthwhile ports, not just “affect” - but utterly destroy them.

St. Barth’s, for example, has applied wise discretion in permitting cruise ships to call at all. 

I agree.  St. Barth's is a great example of what ports can do to prevent the overrun of tourists.  Restrict visits to small ships with limited capacities, and I believe has one of the highest per head port charges in the world.

If only all ports would do this.