Coronaviris Possibility on Cruise Ship -- Too Close to Home

Greenpea2

New/rapid screen test(s) aside, definitive test results from specimens collected & sent to CDC take 3 days on average to complete.  First 3 suspected shore-side cases in NYC all came back negative on travelers with recent China visits, probably the seasonal influenza. 

What do we think NJ authorities or CDC should do, quarantine the entire ship, crew & passengers onboard moored at Cape Liberty for 14 days ... out of an abudnance of precaution. 

From now on, cruiseline is going to insist on submitting a full travel history for the last 30 days and checking that against one's passport and/or travel documents, with TSA running their databases ... surely, that's going to be fund with "enhanced" pier check-in & extra screening.  Folks, remember the digitized remote IR body temperature scan from the cousin SARS era.  

31 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

New/rapid screen test(s) aside, definitive test results from specimens collected & sent to CDC take 3 days on average to complete.  First 3 suspected shore-side cases in NYC all came back negative on travelers with recent China visits, probably the seasonal influenza. 

What do we think NJ authorities or CDC should do, quarantine the entire ship, crew & passengers onboard moored at Cape Liberty for 14 days ... out of an abudnance of precaution. 

From now on, cruiseline is going to insist on submitting a full travel history for the last 30 days and checking that against one's passport and/or travel documents, with TSA running their databases ... surely, that's going to be fund with "enhanced" pier check-in & extra screening.  Folks, remember the digitized remote IR body temperature scan from the cousin SARS era.  

You can get around the travel document thing if you have dual citizenship. We do it all the time. When we travel in and out of the US we use our US passports, and skip the lines. When we travel in and out of UK/Australia/Canada we use our other passports and skip their lines. 

My wife was asked for her passport in Brisbane, and she pulled eight passports out and started going through them. There were four of us with two each. The Immigration dude nearly had a heart attack. She literally had a wadd of passports an inch thick in her hand. I don't think at that time he knew the rest of us were behind her.

So anyway, you leave China on one passport to go to say, the Philippines, and then you travel on from there on your other passport. Clean. Unless you confess or they find your other passport you are home free. 

1 hour ago, CroozFanatic said:

Royal just banned all Chinese, Hong Kong, and Macau passport holders from boarding any of its vessels.

Me thinks Royal knows more than they are saying.  Someone is going to test positive. Hope I'm wrong.

Not necessarily.  Even without someone testing positive, this is a huge PR hit.  Some people are going to be reluctant to book a cruise right now due to this story.  Those that do cruise are going to go into panic mode every time someone that looks Chinese coughs.  

I was very surprised to find out they let Chinese national that traveled from mainland China to board the ship.  

12 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Not necessarily.  Even without someone testing positive, this is a huge PR hit.  Some people are going to be reluctant to book a cruise right now due to this story.  Those that do cruise are going to go into panic mode every time someone that looks Chinese coughs.  

I was very surprised to find out they let Chinese national that traveled from mainland China to board the ship.  

Restrictions may not have been in place at the time of the boarding.

As far as people panicking at an Asian person coughing....I just canceled my pre-cruise facial because the aestotician is Chinese.  I'd rather be safe than politically correct.

• Like 1

We are headed out in two weeks. Have been looking forward to this for almost a year. I am going for sure unless they cancel on me. Maybe I'll try and be cautious where i go and what I do or if I even eat at the buffet will see. We can only do the best we can and can't control what happens around us.

This entire illness is very very unfortunate and I do feel sad for many. And I will feel sorry for those people who will be gathering extra looks during the cruise. 

If I get sick and die I'm gonna be pissed. Life goes on.

We board tomorrow for 2 seven day B2B cruises on the same ship. I think I will be taking a break from cruising for a while after this. These next week's will be interesting, but I am approaching it with a positive outlook. There are some things I am not doing: the hot tubs and probably very little time at the buffet unless they do staff serve.

We just got off the  NCL Jade on Thursday. There was no self service in the buffet nor menus in any bar or restaurant. Paper copies of menu were handed out in restaurants and I’m assuming destroyed after use. A plastic film was over all lift buttons for easy cleaning and hand sanitizer was compulsory. In buffet you had to wash your hands with soap and water also. Temperature was taken every time you left and returned to ship. Now in Singapore and flying home tonight. Hardly anyone wearing masks here unlike Hong Kong. Unusually quiet due to lack of Chinese tourists. Apparently room occupancy down 50% or more in some hotels. I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise and time in Hong Kong  and Singapore and didn’t let what’s going on spoil my enjoyment. 

• Like 1

Thank you Edinburghgirl!  I am scheduled for the 20 day on Jade starting on 2/27.  I am wondering if they will cancel the 2/10 and/or 2/17 cruises.  Quite a mess!  But thank you for your report.  Safe travels home!