Concerned about upcoming Harmony cruise...anyone else?

minnie00

due to the Corona virus....all the news stresses me out because....I am mainly concerned about interruptions, delays, closures, and quarantines....we are not traveling for 22 more days...but this just keeps getting more hype. Just the fact that airports and ships are germ hubs...and there are possibilities of something happening.  Its the waiting till the last minute or being in Florida after flying all day to only find out that there is a change or cancellation is stressful. 

Our Sept cruise was changed to being 3 days with FCC due to Dorian. We sat in Orlando...did Disney...waiting for updates...finally did a 3 day cruise. Yes We CHOSE to go ahead and fly there and wait to see what happened but not gung ho to do it again.....that is all. THIS is the replacement cruise too lol

just don't want to deal with similar stress of waiting again...but then RCCL doesn't give us much choice until right before...airlines either

ok that was my vent 

• Like 1

I cruise on Harmony in a week and although I’m keeping a close eye on everything I’m not worried. Follow their guidelines to stay healthy, wash your hands, I only use my bathroom in my cabin, I don’t use handrails and if I do I look for the nearest sanitation station which is everywhere. I don’t touch elevator buttons (use my elbows) and to be honest every time I walk by hand sanitizer I do a quick squirt. Already told my kiddo that I’m going to be extra motherly this trip about washing and sanitizing.

I travel a lot for work and am that person who wipes down airplane trays, arm rests, video screens. 🙂 

• Like 7

Harmony has a washy washy room at the entrance to the buffet.  Someone is at the entrance of the dining rooms with a squirt bottle for every meal.  Just because you are on a ship doesn't mean you will get sick.  If you leave your house, you have a chance of catching someone's virus, no matter where you go.  Wash your hands more than you normally would and keep them away from your face.  And enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, minnie00 said:

THIS is the replacement cruise too lol

Mine as well - this will be our first cruise.  We booked on the Allure for last October but we cancelled 2 weeks out due to my father had fallen suddenly ill and passed 3 days before our cruise date. We made the right decision at the time and decided to try cruising once again. And now, the Corona Virus. Oh well, things happen, but I am staying up to date on it as much as possible.  There are things that you can prepare for and some things that you just can't - that's just life.   

1 hour ago, CruiseWendy said:

Follow their guidelines to stay healthy, wash your hands, I only use my bathroom in my cabin, I don’t use handrails and if I do I look for the nearest sanitation station which is everywhere. I don’t touch elevator buttons (use my elbows) and to be honest every time I walk by hand sanitizer I do a quick squirt. Already told my kiddo that I’m going to be extra motherly this trip about washing and sanitizing.

Good advice.  Will put some of this into practice as well - wasn't aware that they had sanitation stations on the ship. :)

Edited by LoveTheSoul
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, minnie00 said:

Our Sept cruise was changed to being 3 days with FCC due to Dorian.  

We were on the cruise before yours. Our 7-night turned into an 11-night, and we booked the remaining 3-nights while onboard. Taught us a valuable lesson, since we only packed for seven nights and ran out of both clothes and meds. Now we pack meds for double the cruise length and extra clothes for added days as well. We board Harmony on Sunday and while we expect an uneventful cruise, we are prepared for any outcome related to what’s going on.

In the end, all you can do is enjoy whatever hand you’re dealt.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Coronavirus stats.. 24000 infected, 500 deaths... Flu stats.. 26 million infected and this season 10,000 deaths in the US.  Worry about the flu not corona. 

This is what I keep saying.  You should be scared of the flu!!!!

We sail Liberty March 1 and I am thinking the problems will be New York or Miami.  Not many coming from out of the country would want to go to Galveston I don't think.  Anyway, we are watching and listening and still planning on getting on that airplane on Feb. 29.

OK, if I understand correctly, a major part of your worry at the moment is that this might get worse, an outbreak might develop one the cruise before yours, and due to a sick ship, your cruise might be canceled (or delayed or shortened).  If so, maybe you could look at cancellable alternative options in Florida that week.   Are you sailing 3/1?  If so and the ship is delayed a day, you might get to see an overnight rocket launch from the Cape.  Then maybe a rental car and a hotel at or near any one of our lovely beaches (or near one of our many state or nat’l parks).  Or an Orlando hotel near an attraction or two.  There are lots of other things to do, just make sure it is easy to cancel when the ship sails as planned!

33 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We were on the cruise before yours. Our 7-night turned into an 11-night, and we booked the remaining 3-nights while onboard. Taught us a valuable lesson, since we only packed for seven nights and ran out of both clothes and meds. Now we pack meds for double the cruise length and extra clothes for added days as well. We board Harmony on Sunday and while we expect an uneventful cruise, we are prepared for any outcome related to what’s going on.

I have thought about the meds thing since then quite a lot and will double ours as well. 

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

Harmony has a washy washy room at the entrance to the buffet.  Someone is at the entrance of the dining rooms with a squirt bottle for every meal.  Just because you are on a ship doesn't mean you will get sick.  If you leave your house, you have a chance of catching someone's virus, no matter where you go.  Wash your hands more than you normally would and keep them away from your face.  And enjoy your cruise!

we have been on Harmony and are avid hand washers. flu shots done. we are precautious in general. I have some autoimmune issues so am aware. thank you and will do

but I thought this was an airborne virus? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We had a seven day cruise become a 10 day cruise also because of a storm, although not Dorian.  Actually we were on a back to back cruise, so the initial 14 days turned into 17. I packed for eight days anyway. I never have a problem wearing some of my clothes twice and always rinse out some underwear. 

I take some serious medication and always pack a couple of extra days so I was fine.    We had a couple of extra stops in Mexico, and the captain even suggested folks pick up some medications in some of the pharmacies there.  

Extra  clothes, not an issue for me. Extra meds, absolutely!

OP– I wouldn’t worry too much about your cruise. There are a number of things that can cause issues on a cruise. Some of  which we have no control

I hope everything works out and you have a wonderful time.

m

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Coronavirus stats.. 24000 infected, 500 deaths... Flu stats.. 26 million infected and this season 10,000 deaths in the US.  Worry about the flu not corona. 

Thats a 2% mortality rate from corona virus and .003% mortality rate from the flu

• Like 4

I'm not concerned about the coronavirus but I am concerned about boarding.

I just received an email that now states:

Additionally, there will be mandatory specialized health screenings performed on:

• Guests who are unsure if they have been in contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the past 15 days.
  • Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.
  • Any guest presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screening will be denied boarding.

So someone could be denied boarding for a low fever. It's cold season, probably half the people boarding have cold symptoms. I have a cold right now but I feel fine. I guess I could sniffle, they could pull me aside and deny boarding.

27 minutes ago, Bearsfan82 said:

Thats a 2% mortality rate from corona virus and .003% mortality rate from the flu

They have said multiple times that the infected numbers are probably higher given that people with minimal symptoms aren't seeking treatment which would lower the mortality rate. And the majority of people that have passed away have been over the age of 60 with other conditions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoveTheSoul said:

It's good to learn as much as you can and be prepared as much as possible...and also okay to be concerned.

Concerned perhaps, but not to point of cancelling a cruise preemptively because of some CC post or a click bait online news story.

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

But you can get a flu shot and, even though that doesn't guarantee you will not get the flu, it means that you would probably get a mild case if you do.  Those 10,000 who died in the US are nearly all people who did not get the vaccine or who had compromised immune systems.  No vaccine for this Corona virus is expected until 2021.

Edited by actuarian
  • Like 2