Question being denied boarding with cold symptoms

BeachChik

8 minutes ago, marci22 said:

Really I don't think they are going to deny boarding to someone for sneezing. 

I don't think so too but just make me nervous as that combined with the fact I am asian may or may not get some overreaction out of these people.  I think their original response is appropriate just not their modified version. 

19 minutes ago, iceberg1116 said:

I don't think so too but just make me nervous as that combined with the fact I am asian may or may not get some overreaction out of these people.  I think their original response is appropriate just not their modified version. 

Get some Flonase. It stops sneezing.

16 minutes ago, iceberg1116 said:

Believe it or not, nothing stops my sneezing.  I went to over 10 allergy and ent and tried different medications, nothing do other than getting away from Northeast for a few weeks. 

Did you try Flonase? I have terrible allergies and it works. Generic cheaper.

5. Saying something weird

People claim saying a funny or weird word out loud just before sneezing can stop the sneeze from occurring. It is purely anecdotal.

The thought is that the action of verbalizing something interesting or unusual distracts the brain to prevent the sneeze. There is no research to back these claims.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321305.php#12-ways-to-stop-sneezing

4 hours ago, BHannis said:

Today and tomorrow are major boarding says that are under these new regulations- hoping someone reports about it (If not, I cruise next week and I'll make sure and post).

Please do. I would love to hear how they are handling it. 

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Take an Allegra. 

Me, take Allegra D from behind counter. That being said, been Cruising 30+ yrs, on Cruise Critic over 22yrs and this situation is totally different then any others in the past...

Edited by ONECRUISER

6 hours ago, BeachChik said:

Having the flu is different. But even a minor cold can cause a slight fever. No one stops going places because of a cold. If that was the case no one would go to work in the winter. I have a cold right now but I feel fine and I’ve been to work all week. 

Well said.  I get alot of sinus issues too.

Edited by Cruisegirl6

1 hour ago, nadinenurse1 said:

So who is doing the screening and pulse ox, and what pulse ox is too low.. we all better take deep breathes before we get our sats taken. lol

RN here, guidelines at hospital are 95%+ considered normal. If you have chronic respiratory conditions (e.g COPD) then we generally say around 93% is normal. Not sure how strict RC are being on those though. 

15 hours ago, BeachChik said:

So I asked this in another thread but no one responded. With Royal now saying if someone has flu symptoms or a fever they will be denied boarding I have a question on how that works.

Are they checking everyone to see if a fever is present? Is it based on the honor system that you just admit you aren’t feeling well? Or is it something where they are watching and pulling people that look sick? 

It is the time of year where people get sick. I don’t want to be denied boarding for a simple cold. I have a cold right now and I feel fine. I’m just wondering what others have experienced in similar situations. 

I have yet to take my first cruise. But thinking of taking one in 2020 to try it out.  See if cruising is for me.

But the OP, if she she is able to board with a mild cold.  She should not be denied boarding.

My question is, like what if the OP boards a ship with only a mild cold, and then on board develops a persistent cough?  
How will other passengers know whether she has just a cold, Noro, or the Corona virus?  Or how about with other passengers who develop a cough whilst on board?   Whether it may just be because of allergies, catching cruise cough/crud?   Or maybe because of being infected with Corona virus?  Will other passengers out of fear,  now feel it is necessary to report coughing passengers to ships crew?

What do well seasoned cruisers do now?  Do you report persistent coughing passengers to ships crew? Should you?  Thinking of in the theater, eating venues, elevator, and public areas when passengers cough all around you.

FWIW,  I am mildly OCD, and always carry hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes with me at all times.

Thank you.

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jsg612 said:

RN here, guidelines at hospital are 95%+ considered normal. If you have chronic respiratory conditions (e.g COPD) then we generally say around 93% is normal. Not sure how strict RC are being on those though. 

RN in a subacute/LTC setting, we are happy with any pulse ox over 90%  I don't think they can be too strict, people's Spo2 varies.

For those who think it is "just a cold" and no reason to isolate oneself, they are a part of the problem in the spread of a contagious disease known as the "common" cold (which is also caused by a coronavirus).

What might be mild in some, is more severe in others if they have not been exposed to that particular strain of the virus and have not built up an immunity.

Misery is being on a cruise ship where someone with "just a cold" has boarded the ship and spreads it around.

So yes, if it is "just a cold" with a low grade fever, they are still a cause of misery to others when they don't stay home.

I, for one, would like to see the screening expanded to "colds" and if there is a passenger with one, allow them to maybe board as long are quarantined  in the cabin.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Exactly. They are being very generous to those being denied boarding at the pier, probably because they endured the time and cost of getting there only to be turned away. I’m guessing these folks probably weren't sick when they started their journeys. A FCC to folks who are missing the cruise due to illness does not need to be given, for those without insurance it’s their lucky day.

Insurance only pays out if you are actually too sick to cruise, it doesn’t pay out if RC decides you don’t meet their newly defined criteria of health even though a doctor has declared you well enough to sail. 

I would never ever board a cruise ship with a fever.  I hope and pray that everyone gets scanned prior to boarding all cruise ships.  Usually, even at the beginning of a fever, one presents with a few aches and pains.     One asks oneself, hmm, I am feeling a little out of sorts and low and behold a low grade fever.   At 100.4, you know something is not quite right in your body.  We have always brought a thermometer with us since our kids were little and it is always in our medical bags.   I fell quite ill a few years back on a cruise ship in Asia and the first signs of my illness (influenza), 100.4 fever and slight malaise.  I did not want to pass anything along to fellow guests and reported to medical on ship and was in fact quarantined for 5 days until fever disappeared.    I was monitored each and every day twice per day for fever, given Tamiflu and a cocktails of other meds and was released from my cabin upon end of the fever.    Believe you me, there are a lot of people who would not report and this is why illnesses run rampant on cruise ships.  

Not all sneezing is symptomatic of a cold, etc... My husband will get a sneezing attack for no good reason.  He will sneeze perhaps 12 times in a row.  Like a burst.  Then back to normal  and not to sneeze again for weeks and weeks.  No rhyme or reason.    Wow, what would happen if he is a the check in desk and the sneezing starts.  

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

For those who think it is "just a cold" and no reason to isolate oneself, they are a part of the problem in the spread of a contagious disease known as the "common" cold (which is also caused by a coronavirus).

What might be mild in some, is more severe in others if they have not been exposed to that particular strain of the virus and have not built up an immunity.

Misery is being on a cruise ship where someone with "just a cold" has boarded the ship and spreads it around.

So yes, if it is "just a cold" with a low grade fever, they are still a cause of misery to others when they don't stay home.

I, for one, would like to see the screening expanded to "colds" and if there is a passenger with one, allow them to maybe board as long are quarantined  in the cabin.

No one locks themselves away when they have a cold. People still go to work, the store, school, and yes go on vacation. 

• Like 4

I boarded with a simple cold last week. They asked questions about travel to China or Hong Kong or contact with people there. They didn't even notice I had a cold, nor did we fill out disclaimers.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pink845 said:

Not all sneezing is symptomatic of a cold, etc... My husband will get a sneezing attack for no good reason.  He will sneeze perhaps 12 times in a row.  Like a burst.  Then back to normal  and not to sneeze again for weeks and weeks.  No rhyme or reason.    Wow, what would happen if he is a the check in desk and the sneezing starts.  

Thats me. Sneeze 8-9 times, then nothing for month(s)...

a. Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau in the past 15 days.

This is the line that I think is crazy. How can anyone be sure they haven’t had contact with someone from one of those places. I have no idea where the person standing in front of me at Walgreens has traveled to. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

a. Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau in the past 15 days.

This is the line that I think is crazy. How can anyone be sure they haven’t had contact with someone from one of those places. I have no idea where the person standing in front of me at Walgreens has traveled to. 

Oh, dear, I need to go into quarantine NOW! 

This all reminds me of the "butterfly wings flutter in China" saying...

• Like 1