Soda/water questions

e050377

Hello all.  We haven't cruised with HAL in 12 years.  It is my understanding that we can bring soda and water onboard for our trip.  I read that we need to carry it on, but my friend travelled to the Caribbean last year and swears she put a luggage tag taped to a case of water and it was delivered.  Is that okay? 

Can I just buy a case of water to be delivered to our cabin?  I've looked and didn't see that option.

Also, I have purchased a $50 soda card for $25.  If we use it all, can i buy another onboard or is that a special buy before you sail price?

Thank you for any help you can provide:)

44 minutes ago, e050377 said:

Hello all.  We haven't cruised with HAL in 12 years.  It is my understanding that we can bring soda and water onboard for our trip.  I read that we need to carry it on, but my friend travelled to the Caribbean last year and swears she put a luggage tag taped to a case of water and it was delivered.  Is that okay? 

Can I just buy a case of water to be delivered to our cabin?  I've looked and didn't see that option.

Also, I have purchased a $50 soda card for $25.  If we use it all, can i buy another onboard or is that a special buy before you sail price?

Thank you for any help you can provide:)

Holland America asks that any beverages you bring onboard be in your carry on bags.  There are people who've managed to have them checked through as checked bags, but you're taking a risk on breakage that way.

If your friend cruised on another line (Princess, for example) it's quite likely that they were able to check their beverages.

1 hour ago, e050377 said:

Bottled water is available from room service, I am not sure what the price is. It is sold by the bottle, not the case, so I am sure it is no bargain.

The $50 soda card is only available online before your cruise. I have been told by RuthC that if you don't use it all, you will be refunded a portion of your original $25 unless you have used $25 or more of it. For example if you only use $20 of it, you will be refunded $5. If you used $30 of it you will not receive a refund.

Edited by Tom O.

I would not let the baggage handlers take any cases of water / soda.  Those containers are very thin and break/crush easily.

If you have ever watched how the long shoremen throw the luggage into the carriers that are loaded onto the ship and then unloaded once on the ship, you would not want to have them handle fragile items.

Thank you all for your replies.  My friends were on HAL, but I agree that the plastic seems way too flimsy.  I think I'll just bring a couple of bottles and buy more in port if needed.

That's good to know about the soda cards. I think I'll add another now and if it doesn't look like we need it, I'll ask about a refund.  

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

You can order water ahead of time but it is pricy. It's called Open Water and comes in aluminum cans. 12 bottles for $48.30.  6 bottles of Acqua Panna is $27.60.

We were just on the Koningsdam and the Open Water in aluminum cans was over $5.00 per 16 ounce can.   That seems outrageous.   So anyone who has the Unlimited Beverage Package needs to consider the value of bottled water being included in this package.

Aqua Panna was around $5 per large bottle.   Last year there was the option of purchasing a case of 12 large bottles of water (not Aqua Panna) for under $50, but only see the option of purchasing 6 large bottles now.   

10 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

But do the soda cards purchased onboard come with the 50% discount the pre purchased ones have? 

Yes. 
It's the Beverage Cards that don't have a discount, but that is true no matter when you buy them. 

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Yes. 
It's the Beverage Cards that don't have a discount, but that is true no matter when you buy them. 

Good to know. Thanks! 

I pre purchased one for our next cruise (44 days!) mainly for mixers to use with in-room cocktails and was not sure it would be sufficient.