Princess cancels next two Sapphire Princess sailings

dns65

Just now, bennybear said:

Lol!   Thanks for explaining!   I knew it didn’t make sense! 

It had me fooled too. So I had to look up OPL. Nevertheless, so sorry to see Sapphire's last minute cancellation... I'm worried about their sister company Holland America pulling the same thing with the Westerdam's next sailing on 2/29, which we're booked on. Our best to all those stranded Sapphire cruisers in Singapore!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

The tracker says "Anchorage OPL". "OPL" means outside port limits. They will be anchoring outside of Singapore's port limits....

The sapphire princess is in its way to anchorage in Alaska 

5 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

The tracker says "Anchorage OPL". "OPL" means outside port limits. They will be anchoring outside of Singapore's port limits....

1 hour ago, gemrocks1 said:

The sapphire princess is in its way to anchorage in Alaska 

Anchorage: noun - an area off the coast which is suitable for a ship to anchor.

It will be joining the many ships you see anchored off Singapore when you fly into the airport.  They won't be sending it to Alaska in February!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm not going to respond in a similar fashion as you did to me, but I'd like to know where you got your information about WHO.  Here is the official WHO description of the current Coronavirus outbreak: 

"On this website you can find information and guidance from WHO regarding the current outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) that was first reported from Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019. Please visit this page for daily updates.

WHO is working closely with global experts, governments and partners to rapidly expand scientific knowledge on this new virus, to track the spread and virulence of the virus, and to provide advice to countries and individuals on measures to protect health and prevent the spread of this outbreak."

There is no use of the term "epidemic."  Given your prior postings, you may not believe me so here's the WHO website where the WHO consistently refers to this situation as an "outbreak."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

Again, my advice is calm down...

I think you need to calm down! - YOU are the one who jumped all over the original poster for her use of the word "epidemic " .. trivial in my opinion.

Also dismissing people for being upset with a greasy move by Princess to Cancel a Cruise on the day of sailing with a flippant " That's why you buy insurance " is inflammatory on  your part.

You should look in the mirror before you tell others to "calm down "!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jetstreamer said:

Anchorage: noun - an area off the coast which is suitable for a ship to anchor.

It will be joining the many ships you see anchored off Singapore when you fly into the airport.  They won't be sending it to Alaska in February!

i think that would be a wild experience. imagine the excursions

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forecheck said:

I think you need to calm down! - YOU are the one who jumped all over the original poster for her use of the word "epidemic " .. trivial in my opinion.

Also dismissing people for being upset with a greasy move by Princess to Cancel a Cruise on the day of sailing with a flippant " That's why you buy insurance " is inflammatory on  your part.

You should look in the mirror before you tell others to "calm down "!

For the record:  I never did that and I never said that.  The original poster never used the term 'epidemic' so I wouldn't have 'jumped all over the original poster' for saying that.  I never said 'That's why you buy insurance.'  Please go back and check if you doubt me.

Edited by Daniel A

On 2/13/2020 at 7:44 AM, Daniel A said:

It's not an epidemic!  It is only an outbreak.  Why use inflammatory language to rile up people who have already been riled up by excessive media coverage?  It is one ship out of 20 that Princess has that was quarantined.  Carnival owns about 110 ships.  Where is the hysteria about all these other ships being quarantined?

Calm down already...

Ah but I did and... you did too? 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Maybe just stop...?

1 hour ago, stracpat said:

Ah but I did and... you did too? 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Maybe just stop...?

I just want to clear the air here.  I really don’t need a response to this post, but certainly respond if you care to.  Firstly, I have absolutely no desire to cause you or your travelling companion(s) any more angst than you must be experiencing already.  When I asked the question if Trip Interruption Insurance covers this kind of situation I thought it was a reasonable question to ask.  I understand that Trip Interruption and Trip Cancellation are two different situations.  Trip cancellation usually covers when the traveler changes or cancels their plans for covered reasons.  I was asking about Trip Interruption because I thought that covers expenses if you are left stranded by your carrier or cruise line.  In that post, I was actually asking the question as I was looking for information.  It was not written to be a snarky remark.  I made the distinction between outbreak and epidemic because some insurers will define when something is a declared epidemic.  Sometimes they will look to the CDC, WHO or another designated agency for that kind of determination.  I actually believed that the distinction might have been of help to you in dealing with your insurance carrier.  I do know the media likes to use sensational wording when reporting on events.  My advice regarding ‘calm down’ may have been poorly stated.  I was not singling you out; rather, I was addressing it to everybody reading these posts.  My sincerest apologies if I caused you any more stress than you probably are already under.  Good Luck and safe travels home.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Sapphire is docked in Singapore with a destination: Sembawang Shipyard...  EM

Perhaps that is just somewhere to "park it" for maintenance and other activities til it resumes sailing March 1st? 

23 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Sapphire is docked in Singapore with a destination: Sembawang Shipyard...  EM

10 minutes ago, dns65 said:

Perhaps that is just somewhere to "park it" for maintenance and other activities til it resumes sailing March 1st? 

Maybe they will get necessary drydock maintenance done while the ship is idle so they won't need the next scheduled drydock and can have a cruise instead during that time.

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Maybe they will get necessary drydock maintenance done while the ship is idle so they won't need the next scheduled drydock and can have a cruise instead during that time.

Sapphire had a drydock scheduled 2-16 April.  Apparently they have been able to move it up to now.  EM

• Like 1

I am showing some interesting things when I go into the cruise personalizer on the Princess website, if you are booked on Sapphire over the next 3 months check your account.  Under My Account select Upcoming Cruises.   Take a look at your account status, info right below your Captain's Circle info

I am showing a cruise credit and OBC.  Anyone else? Booked on Sapphire in May  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dns65 said:

Under My Account select Upcoming Cruises.   Take a look at your account status, info right below your Captain's Circle info

I am showing a cruise credit and OBC.  Anyone else? Booked on Sapphire in May  

We are booked on the 1 March sailing and there’s birthing showing for me... In hoping it goes ahead. Clean ship. And fresh passengers... 

10 minutes ago, TrixieBel said:

We are booked on the 1 March sailing and there’s birthing showing for me... In hoping it goes ahead. Clean ship. And fresh passengers... 

TrixieBel, we're booked for 1st March too, and like you, really hope the cruise goes ahead.  Sadly, I think the sailing will be cancelled because of the prevalence of cases of COVID-19 in Singapore, leading to ports not accepting ships/passengers who have travelled via Singapore. 

We are currently looking at options to cruise elsewhere, or visit Tasmania, if cancellation occurs. Just hope we get reasonable notice, unlike the unfortunate 13th Feb passengers. 

1 hour ago, TrixieBel said:

Goodness - autocorrect really messed up for me in my post above... It's supposed to say...

We are booked on the 1 March sailing and there’s nothing showing for me... I'm hoping it goes ahead. Clean ship. And fresh passengers

• Haha 1

Majestic has a dry dock scheduled on March 2 so with everything going on with Sapphire and Singapore, it does make sense Princess is likely avoiding it altogether to avoid a "ship to nowhere" and just head directly to the shipyard without guests. Going to wait and see if and when Princess will release a statement about Majestic. If the outbreak continues like this for the next few months, Majestic's going to need to head off somewhere else after. 

For Sapphire, the ship's just in wet dock at the yard for now, according to the ED onboard.