Princess cancels next two Sapphire Princess sailings

dns65

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Review website. Cancellations go up to:

> Diamond March 12th

> Sapphire June 11th

For those who've already arrived near embarkation point Princess will

> reimburse cruise fare to method paid (cc or gift card) & issue FCC = amt spent on cancelled cruise

> cover unreimbursed airfare, hotels, reasonable expenses

Sapphire is still sailing March, April and May.  There are only two round trip Sapphire cruises out of Shanghai in June that are being cancelled.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pink845 said:

Wow, that is quite a bummer. Cancelling within 24 hours of the cruise on Sapphire.  Again, a good reason to have trip interruption insurance.  The cost of a new flight home would be covered by trip interruption.  In effect, your supplier, Princess cruises is preventing you from sailing as they have cancelled the cruise.  Your trip has hence been interrupted.  That is for those of you who have flown to your port of departure.    My policy pays $2000 per person for airfare to get me back home.    I am pretty sure I could get a flight back for that amount of money and $1500 per person for hotel charges and incidentals waiting for that flight to happen. Have you ever been to Singapore.  A night stay at the Conrad Hilton is upwards of $300 US per night. 

The  letter someone posted showing what Princess plans to cover goes on to state that Princess will cover airline change fees.  That is perfect for people who did not purchase insurance and reasonable expenses on a case by case basis.   These are the risks of travel in these trying days.  I would suggest anyone who has cruises booked for the coming six months anywhere make sure they have insurance.  Said insurance price is certainly going to rise sky high very soon so better get it in place ASAP.  Also, get ready for some insurance companies to exclude trip interruption and cancellation due to ships cancelling journeys due to Coronavirus.    

Our travel insurance policies have a clause in the fine print stating that epidemics aren't covered!

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Our travel insurance policies have a clause in the fine print stating that epidemics aren't covered!

Same here but if Princess cancel, they refund so you don't need to claim on insurance. Same with airlines if you are advised not to fly to a certain place. I now take cancel for any reason insurance so that does cover everything but that cover hasn't been available to us for long. 

You probably are aware of this but just in case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strachan01 said:

Not sure how anyone could be in a worst position but ok.... and everyone treated fairly,give me a break. Do you think the way Princess has treated us is fair? not going to waste my time replying to idiots like yourself 

Go have a look at the Crystal forum if you think you've had a bad deal. Crystal passengers have had their cruise cancelled as well but no refund, just a 100% FCC which must be used on a cruise departing no later than end of April 2021. No offers of reimbursements for airfares, extra accommodation costs, flight change fees or anything. Princess hasn't done too badly compared with that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Same here but if Princess cancel, they refund so you don't need to claim on insurance. Same with airlines if you are advised not to fly to a certain place. I now take cancel for any reason insurance so that does cover everything but that cover hasn't been available to us for long. 

You probably are aware of this but just in case.

Yes I have claimed under Government advice "do not travel", but I wasn't aware of "cancel for any reason" insurance.  I will research whether it is available here and check possible limitations in the fine print. 

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I have claimed under Government advice "do not travel", but I wasn't aware of "cancel for any reason" insurance.  I will research whether it is available here and check possible limitations in the fine print. 

It is available here (CoverMore) and covers 75% of costs which is better than nothing. You have to take the cover out as an option when you buy the policy so probably moreso for next trip I guess.

Let's not make this a case of who is more entitled to be pissed off.... we don't know everyone's circumstances. It has been dealt with poorly by several companies. Everyone is allowed to be annoyed and to vent - that's what this forum is for right? 🤷🏻‍♀️😁

• Like 2

Re cancel for any reason insurance - I'm interested whether it would cover you for some of the recent events, such as cruise line changing embarkation port, cruise line drastically changing the itinerary, etc. 

Edited by MMDown Under

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Re cancel for any reason insurance - I'm interested whether it would cover you for some of the recent events, such as cruise line changing embarkation port, cruise line drastically changing the itinerary, etc. 

No I  am pretty sure the policy I have would not cover those specific situations....however it says for any reason. It wouldn't be hard to come up with something like - you have had an unexpected expense, leave not approved (these are listed as examples in the policy wording as claimable). You can probably get the CoverMore PDS online to check over it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stracpat said:

Let's not make this a case of who is more entitled to be pissed off.... we don't know everyone's circumstances. It has been dealt with poorly by several companies. Everyone is allowed to be annoyed and to vent - that's what this forum is for right? 🤷🏻‍♀️😁

Agreed and I do believe that you and the other passengers on that cruise were very poorly treated. However what got my back up was your fellow poster from Aberdeen believing that the class system should operate and that being Elite meant he shouldn't be treated in such a way. Not in my book and everyone deserves the same attention. 

Edited by leck57

10 minutes ago, leck57 said:

No I  am pretty sure the policy I have would not cover those specific situations....however it says for any reason. It wouldn't be hard to come up with something like - you have had an unexpected expense, leave not approved (these are listed as examples in the policy wording as claimable). You can probably get the CoverMore PDS online to check over it.

Thank you.  I will 

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

Agreed and I do believe that you and the other passengers on that cruise were very poorly treated. However what got my back up was your fellow poster from Aberdeen believing that the class system should operate and that being Elite meant he shouldn't be treated in such a way. Not in my book and everyone deserves the same attention. 

I think everyone is having a bad couple of days trying to get hold of Princess and I have heard with the different tiers you are supposed to be directed to different people, I guess that is what has been annoying!

11 hours ago, strachan01 said:

It is an epidemic. It's been classed as one by WHO. Know what you're talking about before you start posting. 

I'm not going to respond in a similar fashion as you did to me, but I'd like to know where you got your information about WHO.  Here is the official WHO description of the current Coronavirus outbreak: 

"On this website you can find information and guidance from WHO regarding the current outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) that was first reported from Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019. Please visit this page for daily updates.

WHO is working closely with global experts, governments and partners to rapidly expand scientific knowledge on this new virus, to track the spread and virulence of the virus, and to provide advice to countries and individuals on measures to protect health and prevent the spread of this outbreak."

There is no use of the term "epidemic."  Given your prior postings, you may not believe me so here's the WHO website where the WHO consistently refers to this situation as an "outbreak."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

Again, my advice is calm down...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm not going to respond in a similar fashion as you did to me, but I'd like to know where you got your information about WHO.  Here is the official WHO description of the current Coronavirus outbreak: 

"On this website you can find information and guidance from WHO regarding the current outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) that was first reported from Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019. Please visit this page for daily updates.

WHO is working closely with global experts, governments and partners to rapidly expand scientific knowledge on this new virus, to track the spread and virulence of the virus, and to provide advice to countries and individuals on measures to protect health and prevent the spread of this outbreak."

There is no use of the term "epidemic."  Given your prior postings, you may not believe me so here's the WHO website where the WHO consistently refers to this situation as an "outbreak."

Typical yank response. It is categorised as the same as the SARS epidemic. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-51235105

Edited by strachan01
  • Like 1

If it's any small consolation, I see on the Princess website that they will be giving passengers with this last minute cruise cancellation a FCC and will reimburse air change fees and "reasonable out of pocket expenses" on a "case by case basis".  So I would submit all of my out of pocket costs for getting to Singapore and then finding out the cruise is now cancelled.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

While I'm not going to bother copying and pasting information from google (because we are all adults here and know how to look things up for ourselves), WHO declared this as a global health emergency at the start of February which they didn't even do for SARs. They have only done this a handful of times in their history. For those of us who have had our cruises cancelled last minute, we don't care what you think it should be classed as, we care what our insurance class it as. An epidemic is less localised than an outbreak but not as widespread as a pandemic and this global health emergency to insurance companies is certainly more than an outbreak!

I would rather not lose £4000 and can be as pissed or as calm as I want to be about it without such semantics from you, a man I do not know on the other side of the world who knows nothing of my travel insurance terms and conditions 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

Well we are here stuck in Singapore after receiving our email cancelling our cruise less than 18 hours after ship departs. Not only is this devastating for 7 of us and yes they state they will reimburse the cruise and other expenses but it leaves us here to have to pay out a lot of money to either try to book something else or go home. They state they will reimburse us 300 to add another nights accommodation but we have had to book 4 rooms is the 300 per person or per cabin as we had 2 cabins on the ship. What about the accommodation prior to this as we spent 2 nights before this in Singapore and although it was lovely we wouldn’t of come to Singapore from the uk if they were going to cancel it will they repay this.  We are now having to fly to Dubai for another cruise as I’m not going to just send my family home after they have all taken time off their work to come on this trip of a lifetime holiday as they have taken 3 weeks off work each and won’t have enough vacation time this year to rebook. As for insurance paying out that’s a joke you can have the best policy ever but they won’t entertain you if the cruise company are paying you back due to infectious diseases you would be lucky to get £500 back each which covers nothing. Also what about the time spent to sort everything out it has wasted 1 day of our holidays, numerous phone calls and stress, all the tickets we bought in Singapore to use on Wednesday night had to be forfeited as we needed to sort something out and quick, I feel really sorry for the ones who didn’t even have access to their emails and turned up to board the ship also and I’m sure there would of been plenty that had done that. We just need to make the best of a bad situation and try to recover what we can of our holiday.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gemrocks1 said:

Well we are here stuck in Singapore after receiving our email cancelling our cruise less than 18 hours after ship departs. 

Is there a Princess rep at the cruise terminal handling customer inquiries?   Or does everything have to be done via their customer service telephone lines? 

6 hours ago, gemrocks1 said:

Well we are here stuck in Singapore after receiving our email cancelling our cruise less than 18 hours after ship departs. Not only is this devastating for 7 of us and yes they state they will reimburse the cruise and other expenses but it leaves us here to have to pay out a lot of money to either try to book something else or go home. They state they will reimburse us 300 to add another nights accommodation but we have had to book 4 rooms is the 300 per person or per cabin as we had 2 cabins on the ship. What about the accommodation prior to this as we spent 2 nights before this in Singapore and although it was lovely we wouldn’t of come to Singapore from the uk if they were going to cancel it will they repay this.  We are now having to fly to Dubai for another cruise as I’m not going to just send my family home after they have all taken time off their work to come on this trip of a lifetime holiday as they have taken 3 weeks off work each and won’t have enough vacation time this year to rebook. As for insurance paying out that’s a joke you can have the best policy ever but they won’t entertain you if the cruise company are paying you back due to infectious diseases you would be lucky to get £500 back each which covers nothing. Also what about the time spent to sort everything out it has wasted 1 day of our holidays, numerous phone calls and stress, all the tickets we bought in Singapore to use on Wednesday night had to be forfeited as we needed to sort something out and quick, I feel really sorry for the ones who didn’t even have access to their emails and turned up to board the ship also and I’m sure there would of been plenty that had done that. We just need to make the best of a bad situation and try to recover what we can of our holiday.

Are you going on Jewel too?! 😁

5 hours ago, dns65 said:

Is there a Princess rep at the cruise terminal handling customer inquiries?   Or does everything have to be done via their customer service telephone lines? 

Not that we have been told... we only received the generic cancellation email.