Child Suffered Due to Lack of Passports

ducklite

11 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

But in the process you are minimizing the potential difficulties they may run into that they cannot really assess and make a decision on because of a lack of knowledge - which is why people come here to ask.  Your strange obsession is leading some people down the primrose path.

I'm pointing out the reality of the regulations and that they contain provisions to handle the situations mentioned. I've done a lot of reading on this topic from before the first cruise, including reading the draft regulations and the final regulations. I don't want all of that research to go to waste and Cruise Critic is a place where we share knowledge. 

11 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And is no basis for telling people that traveling without a passport is no big deal based on your travels without a passport in a circumstance that don't apply to them.

But other people have cited their travel as a basis for their telling people to get a passport in the same way. People have cited losing a passport in Europe and compared that to traveling without a passport on a closed loop cruise for instance. Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises every year with something other than a passport and have no issues at all. Interpret that as you will. And the response that started this sub-discussion was a specific response to a specific poster who was advising me on how to be safe traveling in Europe now that I have a passport. 

Edited by sparks1093

8 hours ago, clo said:

Of course, it's relevant. You were serving in the military and traveling on military business. Whereas my husband had his passport and traveled Europe extensively. For the life of my I don't understand why you are doing this.

Yes, if one wanted to travel outside the area of the ship or station one would need a passport. Since I never did that I didn't.  And the response that started this sub-discussion was a specific response to a specific poster who was advising me on how to be safe traveling in Europe now that I have a passport. 

Edited by sparks1093

7 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

It sure would have been enlightening if someone had indicated that their worldly travels and living in other countries had been under military auspices. 

Fact is even military need passports for leisure international travel not under orders. And, they may need a passport to enter other countries even with orders.

7 hours ago, clo said:

Would have saved some time, huh?

My initial response that started this sub-discussion was in response to someone who gave me advice on how to travel in Europe and how to stay safe now that I have a passport. I also said in that response "which is probably why I don't hold them in the same thrall as others do." That was the only point that I was making in that response to that poster. 

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm pointing out the reality of the regulations and that they contain provisions to handle the situations mentioned. I've done a lot of reading on this topic from before the first cruise, including reading the draft regulations and the final regulations. I don't want all of that research to go to waste and Cruise Critic is a place where we share knowledge. 

The purpose of sharing knowledge is not to encourage people to do dumb things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

So millions of people traveling on closed loop cruises every year are dumb, got it. 

Well, I would not have put it so bluntly — but since you have, I am not going to disagree with you.  Certainly those who travel out of the country without passports or insurance might qualify - and perhaps also those who believe their drinks are “free” because they happened to have paid for a package which includes some drinks - and ignore the fact that they still get billed an 18% service charge for each of their “free” drinks, do not seem to fall into the genius category.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Well, I would not have put it so bluntly — but since you have, I am not going to disagree with you.  Certainly those who travel out of the country without passports or insurance might qualify - and perhaps also those who believe their drinks are “free” because they happened to have paid for a package which includes some drinks - and ignore the fact that they still get billed an 18% service charge for each of their “free” drinks, do not seem to fall into the genius category.

I was not the one putting it bluntly, I was interpreting someone else's remark. I think intelligent people are capable of looking at their travel needs and their risks, and can make a decision to use a licit form of identification other than a passport. Evidently you don't. C'est la vie. 

I went to the dollar store today with Mrs Ldubs because she wanted to buy some decorations for a baby shower party.  While there I bought a big bag of cheddar cheese popcorn.  It is pretty good stuff and it only cost a buck.  

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

So millions of people traveling on closed loop cruises every year are dumb, got it. 

See, I never said any such thing.  I never said the people were dumb I said what they were doing is dumb.  Smart people do dumb things all the time.  Especially when someone encourages them to.  On a travel forum.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

See, I never said any such thing.  I never said the people were dumb I said what they were doing is dumb.  Smart people do dumb things all the time.  Especially when someone encourages them to.  On a travel forum.

True, that is a very good distinction, I apologize for putting words in your mouth. I encourage them to use their heads and to make their own decisions based on their needs, I don't see that as a dumb thing to do in any circumstance (granted many of them won't think about it at all and once they find out they may travel without a passport will do so regardless of any risk. I cannot control that and neither can anyone else.)

On 2/18/2020 at 3:40 PM, sparks1093 said:

On 2/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, sparks1093 said:

I was not the one putting it bluntly, I was interpreting someone else's remark. I think intelligent people are capable of looking at their travel needs and their risks, and can make a decision to use a licit form of identification other than a passport. Evidently you don't. C'est la vie. 

That sure sounds like “putting it bluntly”.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:11 PM, ldubs said:

I went to the dollar store today with Mrs Ldubs because she wanted to buy some decorations for a baby shower party.  While there I bought a big bag of cheddar cheese popcorn.  It is pretty good stuff and it only cost a buck.  

Just read about popcorn possibly causing Alzheimer’s - or other forms of dementia.

There may be nothing to it — but really cheap popcorn might need thinking about.

54 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just read about popcorn possibly causing Alzheimer’s - or other forms of dementia.

There may be nothing to it — but really cheap popcorn might need thinking about.

Popcorn? What popcorn?  

27 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

You forgot to include the post that I was responding to, you know, context.😉

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

True, that is a very good distinction, I apologize for putting words in your mouth. I encourage them to use their heads and to make their own decisions based on their needs, I don't see that as a dumb thing to do in any circumstance (granted many of them won't think about it at all and once they find out they may travel without a passport will do so regardless of any risk. I cannot control that and neither can anyone else.)

As your own earlier post indicated - they were YOUR words. (Context is context).

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

As your own earlier post indicated - they were YOUR words. (Context is context).

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Well, at least YOU agreed with them.😀 

Uh oh.  You guys are starting to use ALL CAPS.  Must be getting really serious.  😃

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

But if you get alzheimer's you wont remember whether you had cheap popcorn.

Seriously. I am prepared to bet quite a bit that the popcorn thing is a load of nonsense.

Unless you eat about 100 tons of it. Then you will be seriously obese which may cause dementia.

Chicken or egg?

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Well, at least YOU agreed with them.😀 

On 2/18/2020 at 4:32 PM, navybankerteacher said:

No, I did not agree with them.

What I said was that “I would not have put it so bluntly” —- meaning the way you put it.

I then said that “...I am not going to disagree with you...”. 

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No, I did not agree with them.

What I said was that “I would not have put it so bluntly” —- meaning the way you put it.

I then said that “...I am not going to disagree with you...”. 

It's all good in any event. I did misread the import of the previous poster's thoughts and apologized to them for it. I still believe it is possible for an intelligent human being to analyze their own particular travel needs, their own individual risks and choose accordingly and that, in my book anyway, is not a dumb thing to do.