MSC took away my Loyalty points!

Janan

I hope someone from MSC (corporate) is monitoring these Boards:

IF MSC WOULD VARY THEIR ITINERARIES IN THE CARIBBEAN I WOULD HAVE NOT HAD TO GO TO OTHER CRUISE LINES FOR VARIETY; THEREFORE I WOULD NOT BE IN THIS SITUATION BUT BECAUSE OF MSC'S LACK OF IMAGINATION, CUSTOMER SERVICE (CORPORATE NO THE SHIPS) AND LACK OF BUSINESS ACUMEN, I AM NO LONGER CONSIDERED A LOYAL CUSTOMER!!!

PERHAPS I WILL SEE IF THERE IS A THREAD FOR THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM AND IF NOT MY VOICE WILL BE HEARD ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Andy

5 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

A lot of shouting (capitals) but you have not said what happened, have you lost the points for not booking within the 3 year period?

We're the lost points from a status match?

I'm guessing that's what happened.  And I agree that the shouting is unnecessary - and pointless.  A snail mail letter would have more impact and reach the appropriate person in charge of these details.

That said, I do agree that it's a stupid policy - among many that are nickle and diming and add to the lousy reputation of MSC, not withstanding their match status program (especially since the Loyalty is really pretty poor until you reach diamond.)

BTW - many (most) airlines and hotels do the same thing.  

Edited by jkgourmet

sorry you feel that way,it would not matter but I thought MSC was different that's why I've kept sailing with them....I like the cruise line but not what the pencil pushers feel is the best way to make ends meet. Treating your loyal customers with courtesy and respect is the way to achieve longevity in any business

Andy

BTW see no caps, also anthropomorphizing a post on a board is a bit strange...don't ya think! The caps were to get someones attention, preferably someone at MSC

Edited by Janan

I sailed with MSC before this policy  (look at my signature block 2007 on the orchestra, I think it was 2007).  I also missed the cutoff by 3 months....but I had booked in 2019...doesn't matter which I feel is wrong! I leave in less than 1 month....that shows you how unloyal I am!

Andy

17 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

Does any other cruise line keep points forever? MSC should not give status for people who never cruised with them but they do. Every company has own rules take it or leave it. 

I really agree with the take it or leave it part.

I have not heared about any other cruise line that doesn't keep points forever.

• Like 1

You could have cruised lots of places that are not in the Caribbean if you wanted variety.

I have cruised 6 time with MSC and have 2 more booked ( all ports I haven't been to yet) and none of them were Caribbean.

There is a whole big world out there.

• Like 4

It’s not really points that get taken away, it is the Loyalty status, right?  Every document that mentions Status Match and Loyalty mentions the 3 years rule.  My 3 years hit next spring.  We are already looking at sailing out of Tamps (a new port for them) this fall. Then if life happens, we have until April 2021 to cruise within the 3 years.  Might require a little planning and thinking, but doesn’t everything?  

1 hour ago, electro said:

You could have cruised lots of places that are not in the Caribbean if you wanted variety.

I have cruised 6 time with MSC and have 2 more booked ( all ports I haven't been to yet) and none of them were Caribbean.

There is a whole big world out there.

I think I'll reply to you....You obviously make more money than I do...I cannot afford to fly to Europe and then cruise plus the arrangements I need to make. If I could then I agree with you but since i can;t I reject your premise

Andy

3 minutes ago, ebonybee said:

My points will expire while I'm on-board a ship but before the completion of the cruise within the required time period.  I think the contract requires the cruise to be completed.  I guess I will be out of luck.

I am feel bad for you....as someone said in the supportive posts above (I'm being sarcastic...in case someone wasn't familiar that type of speech). It is more a problem that they don't think of me as a loyal customer #1 and #2 they (MSC) would rather reward people who have not necessarily shown them any loyalty by giving the match in status. It's my problem and I will have to deal with it, but I do wish that MSC would hire someone that knows what they are doing (again I am talking about corporate).

again, I feel your pain

Andy

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I really agree with the take it or leave it part.

I have not heared about any other cruise line that doesn't keep points forever.

We have the same level with Princess who we last cruised with in 2017 and before that 2009, we also have the same level with RCI despite not having cruised with them for over 5 years, the same with NCL and possibly Cunard.

Only Costa have put us back to the base level as MSC do, it is a nonsense on behalf of these two because it costs them nothing for customers to remain at the attained level, it is time they both moved into the current Century.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sidari said:

We have the same level with Princess who we last cruised with in 2017 and before that 2009, we also have the same level with RCI despite not having cruised with them for over 5 years, the same with NCL and possibly Cunard.

Only Costa have put us back to the base level as MSC do, it is a nonsense on behalf of these two because it costs them nothing for customers to remain at the attained level, it is time they both moved into the current Century.

We haven't cruised on NCL since 2015 but we are still Platinum with them.

It really doesn't cost much to let people remain at the attained level so I agree with you that they could do that. But now they don't so if it's important for someone that person can choose another cruiseline or cruise more often.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Janan said:

I think I'll reply to you....You obviously make more money than I do...I cannot afford to fly to Europe and then cruise plus the arrangements I need to make. If I could then I agree with you but since i can;t I reject your premise

Andy

So your financial limitations to sail from ports that can accommodate a more varied itinerary equate to MSC not caring for you as a customer resulting in a foot-stomping tirade to hopefully get someone’s attention to completely restructure the company’s sailings to your specific narrow requirements?

Maybe you should hold your breath until you get your way.  By the time someone puts any effort into dealing with your type of customer, the problem will have solved itself. 

• Like 4

I sincerely hope that your never put in a position where someone discounts your thoughts and feelings but i think that ship has already sailed (no pun intended) because of your significant lack of empathy and focus.

This thread was to point out what MSC did wrong, by discounting my loyalty to them as much as it could be, (with the limited itinerary I was offered due to my financial constraints) and by the same token (since I do not feel that my financial situation is unique or that I am special in anyway) many of their cruisers that may find themselves in the same position. I think what they are doing is wrong. If you feel by denigrating me and my thoughts and Yes feelings as well that this makes you the BIG man on campus then I have accomplished my mission by feeding your delusion.

Andy

Edited by Janan

22 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

I'm guessing that's what happened.  And I agree that the shouting is unnecessary - and pointless.  A snail mail letter would have more impact and reach the appropriate person in charge of these details.

That said, I do agree that it's a stupid policy - among many that are nickle and diming and add to the lousy reputation of MSC, not withstanding their match status program (especially since the Loyalty is really pretty poor until you reach diamond.)

BTW - many (most) airlines and hotels do the same thing.  

Yes and no.

For the airlines, your status resets every year (or at least with the major ones, you have to meet x amount of miles flied in 12 months to qualify for the status the following year) but as long as you continue to accrue miles, you aren't going to lose them.  The way you can continue making sure they accrue is by having an airline credit card that applies a certain amount of miles per dollar spent.

Does MSC not have a similar policy?  Also, as far as I know, they are the only 'major' line that resets status like this.  NCL and RCCL allow you to use sailings from 20-30 years ago to increase status, as long as you have a way to prove you were on the ship.  I know this, because I have done this with both over the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, Janan said:

I sincerely hope that your never put in a position where someone discounts your thoughts and feelings but i think that ship has already sailed (no pun intended) because of your significant lack of empathy and focus.

This thread was to point out what MSC did wrong, by discounting my loyalty to them as much as it could be, (with the limited itinerary I was offered due to my financial constraints) and by the same token (since I do not feel that my financial situation is unique or that I am special in anyway) many of their cruisers that may find themselves in the same position. I think what they are doing is wrong. If you feel by denigrating me and my thoughts and Yes feelings as well that this makes you the BIG man on campus then I have accomplished my mission by feeding your delusion.

Andy

Hi

How you perceive others discounting your thoughts and feelings really isn't important here. After all, they should have no bearing on you. 

What you are saying, though, "MSC did wrong", is inaccurate. They did what they said they would do. What they choose to do as their business practices isn't designed specifically with you in mind. 

If you restrict yourself because of loyalty programs, then you are doing yourself a disservice. If you turn your back on what you feel is a good product just because of how they manage their loyalty program, then you are doing it again to yourself. 

This has been repeated on pretty much every cruise line thread... don't pick your cruises based on the cruise lines' loyalty program. They can change the rules any time they wish. They are not necessarily trying to make anyone happy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

If you restrict yourself because of loyalty programs, then you are doing yourself a disservice. If you turn your back on what you feel is a good product just because of how they manage their loyalty program, then you are doing it again to yourself. 

I agree with he point you made above...as far as thinking MSC did wrong that is my opinion with what I know works in business, treating loyal customers (yes if you read the thread you know I have an upcoming cruise on MSC  in a month) I feel I was blindsided because I tried to adhere to their edict. I booked this cruise just under a year ago....showing my loyalty to not only MSC but to the ship and her crew as well (this is my 3rd time on the Diviina), U thought that MSC was better than just pursuing cruisers for the almighty dollar but I admit I was wrong. Therefore I think your above suggestion is helpful!

Andy

Edited by Janan

2 hours ago, Janan said:

Andy

Janan ... While I agree with you with the ridiculous system on three years while other lines keep you at your earned level there are those who will see your issue as minor compared to what Black card holders lost when MSC took away their loyalty club in order to change to the voyagers club and status match!