New thread about passengers returning from the Westerdam

HappyInVan

I'm starting a new thread to track the returning Westerdam pax. The existing thread ' has become muddled by misinformation. The last 5 pages of the 47-page thread is not worth reading.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2731085-news-on-the-westerdam/

This thread is for those with useful information to share. For those interested in useful information. Thanks to the pax who have provided updates, and to their friends and family doing the same.

To recap, there are over one thousand pax in transit limbo and still on the ship, A few hundred passengers have returned home and are being monitored. The 800+ crew are still on the ship.

I'm sure that we wish them all the best.

Two pax are hospitalized in KL. The passengers in Cambodia and Malaysia have undergone a laboratory test. So far, it looks like there were no other infected persons on board.

Time will tell whether the KL infected pax passed the disease on to others.

COVID-19 is a highly infectious and deadly. The tables here provide the numbers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Wuhan_coronavirus_outbreak

Fortunately, the number of infected outside China/HK (and excluding Diamond Princess) is tiny. In the last few days, the number has remained at 400+. Only four deaths.

The efforts by the Chinese/HK governments are paying off. The number of infected in HK is small and remains static. Life goes on.

International containment is working. Lessons have been learned from the SAR and H1N1 crisis. It remains to be seen whether the Westerdam infected pax has made a difference.

At this time, there's not much point in recriminations. Rather, let's use this situation as a learning opportunity. Best wishes for everyone infected anywhere in the world.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This evening's Seattle TV news covered the Sea Tac International Airport return of one man from ms Westerdam.  I have not been able to find it online for accurate details.

He looked healthy and very happy, was a slim and athletic entertainer.  Said that he answered all questions truthfully and was free to go and rent a car to drive home to a nearby state.  Said something like he had not been in China or around a  COVID-19 infected person within the last 14 days, so immigration was happy with him .

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tonights call by US State Dept and CDC primarily focused on the Princess ship (Diamond Princess) included some information on the returning Westerdam passengers from a US perspective.      Obviously this is very limited compared to all nationalities on board but is consistent with many of the current numbers and whereabouts.

Call transcript:  https://www.state.gov/on-the-repatriation-of-u-s-citizens-from-the-princess-diamond-cruise-ship/

Highlights, as of Monday evening US time, Tuesday morning Cambodia:

• 92 American citizens remain on board the Westerdam
  • Another 260 remain in hotels in Phnom Penh
  • Roughly 300 American citizens have departed Cambodia, but only after testing by the Government of Cambodia’s Ministry of Health
  • The one couple that remains in the hospital in Kuala Lumpur is the only individual as of writing that has tested positive coming off the Westerdam
  • "Obviously, everyone is very concerned about the safety of all of the American citizens and all of the other passengers on the Westerdam, and every step is being taken on an international basis to collaborate on contact tracing and in staying in very close contact with the passengers of that ship"

I have cross-posted information on the Princess ship to the Princess forum, so not mentioned here, but interesting nonetheless for discussion there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, bcummin said:

This evening's Seattle TV news covered the Sea Tac International Airport return of one man from ms Westerdam.  I have not been able to find it online for accurate details.

He looked healthy and very happy, was a slim and athletic entertainer.  Said that he answered all questions truthfully and was free to go and rent a car to drive home to a nearby state.  Said something like he had not been in China or around a  COVID-19 infected person within the last 14 days, so immigration was happy with him .

Barbara

He may have been around many COVID-19 infected folks on the ship.  I hope we do not see new cases caused by these returning passengers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

Barbara

The news account was carried on King 5 news (www.king5.com).  He booked a flight from Cambodia to Bangkok to Dubai and then Seattle.  He's a great comedian that we've seen several times on HAL ships including recently on the Volendam and Maasdam.  Out of respect for his privacy I'll not name him here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I'm starting a new thread to track the returning Westerdam pax. The existing thread ' has become muddled by misinformation. The last 5 pages of the 47-page thread is not worth reading.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2731085-news-on-the-westerdam/

This thread is for those with useful information to share. For those interested in useful information. Thanks to the pax who have provided updates, and to their friends and family doing the same.

To recap, there are over one thousand pax in transit limbo and still on the ship, A few hundred passengers have returned home and are being monitored. The 800+ crew are still on the ship.

I'm sure that we wish them all the best.

Two pax are hospitalized in KL. The passengers in Cambodia and Malaysia have undergone a laboratory test. So far, it looks like there were no other infected persons on board.

Time will tell whether the KL infected pax passed the disease on to others.

COVID-19 is a highly infectious and deadly. The tables here provide the numbers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Wuhan_coronavirus_outbreak

Fortunately, the number of infected outside China/HK (and excluding Diamond Princess) is tiny. In the last few days, the number has remained at 400+. Only four deaths.

The efforts by the Chinese/HK governments are paying off. The number of infected in HK is small and remains static. Life goes on.

International containment is working. Lessons have been learned from the SAR and H1N1 crisis. It remains to be seen whether the Westerdam infected pax has made a difference.

At this time, there's not much point in recriminations. Rather, let's use this situation as a learning opportunity. Best wishes for everyone infected anywhere in the world.

I applaud this new thread, however, if correct information is the base, I would not (in my oppinion) base this on wiki threads, but on the WHO site;

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Alphen said:

I applaud this new thread, however, if correct information is the base, I would not (in my oppinion) base this on wiki threads, but on the WHO site;

Agreed Wikipedia is not a source we should be citing as anyone can update their pages. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alphen said:

wikipedia has its uses.

these are useful pages at WHO...

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200217-sitrep-28-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=a19cf2ad_2

Please let us know if there is useful information that's not on wikipedia.

Best Regards

Here in Canada, there have only been 8 confirmed cases of COVID19 out of 358 tested. BTW, WHO last report states only 7 (?) ...

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html#a1

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200217-sitrep-28-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=a19cf2ad_2

The interesting thing is this. The latest WHO daily report states that there have only been eleven secondary infections (outside China/HK/Taiwan/Macau). Occurring in Singapore, ROK, UAE and Japan.

In Vancouver, the fear has abated. In the first week of February, lots of people wearing masks. This week, they have simply disappeared. All of those infected had returned from overseas. Only one case is still being investigated as a possible domestic infection.

So, we welcome Canadians returning from abroad.

The Canadians returning from Wuhan are being quarantined for 14 days at 2 military bases.

The ones from the Westerdam are known and being monitored.

I still think that infectious diseases are a serious ongoing threat in this age of international travel. However, the facts speak for themselves. At this time, containment has succeeded. Ignore the misinformation. Research the topic for yourselves.

The BC government has this simple fact sheet …

https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-feature/coronavirus-covid-19

When will it be safe to travel in East Asia?

Yes, we need to stick to the facts and avoid hysteria.  And be careful, very careful.

My thoughts and prayers are with the hospitalized couple in Malaysia.  She tested positive twice.  He tested negative twice, but I think that I read that he had pneumonia.  Any updates on them?

I keep hoping for no new cases from the Westerdam.  I am a dreamer, but this is possible.

I am impressed that the president of HAL is in Cambodia, talking with people.

Hopefully all of the Westerdam passengers will soon be home - and well.

Barbara

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I appreciate the new thread.  For the last couple of days I tried reading the other thread and found it to be very hard to determine was was real and what wasn't.

Thanks KK. I felt the same way.

I'm happy to have this thread!!

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie
  • Like 1

My parents are US citizens who are still in Cambodia, but got a call today from their county health department saying that they had been notified that my parents were recently in China and wanted to followup on potential Coronavirus exposure or being positive. Since my parents are in the hotel in Phnom Penh, they are not at home and have been tested but it does look like local health departments in the US are contacting cruise guests. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moparop said:

My parents are US citizens who are still in Cambodia, but got a call today from their county health department saying that they had been notified that my parents were recently in China and wanted to followup on potential Coronavirus exposure or being positive. Since my parents are in the hotel in Phnom Penh, they are not at home and have been tested but it does look like local health departments in the US are contacting cruise guests. 

Thank you for confirming this!  I had read a statement yesterday that said the passengers would be contacted by their local Department of Health. 

Safe travels for your Parents and hope they stay well!  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I just cringe every time I see that COVID-19 is deadly.....yes, it can kill, but so can the "normal" flu that kills over 10000 a year....and no one keeps saying "deadly flu".......it's just flu season.

Granted, it can be serious for some, but many won't even know they have it....much like the "regular flu"....and your risk of your death is likely less than the risk you take every time you get in your car for a drive. 

Let's keep the emotion, the fear reasonable.  .

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I appreciate the new thread.  For the last couple of days I tried reading the other thread and found it to be very hard to determine was was real and what wasn't.

I appreciate this new thread also.  The other thread was very hard to sort out what was going on.  This is much easier to follow.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, shanni-shanni said:

One issue that the present passengers from the Westerdam face and nobody has mentioned anything yet.

What happens when their prescription medication runs out?

Tom

There's a doctor on the ship. Show him the old prescription and he can write a new one. The Cambodian government or HAL supplies the drugs if you're holed up on the ship. 

The big problem is if the vessel is wandering the high seas. I assume that HAL and your insurer would arrange a medical drop somewhere.

See the ship's doctor. He's the best person to determine how critical your situation is. Don't be the brave silent type.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shanni-shanni said:

One issue that the present passengers from the Westerdam face and nobody has mentioned anything yet.

What happens when their prescription medication runs out?

Tom

While it may have not mentioned on this thread.  The people still onboard the ship, and at the hotel are having their prescription medicines replenished as needed.

Orlando Ashford has left the hotel and is bringing the rest of the passengers still on the Westerdam to our hotel.  They will arrive late this afternoon on buses.  They will then join with us to await flights home.

We expect that repatriation will take a few more days!

We understand that Holland America knows which countries will allow us safe passage, and will route us accordingly.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, pictonite said:

Orlando Ashford has left the hotel and is bringing the rest of the passengers still on the Westerdam to our hotel.  They will arrive late this afternoon on buses.  They will then join with us to await flights home.

We expect that repatriation will take a few more days!

We understand that Holland America knows which countries will allow us safe passage, and will route us accordingly.

This is wonderful news to hear!!

Safe travels home.

Denise😊

• Like 2