Kids in their own cabin?

Earthworm Jim

I apologize, since a common question like this has no doubt been asked many times before. But I couldn't get the search to come up with anything.

What is Princess' policy for families traveling together in multiple cabins? Does one adult need to be in each cabin, or can the kids (17 and 14 in this case) be alone in an adjacent cabin?

Edited by Earthworm Jim

The website will not let you book a cabin without an adult.  Princess on the phone did book a cabin for our young adult son. 

You, or your TA should book two cabins with one of the adults in each.   They do not know or really care who sleeps where. 

You might want to make sure you get adjoining cabins, or cabins next to / across from each other. And make sure these are booked as No Upgrade,  in case one gets moved far away from the other. 

I am am not sure how extra Medallions for cabin access would work?

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

Book one adult and one child in each cabin. Make sure they are very near or across the hall or maybe adjoining. Once you are onboard they won't mind that the kids stay in a room and the adults stay in the other room. After all, one of the kids is 17. You can have Customer Services fix your card or medallion so you have access to both rooms.

From the Princess FAQ:

==================

Age requirements
Guests under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all guests under their supervision.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We put our 18 and 15 year old in the cabin across from us but for booking it was 1 adult and 1 kid in each room.  We did this when they were younger too. (11 and 8 ) and then just changed who was sleeping where.  You are still responsible for them but this worked for us each time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When ours were young, we booked one adult and one minor in each room. We had one balcony cabin and one inside, across the hall. When we arrived on the ship, the balcony cabin was made up with the queen bed and the inside had two twins. The cabin steward correctly assumed that would be what we wanted. This was before the medallion days but it was no problem to get an extra key for each room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2theship said:

When ours were young, we booked one adult and one minor in each room. We had one balcony cabin and one inside, across the hall. When we arrived on the ship, the balcony cabin was made up with the queen bed and the inside had two twins. The cabin steward correctly assumed that would be what we wanted. This was before the medallion days but it was no problem to get an extra key for each room.

We did the same with our two sons!

worked out great!!!!

• Thanks 1

I have booked my teen kids in their own cabin twice. I call Princess directly, and they have booked the kids in their own cabin without any trouble at all. They would have been 12 and 16 the first time, then 13 and 17 the second time. 

The booking staff then linked our reservations together so I could buy soda packages and make reservations for all of us. We got extra door keys at the Customer Service desk soon after we boarded. It was no trouble at all.

Don't worry about booking one kid and one adult in each cabin. Just call Princess directly and they will take care of it for you.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Deesquared said:

Don't worry about booking one kid and one adult in each cabin. Just call Princess directly and they will take care of it for you.

If it was us we would do one adult for each cabin. That way each cabin would get Shareholder OBC and each cabin would get a mini-bar (which would obviously be moved to the cabin that actually ended up with the adults). Also, if there is a beverage package included as a perk the second person (the minor) would get the soda package included.

Edited by Thrak

28 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If it was us we would do one adult for each cabin. That way each cabin would get Shareholder OBC and each cabin would get a mini-bar (which would obviously be moved to the cabin that actually ended up with the adults). Also, if there is a beverage package included as a perk the second person (the minor) would get the soda package included.

Smart thinking!

I need to get some of that OBC soon!

During our December cruise, we had booked one adult and one teen (17 and 14) in each adjacent cabin. This was primarily because DW and me had previous a Princess cruise and thus a lower booking cost. Once aboard, we went to customer service and they reassigned the Medallions so that DW and me were assigned one cabin and the teens in the adjacent cabin. It worked just fine. They don't care if you move within a group traveling together. Only one person needs to be 16 or older in the cabin.

We have been doing this as well.  

The passenger services desk can give you all key cards to access the other room so if you are the person switching for sleeping you carry two cards - the original one with your charging info and ID and a blank one which is just a door key for the other room. 

Medallions make this easier as they can program them to open multiple doors.  Last cruise was our first Medallion cruise and we all went to the passenger services desk and they were able to program the Medallions so that each opened both Cabin doors.   ( But the person counted the days wrong because the add ons all expired the day before we got off the cruise )

We also liked the Medallion feature that allowed us to find our shipmates - made tracking the kids and them finding us to check in very easy!

On 2/19/2020 at 4:59 PM, voljeep said:

Book one adult and one child in each cabin, to potentially maximize status benefits, and OBC's

I’m missing the point, how does this affect OBC?  We have always received the same OBC based on room selection and promotion whether adult or child.

I guess the status benefits would relate to elite status only?