Good news! Meragivilia accepted in Cozumel

Markanddonna

Reuters is also reporting that MSC Meraviglia has been denied porting in Cozumel.

By REUTERS   
FEBRUARY 26, 2020 23:09
MEXICO CITY - Mexican port authorities on Wednesday revoked permission for cruise ship MSC Meraviglia to disembark on the island of Cozumel over coronavirus fears, a port official said, after Jamaican and Grand Cayman authorities also said it could not stop.

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Mexican-port-denies-cruise-ship-permission-to-dock-over-coronavirus-fears-618967

31 minutes ago, coaster said:

Interesting. Fox Business channel just reported otherwise. 

Also found another news source reporting the same.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-cruise-ship-4500-board-21584975

That site is also saying that the Meraviglia was denied by the Canary Islands (should be Grand Cayman) so I'm not sure how much I trust it....

Edited by Danny61231

32 minutes ago, coaster said:

Interesting. Fox Business channel just reported otherwise. 

Also found another news source reporting the same.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-cruise-ship-4500-board-21584975

This article reported that the Canary Island rejected the Meragivilia. Those islands are close to Europe. We shall see!

Just now, Markanddonna said:

This article reported that the Canary Island rejected the Meragivilia. Those islands are close to Europe. We shall see!

It sure would be nice if this was a mistake. Reuters also has it being denied and travel forums are chattering away too, but you never know. One source having it wrong can lead to many sources having it wrong. I just looked up Meraviglia's current position and it's headed toward Cozumel, but still far away. In other words, the current location didn't help me one bit.

I'm routing for the Mera right now, because Mexico denying entry would be a huge hit :(.

PS: do you know why the ship is docking so late? Also, do you know if the captain JUST came on for the announcement or was that earlier? Nevermind, 'll go look for the tweet haha

Articles discussing MSC Meraviglia being denied entry into Cozumel are popping up all over the internet now. I suspect it is true. I wonder how the passengers feel if the OP's report of the tweet was recent 😞

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-26/mexican-port-denies-cruise-ship-permission-to-dock-over-coronavirus-fears

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/26/world/americas/26reuters-china-health-mexico-port.html?searchResultPosition=7

I'm on the March 1 Meraviglia sailing and on their Roll Call there's a post from a passenger on board now who says they are going to Roatan and Belize now.  Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see where they end up!

2 minutes ago, flahagan said:

I'm on the March 1 Meraviglia sailing and on their Roll Call there's a post from a passenger on board now who says they are going to Roatan and Belize now.  Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see where they end up!

That's the thing about being ON the ship. Other than a middle school, I have never found a place where rumors run faster. Not saying this isn't truthful, just saying that rumors literally FLY on cruise ships :).

• Like 1

The Meraviglia is currently heading to Cozumel at 22.4 knots (almost top speed).  The ship would arrive this evening, if it continues its current course.  If it were heading somewhere else, it would have slowed down and changed direction by now. 

I agree, although technically I 'think' they could get to Belize by Friday, leave early and return to Miami by Sunday, I'm thinking Belize is a rumor. Is Meraviglia scheduled to stop in Ocean cay? If so, I can't see how it could make it to both Belize or Hondoros and ocean cay. Here is her position as of 5 minutes ago:

image.png.9c0ae870aedcfccae3a4ef9a60d9367f.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sid, US media is reporting that the ship has been denied docking in Cozumel. This is also being reported by those on the ship. At this time, I believe it's Ocean Cay or bust.

Can you point to where anyone on the ship has heard this?  

16 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Can you point to where anyone on the ship has heard this?  

I'm reading lots of tweets, but you are absolutely right in that I have no idea if the tweets came from someone on the ship or not. The poor guests on the ship might still think they are going to Cozumel ;(. Looks like Mera is ever-so-slowly turning north.

image.png.8f6d1a199e73a309329bb54b616c3e44.png

6 minutes ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

MSC PR Twitter posted an hour ago that they were going to be allowed. The posts saying they were denied are from two+ hours ago. Maybe cooler heads prevailed.

Or just poor communication. 

LOL.... I quit! We shall see in the morning where she ends up. I do hope that it's Cozumel for the sake of those onboard and all of us sailing in the near future :).

Well well well........... how quickly things change. News is now reporting that a "Trade of Rectifiation" was issued which retracted previous statements. MSC Meraviglia has gained permission to actually dock in Cozumel: :).

https://newsreportmx.com/2020/02/26/mexico-recibira-crucero-meraviglia-que-jamaica-rechazo-por-temor-a-coronavirus/