Misleading Viking River Booking Practices

BarbarianPaul

First off, I’m a huge Viking fan. I’ve sailed on Viking Oceans as well as Viking River, and have been monumentally impressed with both. That said, I just had quite a negative experience when I had to cancel an upcoming river cruise. I called them several weeks before the final payment due date, and anticipated an almost full refund of my initial deposit, less the two hundred dollar cancellation fee which was annoying but at least I was aware of it.

I was told, however, that it would actually cost me far more than $200 to cancel the cruise. I would also be charged over $1800 for their Trip Mate Travel Protection Plan. Since I never pay for insurance before the final payment date, this came as a huge surprise. I was told that the insurance was already paid for in the initial deposit, despite the fact that I was never informed of this by the booking agent, or given any indication of this on any invoice. There was clearly no way to fight back, so I wound up swallowing the cost and feeling totally ripped off. Has anyone else experienced this? It’s never happened to me before with any other cruise line. It also took them forever to refund the money they did agree to give back...almost three weeks. 

But clearly the $200 cancellation fee is a complete fallacy, since no one who pays a deposit can ever cancel without paying a far larger bill.

I also remembered something else misleading that happened to me when I initially booked my Viking cruises. Despite the fact that I booked both cruises over 18 months in advance, I was in both instances (so clearly, it’s company policy) given a final payment date just a few months later. In both cases, I complained, and then the agent was able to slide the final payment date to over a year later. That strikes me as dishonest and misleading. It strikes me as a way to trick new cruisers into paying far more money in a far sooner time frame than they would normally have to.

Has anyone else had to deal with these issues? Maybe I’m wrong or being unreasonable, or need to look at it from a different perspective. As much as I love the Viking cruise experience, I’m seeing a far more untrustworthy side to this company that’s making me hesitant to ever deal with them again.

Well, if you cancel for any reason, then you've actually used the insurance, so you wouldn't be refunded that cost. If it's  far enough in advance of the cruise, I've been able to transfer the booking to a different cruise, including the cost of the insurance. But that was many months in advance.  If you were within the timeframe that you would only  be charged the $200, then you should contact them on tellus@viking.com and ask them to review it.

Whenever I bought insurance directly from Viking, it has always been charged with the original deposit. Otherwise, you could just add it later.

6 hours ago, KathyA said:

Well, if you cancel for any reason, then you've actually used the insurance, so you wouldn't be refunded that cost. If it's  far enough in advance of the cruise, I've been able to transfer the booking to a different cruise, including the cost of the insurance. But that was many months in advance.  If you were within the timeframe that you would only  be charged the $200, then you should contact them on tellus@viking.com and ask them to review it.

Whenever I bought insurance directly from Viking, it has always been charged with the original deposit. Otherwise, you could just add it later.

Good idea about asking them to review it. Thank you.

When I recently booked with Viking, their insurance was automatically included in my quote, and I had to actively decline it before paying the deposit. That wouldn't explain why it wasn't indicated on your invoice, but it does seem to be common practice for Viking.

I don't see why you feel ripped off. If you didn't have the 'cancel for any reason' insurance, surely you would have lost a lot more than the $1800 cost of the insurance. 

I know I am in the UK and we don't have this facility available to us, but ......if you've used the policy you have to pay for it - end of.

2 hours ago, old biddy said:

I don't see why you feel ripped off. If you didn't have the 'cancel for any reason' insurance, surely you would have lost a lot more than the $1800 cost of the insurance. 

I know I am in the UK and we don't have this facility available to us, but ......if you've used the policy you have to pay for it - end of.

The OP cancelled when the penalty should have been only $200. They expected that that would be their total loss. However, if the insurance had been paid for, then it would not be refundable. If it wasn't on the invoice, however, they shouldn't be paying for it. If it was on the invoice, it should have been declined at the time.

We currently have three Viking cruises booked, two river and one ocean. All three have the Trip Mate Travel Protection Plan listed as a line item on our invoice. We always request it at the time of booking, as that is the only way to secure the cancel for any reason which covers the pre-existing medical conditions.

I can imagine a situation where a booking agent added it without you requesting it, but if it truly wasn't listed on your invoice ( it shows up near the bottom under Additional Items) then I think you have a legitimate complaint. If that is the case, you could try contacting Viking through the tellus@vikingcruises.com.  That often seems the most efficient  way to get a response.

This situation is exactly why I use the same trusted Viking agent for all my bookings. The rules are complex and change as time goes on.

Lackcreativity is correct - if you don’t take Trip Mate at booking, you lose the pre-existing benefit. Insurance should be discussed at booking. If there’s no discussion, it would be included. If you see it on your booking document and don’t want it, just call and have it removed. If you decline it and change your mind, you can add it back, but would lose the pre-existing condition benefit. This is a big deal if you have that concern as most travel insurance excludes pre-existing conditions.

Since OP is a previous Viking cruiser, he should have been offered payment 6 months before embarkation. And had he denied Trip Mate and wanted to cancel >6 months before embarkation, he could apply the $200 to a new booking and lose nothing. And offers to book on board can usually be accessed in some form if booked within 2 weeks of disembarkation.

Honestly, until now we have always selected the insurance at booking mainly because of the pre-existing conditions coverage. I never considered we would want to cancel a cruise for any reason other than medical related issues for us or a family member. However, we have Paris to the Swiss Alps booked for April 11, and I can see reasons why we may not want to go at this time. I am probably no more worried about catching the corona virus on a cruise than I am the flu or a noro virus, but if significant closures of tourist attractions along our route, or possible cancellations of flights into the US become a reality, then I would reschedule or cancel this cruise. We have a month to watch what happens, and are glad we have this insurance. 

In regards to the final payment due date, that has been a contentious issue with Viking from the beginning. The policy has varied over time, at some points being very firm early payment dates and sometimes it is more flexible. Even when I have been eligible for a six month out final payment date because we already had another cruise booked, sometimes  I was not initially offered that option and had to ask for it. My theory is that with the rapid expansion of Viking cruises, they are hopeful of getting as much money in their hands as quickly as they can. You have to advocate for yourself, and Cruise Critic is an excellent resource to prepare for that.

Edited by lackcreativity

Just a couple of thoughts about this.

-$1,800 for trip insurance seems on the high side, and I’m speaking as one up in age. Of course I don’t know the cost of your trip . . . but I find I can almost always beat the cruise company’s price by shopping.

-CFAR generally refunds less than 100% (usually about 75%) of your non reimbursed cost.

Three points:

First, we made final payment yesterday on a Grand European tour for this July.  We originally turned down the Viking insurance believing it to be expensive, intending to later purchase a cheaper policy through Insuremytrip.  When dw became concerned about Corona I searched 3rd party insurers but was unable to find any offering 100% cfar.  Maximum available was 75%.  Also dd who is traveling with us lives in NY which does not allow insurers to offer cfar.  So went back to Viking and was told we could add Tripmate 100% cfar right up until final payment date.  They are also able to cover dd.  We took the coverage and will now sleep better for the next couple of months.  So, while Viking insurance is expensive sometimes it is the best option.

Second, given our experience above, so long as you have no pre-existing condition concerns might be smart to initially reject Viking insurance and only purchase it later on fp date.  Then if you cance before fp there should be no $1800 charge

Finally, since you are being charged for the insurance you are entitled to 100% cfar and should therefore not have to pay the $200 cancellation fee.  I would fight to get that money back.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

14 hours ago, old biddy said:

This was before the final payment date and was not cancel for any reason. Viking does not offer it. Any one can cancel for any reason, with or without insurance, prior to final payment.

6 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Will you be on the Viking Hild from Zurich down to Paris for the April 11th cruise?

Honestly, until now we have always selected the insurance at booking mainly because of the pre-existing conditions coverage. I never considered we would want to cancel a cruise for any reason other than medical related issues for us or a family member. However, we have Paris to the Swiss Alps booked for April 11, and I can see reasons why we may not want to go at this time. I am probably no more worried about catching the corona virus on a cruise than I am the flu or a noro virus, but if significant closures of tourist attractions along our route, or possible cancellations of flights into the US become a reality, then I would reschedule or cancel this cruise. We have a month to watch what happens, and are glad we have this insurance. 

7 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

This was before the final payment date and was not cancel for any reason. Viking does not offer it. Any one can cancel for any reason, with or without insurance, prior to final payment.

Just to be pedantic. In the UK whenever we cancel, once the initial deposit is paid, which for us is 25%, we lose the lot. Yes, some of our other booking conditions are preferable, like final payment 10 weeks before departure. So your statement anyone can cancel for any reason prior to final payment is not strictly true.

8 hours ago, old biddy said:

Just to be pedantic. In the UK whenever we cancel, once the initial deposit is paid, which for us is 25%, we lose the lot. Yes, some of our other booking conditions are preferable, like final payment 10 weeks before departure. So your statement anyone can cancel for any reason prior to final payment is not strictly true.

Just from reading various posts over the last few years, the UK booking conditions generally seem less favorable than those in the US. Aside from Viking, most cruise lines do not charge the insurance until final payment, and do not even offer cancel for any reason. My argument to them is that I don’t believe I was told that the bulk of my deposit was going to insurance, and that it was non refundable.

I did email them, and a woman called me this weekend and left a message. Will call her back today. I believe the odds of this call concluding with a refund of the insurance money are probably close to zero.

20 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

They are also able to cover dd.

1 hour ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Aside from Viking, most cruise lines ... do not even offer cancel for any reason.

That is because Viking "self-insures" this portion; it is not underwritten by the insurance policy itself and thus does not have to be approved by the various state Insurance Commissions and can be offered in UK, AUS, NZ, CAN. It is also why Viking can offer 100% CFAR while others do not.

CFAR under the Viking policy is a waiver of all cancellation penalties granted by Viking to those who buy their travel insurance from Viking and might involve having to take a voucher for a future cruise as opposed to a cash refund (see the TripMate materials for details --USA only). But, you still have to pay for the insurance and it is not refundable.

Tripmate_Travel_Protection.pdf

Edited by Peregrina651

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

That is because Viking "self-insures" this portion; it is not underwritten by the insurance policy itself and thus does not have to be approved by the various state Insurance Commissions and can be offered in UK, AUS, NZ, CAN. It is also why Viking can offer 100% CFAR while others do not.

CFAR under the Viking policy is a waiver of all cancellation penalties granted by Viking to those who buy their travel insurance from Viking and might involve having to take a voucher for a future cruise as opposed to a cash refund (see the TripMate materials for details --USA only). But, you still have to pay for the insurance and it is not refundable.

Tripmate_Travel_Protection.pdfUnavailable

Agree Peregrina.  We purchased Tripmate insurance with the understanding that if the cruise is cancelled we will be reimbursed in cash, but if the cruise isn't cancelled and we back out we will receive a future cruise voucher.  Will have no trouble applying vouchers against a new reservation sometime in the next twelve months.  My only concern is that vouchers are non-transferrable so if dd cannot travel with us next time I am theoretically unable to transfer  her voucher to another family member.  Hopefully she will be able to join us, or is she can't Viking will show some flexibility.

5 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Agree Peregrina.  We purchased Tripmate insurance with the understanding that if the cruise is cancelled we will be reimbursed in cash, but if the cruise isn't cancelled and we back out we will receive a future cruise voucher.  Will have no trouble applying vouchers against a new reservation sometime in the next twelve months.  My only concern is that vouchers are non-transferrable so if dd cannot travel with us next time I am theoretically unable to transfer  her voucher to another family member.  Hopefully she will be able to join us, or is she can't Viking will show some flexibility.

Personally, I would never buy insurance whose payoff is in future cruise vouchers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Check the link below for the new, temporary policy on cancellations/rescheduling of Viking cruises. It seems that you will have 24 months to reschedule the trip if you need to cancel. That may make it easier to rebook something when your daughter will be able to join you.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

This seems like a very generous offer from Viking. 

2 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Personally, I would never buy insurance whose payoff is in future cruise vouchers.

All other things being equal, given the choice between a 100% future cruise voucher and 75% cash [which is what third-party insurance offers], I would take the voucher unless I was sure I wouldn't want to cruise on that line again.  OTOH I prefer third-party insurance [without CFAR] because TAs can sell a policy from Allianz [the 'Journey Plan'] that provides pre-existing coverage even if bought at the time of final payment – and if you cancel your cruise without making a claim, it can be rolled over to a future trip.  So far those risks seem more important to me than CFAR coverage.  I take out the policy as soon as I have a non-refundable purchase [deposit or airfare], just for that small amount – then at final payment I increase the coverage to all costs; that keeps my money in the bank longer and doesn't cost any more in the long run.  I did have to make a claim with Allianz and they were very easy to deal with.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

All other things being equal, given the choice between a 100% future cruise voucher and 75% cash [which is what third-party insurance offers], I would take the voucher unless I was sure I wouldn't want to cruise on that line again.  OTOH I prefer third-party insurance [without CFAR] because TAs can sell a policy from Allianz [the 'Journey Plan'] that provides pre-existing coverage even if bought at the time of final payment – and if you cancel your cruise without making a claim, it can be rolled over to a future trip.  So far those risks seem more important to me than CFAR coverage.  I take out the policy as soon as I have a non-refundable purchase [deposit or airfare], just for that small amount – then at final payment I increase the coverage to all costs; that keeps my money in the bank longer and doesn't cost any more in the long run.  I did have to make a claim with Allianz and they were very easy to deal with.

Good points, and your insurance strategy is really smart. I usually use TravelGuard, bought at time of final payment, because they have a “cancel for business reason” clause, which is the most likely reason I would have to cancel. 

25 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

bought at time of final payment, because they have a “cancel for business reason” clause, which is the most likely reason I would have to cancel. 

I buy at the time of booking because of the "existing conditions" clause. My parents are in their 90s and I don't want to be told that any of their health issues are existing conditions that aren't covered. I cover the deposit and then raise coverage at final payment.