Independence OTS- what is going on?

I have a business associate that disembarked the Independence of the Seas in Ft Lauderdale today from an annual rock band charter and was going on the MSC Armonia out of Miami.  As I understand, the Independence of the Seas was denied entry into Grand Cayman earlier in the week due to an unspecified medical emergency evacuation.   A crew member, who was NOT speaking for the cruiseline and may not have been informed, told my business associate's wife that it was a confirmed case of CV, (or "suspected" CV- "suspected" are my words).   

After stating on the MSC questionnaire that he had been on the Independence OTS and that there may have been a case of CV, my business associate was just denied boarding on the MSC Armonia.   Others on the same itineraries stated "no" on the questionnaire and were allowed to board.    I believe that denial of boarding was a precautionary step on behalf of MSC, but it was VERY disheartening for my business associate and his wife because his birthday is tomorrow.  He does not fault MSC, but believes it was a VERY unfortunate turn of luck on his part.  

Does anyone have any news on medical evacuation in Grand Cayman and why the Independence OTS was denied entry??  Was it  something we should be concerned about?

No but honestly I think it was very unwise for him to tell MSC something that is a TOTAL RUMOR. Some random crew member said that.. It has been my experience that not all crew members always know what's going on and to repeat something that has not been verified is ridiculous and dangerous. I get your friend was trying to do the right thing and honestly the fault is with the crew member but I just think your friend should of said nothing since nothing was confirmed. 

Edited by agslc5
  • Like 6

The crew member could not have known the exact illness, CV requires a test to be diagnosed and they don't have the tests on any ships. 

Grand Cayman is a tender port and it is skipped when the waves are too high to safely run the tenders. 

5 hours ago, agslc5 said:

….Some random crew member said that.. It has been my experience that not all crew members always know what's going on and to repeat something that has not been verified is ridiculous and dangerous.

Exactly. That is what internet forums, book-of-faces, Instagram, TV & newspapers etc are for😮

• Haha 1

Didn’t he stop to think it it were CV he wouldn’t be getting off Indy as they would quarantine everyone so it didn’t spread!  Didn’t he think that the captain would  of made a major announcement if it were true.  😳

Edited by Midwestgal

17 hours ago, crkdad said:

unspecified medical emergency evacuation

DH does not have all the facts either, but heard the medical emergency was someone had a stroke and needed to be taken to a hospital.  Again, not confirmed, just what passengers were saying on the ship.

eta: They did bring some sort of evacuation craft to the ship, he does know that.

Edited by jk04