Find it Here: Santorini, Firá, and Oia Q & A

TheBandit

I was in Santorini last month and the boats were running for 30 euro per person.  This included the boat to Oia, bus to town and bus back to Fira.  Fair warning,  the bus does not meet you at the boat and you will need to walk uphill about 1/2 mile.

It is still worth it for the independence and would readily do it again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I'm sending my parents on a cruise and they're going to stop in Santorini. can someone tell me the ptice of the bus to go up to Oia? from memory, when we dock, we go left and up a hill to a bus? how much time is it to get there?

I see some people here say to take a ferry? How does this work and how much is it please?

Thanks in advance

30 minutes ago, sacramouille said:

Hi, 

I'm sending my parents on a cruise and they're going to stop in Santorini. can someone tell me the ptice of the bus to go up to Oia? from memory, when we dock, we go left and up a hill to a bus? how much time is it to get there?

I see some people here say to take a ferry? How does this work and how much is it please?

Thanks in advance

This past May, the local bus cost 1.60 Euros each way. It takes about 30 minutes from Fira to Oia.

There's also the option of boat/bus/bus...speed boat to the dock below Oia, then bus up to Oia, then bus back to Fira...cost was 30 Euros. We did not take this option. 

4 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

This past May, the local bus cost 1.60 Euros each way. It takes about 30 minutes from Fira to Oia.

There's also the option of boat/bus/bus...speed boat to the dock below Oia, then bus up to Oia, then bus back to Fira...cost was 30 Euros. We did not take this option. 

which option would be best for them, they cannot go up the huge hill..

• 3 weeks later...

headed there in a week, are there independent operators at the port when we disembark? or should I book ahead of time.  we're just not sure what we want do yet so wanted to play it by ear but also don't want to end up missing out on a great adventure. speed boat to Oia sounds like a great option. Thanks in advance for any advice!

12 hours ago, lbski2 said:

headed there in a week, are there independent operators at the port when we disembark? or should I book ahead of time.  we're just not sure what we want do yet so wanted to play it by ear but also don't want to end up missing out on a great adventure. speed boat to Oia sounds like a great option. Thanks in advance for any advice!

No independent operators at the port (either one).  This is very uncommon in Greece.  Book ahead of time.  If you are talking about the boat to Oia mentioned in this board, it is not a speed boat.  It is a larger boat that collects passengers at the pier and takes them to a little port below Oia.  It is a short distance.  

Since you only have a week to go, look at https://www.santorini.gr and decide what you would like to do.  https://www.planetware.com/greece/santorini-gr-aeg-santo.htm

If you only want to see Oia, follow advice on this board.  If you want to do/see more, you need to plan ahead and book something. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi. Two of us (first time cruisers) will be in Santorini on 28th July this summer (Celebrity Constellation). I’m researching various options for when we get there: Celebrity’s own excursions, independent shore excursions, or do it ourselves wandering.

I’m sorry if this seems like a silly question, but are the tender boats free of charge? If I have not booked a Celebrity excursion do I pay to get from the ship to the dock? Or is it always included?

One option I see on the shoreexcursionsgroup.com website is a small group tour taking in Megalochori, Pyrgos, Oia and Fira, with a winery visit to boot. It’s not cheap but it seems extensive, plus I like the idea of the small group - everything should be more time-efficient. Is it worth visiting the likes of Megalochori and Pyrgos on top of Oia and Fira? Is it a lot more money for more of the same? Or is these villages unique in their own right?

Our ship is due in at 07:00. An hour earlier the Norwegian Gem is in and an hour later the much smaller Oceania Nautica is due. And that’s it for the day it seems. Given it’ll be late July any idea if it promises to be particularly busy tendering/getting the cable car up to Fira for say a 09:00 tour?

Many thanks in advance for any advice provided.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:01 PM, Marieux said:

Anyone been there recently? Trying to figure out the best way to get from Fira to Oia and back. 

Bus, taxi, walk, ships excursion.

Or buy a ticket for a large boat in the tender harbor (look back a few posts for details)

The problem is getting TO Fira due to long lines for the cable car.  We waited 2 hrs (end of Sept).

32 minutes ago, Peadar2000 said:

Hi. Two of us (first time cruisers) will be in Santorini on 28th July this summer (Celebrity Constellation). I’m researching various options for when we get there: Celebrity’s own excursions, independent shore excursions, or do it ourselves wandering.

I’m sorry if this seems like a silly question, but are the tender boats free of charge? If I have not booked a Celebrity excursion do I pay to get from the ship to the dock? Or is it always included?

One option I see on the shoreexcursionsgroup.com website is a small group tour taking in Megalochori, Pyrgos, Oia and Fira, with a winery visit to boot. It’s not cheap but it seems extensive, plus I like the idea of the small group - everything should be more time-efficient. Is it worth visiting the likes of Megalochori and Pyrgos on top of Oia and Fira? Is it a lot more money for more of the same? Or is these villages unique in their own right?

Our ship is due in at 07:00. An hour earlier the Norwegian Gem is in and an hour later the much smaller Oceania Nautica is due. And that’s it for the day it seems. Given it’ll be late July any idea if it promises to be particularly busy tendering/getting the cable car up to Fira for say a 09:00 tour?

Many thanks in advance for any advice provided.

The tender is free. Your ship will probably offer tender tickets the day before at 8am.  Get in line an hr early to get a tender ticket or you'll be last off the ship.

Unless you're taking a ship excursion I don't see how you could be in Fira for 9am. Unless you walk up the donkey path.

We had tender #4, by getting in line an hr early, but still stood in line for 2 hrs to get the cable car.

There are only 6 cars that hold 6 pax each, so it just takes a LONG time ven tho the ride itself is about 3 minutes. 

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We will be in Santorini in August on Celebrity Infinity.  There are 6 ships in port that day.  Should we book an excursion with Celebrity even though the group will be huge, just to get a priority tender. The other option is booking a private tour, and getting in line early to get a tender ticket.  Does anyone have private or small group tour suggestions for Santorini?

17 minutes ago, Cooper67 said:

We will be in Santorini in August on Celebrity Infinity.  There are 6 ships in port that day.  Should we book an excursion with Celebrity even though the group will be huge, just to get a priority tender. The other option is booking a private tour, and getting in line early to get a tender ticket.  Does anyone have private or small group tour suggestions for Santorini?

I will be in Santorini in July and recently booked a 5-hour tour with Santorini Tours that I found on Trip Advisor. It will be a small group (maximum of 14) and fits in quite a bit. It costs €99 per person (roughly $109) which is pretty good compared to Celebrity’s equivalent excursions. Our ship (Constellation) gets in at 07:00 and the tour meets at 10:00 at the cable car station in Fira which gives us plenty of time to get there even without a priority tender. If the queue for the cable car is prohibitively long I am willing to try walking up the winding path which, although arduous looking, should be manageable in the early morning.

See the attached link for the tour I booked…  https://www.tripadvisor.ie/AttractionProductReview-g189433-d12577466-Santorini_5_Hours_Sightseeing_Tour-Santorini_Cyclades_South_Aegean.html

• Like 1

Plan to bring a big church group next year on Celebrity to Santorini.  We'll be there on a Sunday. Just wondering now - is there a quiet beach we could have a Sunday service on first thing in the morning? Is there a beach club that we could rent for the morning so we'd have a place?  I think that could be very special but don't even know if it is remotely possible. Any ideas appreciated!

1 hour ago, kabookie7 said:

I cannot seem to confirm that there is a boat company at the Old Port to take my daughter and I to Oia. I read conflicting reports. Can anyone confirm there is such a service for June of 2023? Thank you!

There is such a service. It runs during the tourist season.

36 minutes ago, jonsmom said:

Is October considered tourist season, late October?

Not really. Many businesses start winding down by early October. If you are concerned about the boat to Oia, there is a good chance it will still meet the cruise ships if the weather is fine. You should contact the Santorini tourist office.

19 minutes ago, marazul said:

Not really. Many businesses start winding down by early October. If you are concerned about the boat to Oia, there is a good chance it will still meet the cruise ships if the weather is fine. You should contact the Santorini tourist office.

Thank you

Hi - our ship (Azamara Onward) docks in Santorini at 8am we have a maximum capacity of 650. There is another ship in before us (Celebrity Constellation) circa 2500 pax max.

Given the above ships and numbers what are the chances of getting up to Fira by cable car by 9.30.

I appreciate its difficult to predict ships capacity and who will want to take the cable car - just looking for educated guesses.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Billy Butlin said:

Hi - our ship (Azamara Onward) docks in Santorini at 8am we have a maximum capacity of 650. There is another ship in before us (Celebrity Constellation) circa 2500 pax max.

Given the above ships and numbers what are the chances of getting up to Fira by cable car by 9.30.

I appreciate its difficult to predict ships capacity and who will want to take the cable car - just looking for educated guesses.

Thanks

That's a tough one. I'd say iffy  

Keep in mind that there are only 6 cars, holding 6 pax each. It's a 3 minute ride, plus 1 minute to load, so about 500 - 600 pax an hour. 

Would you be able to walk the stairs if there is still a long queue at 8:30am?

Hi thanks for the reply.

Thats potentially our back up option, assess the cable car queue and if it looks like we wont get up on time then walk.

I'm not too sure how long the walk up takes, or how strenuous it is, ..... seem to see differing views. Whilst it will be warm hopefully no too hot at 8.30 to 9.00.

If I can do the walk at a steady but not vigorous pace in 30 mins or so then that's something to consider

Regards

39 minutes ago, Billy Butlin said:

Hi thanks for the reply.

Thats potentially our back up option, assess the cable car queue and if it looks like we wont get up on time then walk.

I'm not too sure how long the walk up takes, or how strenuous it is, ..... seem to see differing views. Whilst it will be warm hopefully no too hot at 8.30 to 9.00.

If I can do the walk at a steady but not vigorous pace in 30 mins or so then that's something to consider

Regards

The walk up is something I will consider too when I arrive off the tender. I can’t seem to find a rough timespan of the ascent but I would say 30 minutes is the bare minimum, more likely closer to 45 minutes or beyond, depending on mobility. The early morning time should make it bearable too. Have a look at YouTube for videos of people trekking up, just to get an idea. eg this one…