LIVE! B2B on the Grandeur March 7-27, 2020 with Dragon of the Seas

23 minutes ago, lelmorrow said:

We're especially worried since they both have some preexisting health conditions. Unfortunately I don't have their cabin number at this time.

Welcome to CC.

You can also post this in the roll call thread for their sailing. If needed, RCI has a number where folks on the ship can be contacted in an emergency. I would assume if there was an issue, they would have a way to contact you. They could simply be out about having fun.

• Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

You can also post this in the roll call thread for their sailing. If needed, RCI has a number where folks on the ship can be contacted in an emergency. I would assume if there was an issue, they would have a way to contact you. They could simply be out about having fun.

Thank you, Biker19. Where do I find the roll call thread? They're not very tech savvy and wouldn't be on here. I appreciate you responding. I suppose no news is good news. 

9 minutes ago, lelmorrow said:

They're not very tech savvy and wouldn't be on here.

They don't need to come here - they could simply ask on the ship at guest services or other cruisers to help them - lots of places they could turn for help.A bit late now but obviously try to get a comms plan in place before they cruise or go anywhere for that matter and practice it at home.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

They don't need to come here - they could simply ask on the ship at guest services or other cruisers to help them - lots of places they could turn for help.A bit late now but obviously try to get a comms plan in place before they cruise or go anywhere for that matter and practice it at home.

Their plan was to contact us when they were at port/on island. I understand you all haven't been able to get off the ship until today though. I just wish I could tell them to pay for the wifi so they could contact us! 

1 minute ago, lelmorrow said:

Their plan was to contact us when they were at port/on island. I understand you all haven't been able to get off the ship until today though. I just wish I could tell them to pay for the wifi so they could contact us! 

When they do contact you, tell them to talk to their MDR staff - they'll know where to find free wifi in each port.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

When they do contact you, tell them to talk to their MDR staff - they'll know where to find free wifi in each port.

I appreciate your help. I have all our family asking about them now and I have zero answers to give other than I know the exact location they're in. 

11 minutes ago, DELTABLUE said:

Hi lelmorrow,

Printed pict of your parents  - taking it to Guest Srevices to ask them to get in touch with you. Will also BOLO

Thanks, it's not an emergency on my end and maybe I'm just overreacting...I appreciate this though. I will pay for their wifi just to give me and our family peace of mind! 

lelmorrow...I just spoke to Guest Services and your parents are off the ship, seeing the town.  When they return, they will be directed to Guest Services to collect a copy of your post and hopefully get back to you.  Assume that that all is well as they are out and about.😉

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DELTABLUE said:

lelmorrow...I just spoke to Guest Services and your parents are off the ship, seeing the town.  When they return, they will be directed to Guest Services to collect a copy of your post and hopefully get back to you.  Assume that that all is well as they are out and about.😉

THANK YOU! I vow to purchase a wifi package for them for now on lol 

44 minutes ago, DELTABLUE said:

Thanks again for this. Guest Services gave my mom a complimentary phone call when they got back on the ship and I chatted with her for a few minutes. They're fine, besides the GI illness going around and seasickness.  

I told my mom about how a crew member had been to Japan in the past 14 days which is why no one was allowed off at St. Thomas Island (https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22587-virgin-islands-deny-grandeur-of-the-seas-call.html). The lady at guest services swore up and down that this was a lie. Not sure what to believe, but I hope everyone aboard stays safe and healthy for the remainder of the trip. Thanks again for your help!! 

• Like 2

lelmorrow--Cruise Critic members are the biggest help.  I always go to this site to find out the latest information on anything.  If the crew member had been through Japan within 14 days by the day we were in St Thomas that would mean it was only 7 days before we boarded.  I think the cruise before ours was longer than that. If he boarded with us I doubt that is possible.  They were pretty strict regarding who could board at the pier.  We were asked the same questions 3 times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

I am expecting the second cruise to be cancelled.  But we will wait for RCL to cancel it so we can get a refund rather than FCC.

1 minute ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I am expecting the second cruise to be cancelled.  But we will wait for RCL to cancel it so we can get a refund rather than FCC.

I am actually surprised that you can still book the 3/19 sailing on their website.   Nothing like waiting till the last minute to let people know.

Glad you got a port stop.

We got off in Dominica today and took an independent tour around the island.  It was similar to the tour the ship advertised as the best of Dominica.  Our first stop was the site of the Morne Brue Garrison.  What it is today is one of the best views of the city of Roseau. [pronounced Rose-Oh]

20200313_095400.thumb.jpg.678d3f72d88b02db3c7148f51e6439c3.jpg

You could see the ship in the harbor and the Cricket stadium. 

20200313_095424.thumb.jpg.6d1b923d987567f6f0bec4ccd6904182.jpg

20200313_095429.thumb.jpg.4f70824dd0250eccbd5adfb07cb44ec8.jpg

3 hours ago, lelmorrow said:

Hi there! My parents are aboard Grandeur of the Seas and I'm unable to get in touch with them. Has anyone seen or heard from Debbie and Mike Lipinski? They were supposed to call/text when they got to an island, but it's been radio silence from them. We're especially worried since they both have some preexisting health conditions. Photo attached. Unfortunately I don't have their cabin number at this time. Thanks!

md.jpg

Hi. I have cruised several times on the grandeur ots and their wifi is not the best especially if they only have the surf package.  Texting will not work neither will cell phones for most part unless they have a wifi app for phone calls.

the ship is docked in Dominica today hopefully they are on the island having a wonderful day.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hi. I have cruised several times on the grandeur ots and their wifi is not the best especially if they only have the surf package.  Texting will not work neither will cell phones for most part unless they have a wifi app for phone calls.

I have had my issues with the wifi. It took me 16 minutes to up-load the 3 pictures above. It is actually slower than dial-up. 

Our second stop was the botanical garden.  Dominica took a direct hit from hurricane Maria in 2017 before it hit Puerto Rico.  Our guide said everything in the Botanical Gardens was stripped of its green leaves. But it looks lush today.  There were several very unusual plants growing there.  This was a tree that she called elephant fruit.  The fruit have skin like potatoes but are huge and very heavy.  She urged us not to stand under the tree. 

20200313_101421.thumb.jpg.f06e83ff2b6593e04fbaf6a6f94fe0cc.jpg

There is a large Banyan tree.  The top of the tree was sheared off during the hurricane.  They keep the tree trimmed or it would grow even larger. 

20200313_101627.thumb.jpg.917263f23e58549307a4c014123bc883.jpg

The Botanical garden is a recreation area for the people of Roseau. We saw a school group in uniforms playing. The islands is so mountainous there is very little open land.  The city took part of the Botanical Garden to build a high school. 

On the way to our next stop we saw this statue dedicate to a woman on her 127th birthday.  She lived to almost 129. They say her daughter is still living and is in her 90s.

20200313_105149.thumb.jpg.469b7594c7a886efba28845e513a6411.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 1