Wonder if Celebrity Will Do Somthing Similiar - OBC for not cancelling

sandc4e

Just reading on FB about Carnival sending a letter to all their cruisers with booking through May 31 that they are extending OBC for not cancelling.  Interesting and I wonder if other lines will follow.

Image may contain: text

Carnival Letter 03062020.jpg

I got a notice from HAL yesterday.  

Prices on the 90 day ticker are rather low.

I would expect that Celebrity would need to in order to keep cruisers on the ships.  It has been an eventful week in the cruise industry.

Some of the most popular cruises that book up shortly after release now have cabins available.

Edited by NMTraveller

I think offering OBC to keep the reservation is misguided and luring people into a situation they otherwise would have no financial risk, or benefit, to simply postpone.  Carnival people are crying tears of joy about the OBC...I wonder how many would have simply taken an FCC for a less risky time if $100-200 of on board credit wasn't waved at them.  I've read posts on social media from people who were saying they would consider canceling or using their insurance but now the OBC deal is too good to miss.  At this very uncertain and changing time I think people need to consider what risks come with that specialty dinner or excursion being comped.  

• Like 2

I personally don't like the idea of the OBC and think the cruise lines offering this care more about not losing revenue than passenger health and safety.  

If a passenger chooses to sail, they do so at their own will and not because they were offered an enticement.  

• Like 2

I think that another reason for the OBC is so that people do not cancel and then rebook at the lower price.  That would clog up their reservation lines.  Cruise prices have sunk in the last several weeks.

If you are going to cancel you are going to cancel.

Looking at the current prices I think that I will upgrade my stateroom.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

For a Celebrity cruiser the financial inducement may not matter much but on the Carnival social media sites they are practically tears of joy over the 100-200 OBC and making people determined more than ever to get on the ship.  Different socioeconomic backgrounds but amazing people will trade safety for OBC with real world value of 30 cents on the dollar 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

I personally don't like the idea of the OBC and think the cruise lines offering this care more about not losing revenue than passenger health and safety.  

If a passenger chooses to sail, they do so at their own will and not because they were offered an enticement.  

Up until last week when we embarked on our cruise to the Caribbean, I think I would have agreed with you.  However, after disembarking yesterday from a ship that was only 2/3's full, I realized a couple of things:

1.  Though there are some things to consider and be aware of, the hype has created unrealistic fear and down right panic.

2.  This is not just about company greed.  It's about the preservation of thousands of jobs and livelihoods and if a little OBC helps with that, then it's a good thing.

The decision to cancel is personal based on individual circumstances and I would never try to sway one way or the other but I do think the decision should be based on rational thought as opposed to paralyzing fear.

If one is in a high risk category, makes sense to cancel.  If one is in a situation such that they cannot risk a prolonged quarantine, makes sense to cancel.  If neither of those apply to a given situation, then what is the harm in offering a little incentive to keep calm and sail on.... Just my opinion of course.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

Holland America is also giving onboard credit to those that do not cancel.  Very generous I thought 

Princess offer for guests who keep their bookings – March 6—May 31, 2020
Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 6 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts (Note: OBC is automatically applied, no need to call Princess):

• $100USD
  • $150USD
  • $200USD
5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

For a Celebrity cruiser the financial inducement may not matter much but on the Carnival social media sites they are practically tears of joy over the 100-200 OBC and making people determined more than ever to get on the ship.  Different socioeconomic backgrounds but amazing people will trade safety for OBC with real world value of 30 cents on the dollar 

Looks like you can add HAL and Princess to the lines offering this same inducement.

Despite your different socioeconomic background dig at Carnival cruisers, the HAL and PCL customers seem to be displaying the same tears of joy.

-------------------------------

Here's a thread titled: That extra $200 OBC makes me SO happy, and I have no intention of cancelling my April cruise!

Here are happy Holland Responses

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2739890-email-from-orlando-ashford-great-response-to-a-crisis/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AdGuyMG said:

Princess offer for guests who keep their bookings – March 6—May 31, 2020
Guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 6 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit amounts (Note: OBC is automatically applied, no need to call Princess):

• $100USD
  • $150USD
  • $200USD

Looks like you can add HAL and Princess to the lines offering this same inducement.

Despite your different socioeconomic background dig at Carnival cruisers, the HAL and PCL customers seem to be displaying the same tears of joy.

-------------------------------

Here's a thread titled: That extra $200 OBC makes me SO happy, and I have no intention of cancelling my April cruise!

Here are happy Holland Responses

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2739890-email-from-orlando-ashford-great-response-to-a-crisis/

Ultimately they are all the same company - Carnival.

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Up until last week when we embarked on our cruise to the Caribbean, I think I would have agreed with you.  However, after disembarking yesterday from a ship that was only 2/3's full, I realized a couple of things:

1.  Though there are some things to consider and be aware of, the hype has created unrealistic fear and down right panic.

2.  This is not just about company greed.  It's about the preservation of thousands of jobs and livelihoods and if a little OBC helps with that, then it's a good thing.

The decision to cancel is personal based on individual circumstances and I would never try to sway one way or the other but I do think the decision should be based on rational thought as opposed to paralyzing fear.

If one is in a high risk category, makes sense to cancel.  If one is in a situation such that they cannot risk a prolonged quarantine, makes sense to cancel.  If neither of those apply to a given situation, then what is the harm in offering a little incentive to keep calm and sail on.... Just my opinion of course.

Exactly my point.  My husband and I are extremely low risk and will not be cancelling.  Just think it's the right thing to do to show commitment to passengers committed to their brand.  This of course is my opinion only.

• Like 1

We are booked on a Celebrity cruise March 28. We are in our mid-seventies and in good health. That said, I find myself wishing Celebrity would add a special incentive to actually go on this cruise. Our kids are saying don't go. Some government officials are saying folks our age shouldn't fly or cruise. Others downplay the danger. Messages are contradictory. I'm leaning toward going, but as other cruise lines add incentives to show up for booked cruises, such as open bar for every passenger (probably not top shelf drinks), I wish Celebrity would do a little more for us willing to take the risk. Maybe open bar or OBC or discounts on a future cruise or discounts on tours or premium dining or whatever. 

By the way, Hubby doesn't fear Corona virus. He fears being shut in a cabin for two weeks. He is very hyperactive. Being shut in a ship cabin would be the ultimate torture for him. And that would be bad for me because I'd have to put up with his frustrations plus my own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would also be VERY happy to get an extra $200 OBC and NO it would NOT incentivize me to attempt to cruise if I were ill. That’s just stupid! And anyone that does attempt to board a cruise ship when they are sick should be caught by the enhanced screening.  Why even take that chance?

Just my opinion, but I hope

Celebrity decides to offer OBC to incentivize those already booked. 🤞

1 minute ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

We are booked on a Celebrity cruise March 28. We are in our mid-seventies and in good health. That said, I find myself wishing Celebrity would add a special incentive to actually go on this cruise. Our kids are saying don't go. Some government officials are saying folks our age shouldn't fly or cruise. Others downplay the danger. Messages are contradictory. I'm leaning toward going, but as other cruise lines add incentives to show up for booked cruises, such as open bar for every passenger (probably not top shelf drinks), I wish Celebrity would do a little more for us willing to take the risk. Maybe open bar or OBC or discounts on a future cruise or discounts on tours or premium dining or whatever. 

By the way, Hubby doesn't fear Corona virus. He fears being shut in a cabin for two weeks. He is very hyperactive. Being shut in a ship cabin would be the ultimate torture for him. And that would be bad for me because I'd have to put up with his frustrations plus my own. 

I agree!

On some cruises there is an advantage for Celebrity to have people cancel!  If passengers cancel a TA gets no commission. If Celebrity cancels not only does the passenger get a refund, but the TA is paid.

This is important as some cruises are obviously impossible today. France has banned gatherings of over 1000 people. Seems that would cover a ship load of people. More important is Italy. How do you land people at a port where they are likely to be quarantined on returning home. Any idea how a passenger boards at Citiavecchia when they cannot have been it Italy for 14 days?  My TA suggested it is a game of chicken. Some cruises cannot happen unless things change.

Last was told cancellations 4 to 1 over bookings. Bookings mostly for 2021.

2 hours ago, SusieV said:

Guess I’m lowbrow, but $200 would go a ways towards encouraging me to keep my booking.

Count me in too!  I would gladly take a free massage to thank me for keeping my booking.

• Like 1

$200 or drinks or anything for that matter, would be a nice-to-have but would have absolutely no impact on my decision.  I reviewed the coronavirus timeline and it hasn't been 10 weeks since China reported the first case on 31 Dec. My cruise is just over 5 weeks away.  In that amount of time, I might not even have a choice.  Celebrity might not either.  For now, I'm soldiering on to see who blinks first.

• Like 5