Sky Transatlantic March 6 2020 Almost Live

Clay Clayton

Yup.  As I noted previously I won’t be prepaying in the future.  In addition to this situation, we were considering booking a future cruise onboard which would have come with additional obc that we didn’t need.  If we hadn’t prepaid then it would have gone towards the gratuities and the refund of the agent provided obc would have been increased. 

Live and learn. 

38 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Dave, doesn't seem like this topic has much to offer you, Why continue to interrupt those for whom it does? 

Because I marvel at people, like you, who blame Viking for having decided to cruise, and who continue to complain about this and that and the other thing.  

Because I marvel at people, like you, who blame Viking for having decided to cruise, and who continue to complain about this and that and the other thing.  
Virtually the definition of "troll."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi Dave. My husband and I met you and Linda on the Baltic cruise last July — a fellow melanoma survivor if you recall. I wonder if in these trying times it might be better to try to help relieve the stress rather than exacerbate it. Just a thought. 😊

• Like 1

Dave...

Please don't lose faith!

I stand strong with you......well I will stand approximately 6 feet from you.

So many self righteous complainers on this thread.

I will make them happy...no longer will be notified of any "updates".

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, millybess said:

Hi Dave. My husband and I met you and Linda on the Baltic cruise last July — a fellow melanoma survivor if you recall. I wonder if in these trying times it might be better to try to help relieve the stress rather than exacerbate it. Just a thought. 😊

Interesting comment. I would say, however, that the people who complain about Viking’s decision to sail, or the size of a credit, or the compensation they received, or the gratuities they paid, or whatever else they choose to complain about, are the ones who are exacerbating the stress.  Just a thought.

This is our place to share information. Some see it as complaining. They want to prevent us from being to share this information. They want us not to have the knowledge that others have. Unfortunately, we may need to email each other, as our place here is constantly being compromised. 

johthomas100z@gmail.com

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is this still Cruise Critic? Or should it be Cruise Fanatic? Perhaps the latter domain wasn’t available when this site was launched. 

Critic (noun) - a person who expresses an unfavorable opinion of something. 

As long as the commenting is cruising related, such content seems appropriate. Perceptions and opinions will differ, but this is what makes such a forum useful. 

My primary criticism (also a complaint) is we can’t cruise now and for the foreseeable future ☹️.

55 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

This is our place to share information. Some see it as complaining. They want to prevent us from being to share this information. They want us not to have the knowledge that others have. Unfortunately, we may need to email each other, as our place here is constantly being compromised. 

johthomas100z@gmail.com

If you are going to wander into the middle of an ongoing conversation and disrupt it, at least get your facts right .  No one is trying to prevent anyone from sharing information or from expressing opinions. Compromised?  You have been a member for a week; how can you possibly come to such a conclusion in such a short time?

We are all a bit short-tempered right now and we are all doing our best to remain civil right during these trying times -- and that includes overlooking occasional outbursts from fellow members instead attacking them head on when they have said something we think they should not have said.

• Like 4

Honoj, your definition is only one interpretation of the word critic.  I prefer the second and nicer version as being someone who evaluates something, thus allowing for bad, good or all points in between.  

In this unprecedented situation I can only thank Viking for the way it has dealt with the effects of the pandemic, prioritising safety for passengers and crew and getting people home by whatever means possible.  Sorting out refunds etc. will quite rightly be at a later date but I feel they will do the right thing.  

• Like 4

Peregrina of the 10,000 club. When one joins is irrelevant. I think you have this backward. It was my opinions that were being attacked. I asked why and was insulted several times.  Of course I could ask the moderators to step in here and remove the compromisers of this topic.  But chose to once again say, This is a place for those of us that sailed on the Sky, March 6. This is our place to communicate information about the exact topic, Sky Transatlantic, March 6. Anyone who talks of anything else or insults those of us who do  IS a disruptor. I did not create this place, Clay did. 

Thank you for the emails I have received. Maybe we can come back here to our topic and  maybe not. 

Edited by jonthomas
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 1:22 PM, jacquesmm said:

An email from Viking arrived offering some compensation. Those who were on the cruise should get the same one. It is not as much as I hoped but it isn't bad. I am not going to post what they propose right now or my thoughts about it because of the previous argumentative reactions by some forum members that were not on the cruise. Let them guess . . .

Seems we can no longer discuss anything here without being told our opinions are judged by the date we joined,( by the way that means very little as many of us  join and rejoin ),  by the level of gratefulness, by how carefully we phrase our comments so they don't seem like we are complaining. I understand why you could not mention any facts here , not under this kind of scrutiny. Not only has this place been compromised but sabotaged as well. 

I am keeping in touch with many that we met on the cruise as well as with those who have emailed me as a result of not being able to speak freely here. 

• Like 1

Jonthomas, don't give up. I was attacked the same way by two of those trolls. There is a button somewhere that allows you to not see posts by a particular member.

Some people are just bitter and mean, ignore them. 

It would be nice if a forum administrator intervened to help us post about our experience without being attacked. 

Thank you Jacq. I was going to post from a name I used when we first started cruising, which was a very long time ago .  But cruising in the 90s was a very different experience than it is now. What my concerns may  have been all those years ago, are certainly very different now. Having joined CC in the 90s gives me no more credibility than having joined today, it is a very different world.

Back to the topic at hand and that is sharing our experiences pre , during and post our cruise on the Viking Sky, March 6.

We have not heard anything back from Viking and I don't expect to.  I know they are very busy. I am looking forward to seeing the new itineraries come out for 2020. Someone said it may be April. Yes I know it may be  a very long time before any of us are cruising again, but it gives one something to look forward to. 

Edited by jonthomas

I spoke with our Viking rep yesterday, not about refunds or vouchers but to start planing two new cruises. One will be the same Transatlantic next year and the other something in Polynesia if and when it becomes available. No new itineraries at this point.

I deal with small refund adjustments by email. No hurry, we are talking about small amounts.