UNBELIEVABLE-If quarantined NCL contract states passengers can be “charged $ for maintenance”

preemiemd

As a platinum (nearly platinum plus) Latitudes member booked for a cruise leaving out of Italy in May, I am disappointed that there has been no meaningful communication from NCL regarding the COVID19 pandemic. While other cruise lines are offering generous cancellation policies, NCL remains silent. And to add insult to injury I just reviewed the NCL Guest Ticket contract and was appalled to learn, what is stated in item 6e (Vessel and Voyage:Compliance with Government Orders) 

“Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety. In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising. Costs connected with embarkation or debarkation of Guests and/or baggage and costs of transfer between vessel and shore as a result of the circumstances enumerated in this paragraph must be borne by the Guest.”

https://www.ncl.com/oci/contracts/en-US

So basically if quarantined, NCL will even charge you for having to endure the miserable (and dangerous) experience that you would have preferred to avoid in the first place. Time to try Royal Caribbean....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, preemiemd said:

As a platinum (nearly platinum plus) Latitudes member booked for a cruise leaving out of Italy in May, I am disappointed that there has been no meaningful communication from NCL regarding the COVID19 pandemic. While other cruise lines are offering generous cancellation policies, NCL remains silent. And to add insult to injury I just reviewed the NCL Guest Ticket contract and was appalled to learn, what is stated in item 6e (Vessel and Voyage:Compliance with Government Orders) 

“Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety. In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising. Costs connected with embarkation or debarkation of Guests and/or baggage and costs of transfer between vessel and shore as a result of the circumstances enumerated in this paragraph must be borne by the Guest.”

So basically if quarantined, NCL will even charge you for having to endure the miserable (and dangerous) experience that you would have preferred to avoid in the first place. Time to try Royal Caribbean....

Well let them try this and see if a smear campaign doesn’t go global in a flash.

we have a Caribbean cruise coming up this Sunday. I have been so looking forward to it as we had to cancel our December cruise to my grown son having a brain bleed. It has been a rough 3 months. Now the shadow of this virus on top of everything. Hard to get excited about the cruise with all the what if’s. 

We always have insurance but never figured anything like this would come along and we would need cfar.  When i book i have every intention of going. When we had to cancel in December we recouped everything except cost of insurance. 

I guess traveling may be a thing of the past for us if all this keeps up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

By “maintenance” they mean food, etc.

Why should they provide you with food at their expense if the government forces you to stay on the ship?

There is no “free lunch” - literally!

I think it comes down to how NCL defines "maintenance" and how they choose to fulfill that and charge for it.

If they were to quarantine me and serve me hospital food but charge me restaurant prices...oh sorry, no that's Red Lobster.   (Kidding!)

Well, we are sailing on March 8th. Haven't started travel yet, but as soon as I saw the policy change I called in.

No flexibility. So we, from Seattle area, are left with 2 options - (1) throw away all our money, or (2) ignore government advice not to travel, avoid gatherings etc. Being from Seattle, an area with students who attend schools now closed and with most major businesses requiring anyone who can to work from home, why am I given no option but to continue with my travel or throw away my money. I am Latitudes Gold but this (if I go) will be my last NCL Cruise. Maybe I should escalate my case to Mike Pence for his meeting with the cruise lines tomorrow. What is the difference in terms of safety from doing it effective immediately or doing it next Tuesday - it just puts more people at risk. Of course, the obvious answer, is that it's about the money for NCL. Sad....

I note that Holland America also brought in a 3 day cancellation policy but also WAIVED the 3 day requirement for anyone with imminent sailings. Called NCL and escalated to a supervisor who fully understood but said that they have NO FLEXIBILITY in this policy. 

So, congratulations NCL for continuing to put people at risk.

• Like 2

I just saw that NCL finally published an amended cancellation policy similar to the other cruise lines which is good news. Unfortunately for those passengers aboard the Grand Princess it appears they will require quarantine as several onboard have tested positive for COVID19-I sincerely hope they don’t incur additional costs.......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

4 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

By “maintenance” they mean food, etc.

Why should they provide you with food at their expense if the government forces you to stay on the ship?

There is no “free lunch” - literally!

You can’t be serious..

• Like 3

Stuff like this is just the lawyers throwing items in to cover the company.  NCL has the ability to use it but won’t because it’s bad press.  It’s not different than the cruise contracts stating that no compensation is due to the guest if something goes wrong but then the cruise line gives refunds and FCC.  
Is it extreme?  Yes but it’s probably there for a specific guest that recklessly does something that gets cruise stopped or quarantined.  Like if you go on the cruise knowing you have a virus and get the whole cruise quarantined. 

• Like 1

So we are digging up things in the future that could possibly offend us now.  Classic.

Just encouraging folks to be informed, educated consumers and read their contracts. That way people can only be “offended” by their own stupidity if something happens that they should have known and understood before hand .

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 1

Informed?  LOL....no....you just created some hypothetical version of events as fact followed by a rant of changing cruise lines.

You are just looking for a seat on the drama train.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, tgloersen said:

I'm trying to figure out what being Platinum has anything to do with this?

The Center for Disease Control in a press release cited Platinum cruisers as being more susceptible to catching the Corona Virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, tgloersen said:

Agree!! Yet another "I'm Platinum" status symbol only in the mind of those that continually spew this sentence for any given issue.

17 hours ago, preemiemd said:

Could charge you not will charge you. I highly doubt that would happen unless someone boarded the ship knowing they were infected.

Could charge you not will charge you. I highly doubt that would happen unless someone boarded the ship knowing they were infected.

I’m betting if you look at any cruise line contract that you will see similar verbiage.

And, as others pointed out, it does not say that they WILL charge you.

Don’t understand the whole getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. Contract also says they can change scheduled ports.

Darn them- I’m actual Platinum Plus- what if we go to Alaska instead of Venice?! I deserve better![emoji849][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, tgloersen said:

Well....how would you know if thye didn't tell you?  LOL

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1