Isopropyl alcohol

dgreeney

Hi

I can imagine if the cruise terminal staff haven't been specifically directed othewise you could see the possibility of them refusing because of either/or the "bottle" might not be allowed in itself also it would at the same time contain alcohol, which under normal conditions would not be allowed. Who knows, they might be reasonable, but I would caution, don't count on it. You could consider wipes.

have a great cruise 

• Like 1

Be warned isopropyl is a flammable liquid with a very low flash point. It vapourises at room temperature and should be use in well ventilated areas only.

I have no idea how up to date security are, so you might be able to get it passed them. But you would be better off bringing IPA wipes.

14 hours ago, dgreeney said:

Can I bring on board a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in a pint plastic bottle to use to wipe down surfaces , and my hands?

Yes, you can bring isopropyl alcohol. No need to over think this or over anyalize. No need to bring along an entire bottle of isopropyl alcohol or original packaging; its not required. We use/transfer alcohol to a small 2 or 3 oz. (travel size) plastic bottle or spray bottle. Simply pack in your checked luggage with your toiletries. We do the same with Peroxide...

20200308-082925.jpg

✌️

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dgreeney said:

Can I bring on board a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in a pint plastic bottle to use to wipe down surfaces , and my hands?

It's considered an accelerant and wouldn't be allowed on a plane, hopefully not a ship either.

Hi ObstructedView2 ☺️

My wife & I use similar travel size bottles as well for witch hazel, peroxide & alcohol. They have always been a part of our 1st aid kit when traveling.

🌴

1 hour ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Yes, you can bring isopropyl alcohol. No need to over think this or over anyalize. No need to bring along an entire bottle of isopropyl alcohol or original packaging; its not required. We use/transfer alcohol to a small 2 or 3 oz. (travel size) plastic bottle or spray bottle. Simply pack in your checked luggage with your toiletries. We do the same with Peroxide...

20200308-082925.jpg

✌️

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

If you bring isopropyl alcohol make sure it is 91%, not 70%.

Clorox wipes are best. But you can make your own sanitizer with alcohol, alone gel and any essential oil with aroma you like. Recipes are on the web.

Most so called recipes on the web call for using cheap vodka which is fairly ineffective because it is only 40% alcohol (80 proof). You can certainly make it with isopropyl alcohol but you will have to deal with the smell. Adding essential (fragrant) oil to the mix will just get you smelly isopropyl.

Hand sanitizer is just a temporary (when necessary) go between. Good old fashioned soap and water and a good scrubbing is still the most effective way to kill germs.

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chadci said:

IF you can even find it in the stores. We use it for various things at home and it's been sold out nearly everywhere.

This^^^^^^^^

I went to several of the dollar stores, and their knock off brands were gone. I was lucky to find 3 bottles of hand sanitizer in a super market.

Someone else suggested taking Clorox wipes out of the container and placing some in different quart size storage bags to use on planes and once in cabin.  TSA is  okay with that.  I buy these in bulk from Costco all the time.

• Like 1

if you are going to transfer hydrogen perioxide, please do it last minute from a fresh bottle. once opened it is only good for about 6 weeks or less. unopened (aka sealed) bottle 6mon-3 years. i work in a science museum and we use hydrogren perioxide for a lot of our experiments and once opened (and if left in the light-so if you use those clear bottles, cover it with dark coloured duct tape), it needs to be used soon.

if you have an already opened bottle, you can test it to see if it is still good. splash some in your sink or mix it with yeast. you should see the bubbles in your sink

On 3/8/2020 at 7:14 AM, SDPadreFan said:

Good old fashioned soap and water and a good scrubbing is still the most effective way to kill germs.

Not quite:

Soap and water don't kill germs; they work by mechanically removing them from your hands. ... Even people who are conscientious about washing their hands make the mistake of not drying them properly. Wet hands are more likely to spread germs than dry ones